PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to regret this?

Scott Berg
12-22-2005, 3:37 PM
I went over to the local Lowe's at lunch today to "browse" for new tools that I need (ha, ha). I am not really in need of anything at the moment power tool-wise, but it is always fun to look.
So there I am looking at the routers and a Dewalt rep walks up to me. She asks me if I have any questions about the "new" Dewalt router on the shelf in front of me. It is the 2-1/4 hp Dewalt DW618B3 with 3 bases priced at $224. I tell her that I am just looking around but was wondering if she knew whether or not Lowes was going to have a 20% off power tools promotion this year.
She says that she doesn't know but if that is all that is keeping me from buying the router today, she will give me a gift card equal to 20% off the price of the router if I buy today.
I thought about it and decided NOT to buy. Not sure what Santa is bringing me....

Did I just make a big mistake by passing? Is this really a deal, amazon has it for $250.
Go easy on me please, I am still wondering if I should swing by on the way home tonight.....

Richard Wolf
12-22-2005, 3:44 PM
It depends what she looks like!!

Richard

Bob Noles
12-22-2005, 3:45 PM
Me thinks you made a mistake :(

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 3:48 PM
Scott - You walked away from a woman who wanted to give you decent money towards a tool? You got bigger problems than regret.:D

Brian Hale
12-22-2005, 3:58 PM
A couple months ago i bought that router with 2 bases (fixed and plunge) for $229 from Lowes. When i checked out i got a rebate coupon for a free d-handle base. It hasn't arrived yet but.....

You could have gotten the same thing for ~50 less.

I suggest you leave work NOW and get back over there! Heck, see if you can get a 25% gift card.

Brian :)

Have you left yet?

David Duke
12-22-2005, 4:00 PM
:eek: Heresy, sheer heresy!!!!!!!!!:eek:

First you say you don't really need a new tool then when the nice lady offers to knock off 20% you turn her down .................!!!!!

Donnie Raines
12-22-2005, 4:02 PM
If you don't need it....your loss is minimal. Sounds like a heck of a deal...only if you needed it. You could spend the money on something that is needed rather then throw it away at some pretty girl.(I assume she was pretty..:rolleyes: ).

Scott Berg
12-22-2005, 4:04 PM
Hey you guys are supposed to make me feel better, not worse! :)

I usually go with my gut instinct which was to buy it. I can always return it later, right?

Think I left the water on at home and need to leave work right now!

Steve Clardy
12-22-2005, 4:05 PM
I've passed up a lot of good tool deals over the years, and usually regreted it later on.

Richard Wolf
12-22-2005, 4:16 PM
How does that saying go?
I spend a great deal of my money on tools and women, the rest of it I wasted!

Richard

David Duke
12-22-2005, 4:19 PM
How does that saying go?
I spend a great deal of my money on tools and women, the rest of it I wasted!

Richard

I resemble that remark:D :D :D !!!!

Gary Herrmann
12-22-2005, 5:04 PM
Did I just make a big mistake by passing? Is this really a deal, amazon has it for $250.

I would say, Yes. But you may still have time to rectify it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2005, 5:07 PM
Scott you did what????:eek: :eek: You didn't follow your gut instinct!!:eek:

John Bailey
12-22-2005, 5:13 PM
Hey Scott,

I regret it just from hearing about it!!:o

John

Jim Dannels
12-22-2005, 5:53 PM
Well maybe? Like Brian Hale, I bought in on the same deal.
You could start an arguement by asking which router is best in this category. Many swear by the Bosch, or PC.
I handled all 3 and felt like the Dewalt felt best in my hands.
If its any good it will take at least 20 years to determine if that was a mistake?

Rich Torino
12-22-2005, 6:08 PM
Hey Scott,

not to worry.....6-8 months of theraphy and you'll be back to normal again.....

Kelly C. Hanna
12-22-2005, 6:30 PM
Hahaha....that's a good one Andy!!!

Wow, I've never seen a rep do that before....and you passed it up huh? I guess I would have done the same thing since I have four routers already.

Jerry Olexa
12-22-2005, 9:40 PM
Go find her and Buy it!! Esp if its the router you need/want. That's a pretty good deal..

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2005, 9:49 PM
Scott....the biggest regret you'll have is telling anyone at this site what you did!:eek: :D

Anthony Anderson
12-22-2005, 9:59 PM
Yep, you made a big mistake! Sorry! I hope you feel better soon. That was a great deal on that set. ~$175 (after the 20% gift card) WOW, are you still kicking yourself? Man I would be! I hope you made it back to pick it up. You are going to regret this one! No mail in rebate to mess around with? You should have jumped on that one. Well, anyway, I hope I made you feel better. Run she may still be there. Let us know what happens. Later, Bill

Dave Lehnert
12-22-2005, 10:35 PM
I have that router. Love it.

I have a better story to tell. About two years ago (a store) had the wrong stock number on a rebate form on their web page. It was a $50 rebate on any Porter cable tool listed. The wrong number was for a palm sander that retailed for $49. They paid me a dollar to buy the thing . I found out it was truly a mistake when they changed their stock number on that item. I asked a rep from PC and they said it was a mistake but they honored the rebate with no questions.

Jim Becker
12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
To the OP...the only problem with what the woman said to you was the use of the word "new"...the DW618 has been available for a few years now and was introduced to the world at the IWF in Atlanta back in about 2003 or so. That said...great router. I have it an all three bases and love it. (Only my two Festool routers make me smile more and for different reasons)