PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question, why is this called SMC?

Scott Berg
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Ok, maybe I have a little too much time on my hands but as a member of this site and frequent visitor, question came to mind this morning.
Why is this site called Saw Mill Creek? Is there really a creek by this name?
If you don't know the real answer, a really interesting "tall tale" is acceptable!!

Dave Anderson NH
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Keith Outten can give a full blown description. The short version of the story is that the website needed a name and a vote was taken after folks made a wide variety of suggestions. Sawmill Creek won.

One thing though Scott, you never need give this group encouragement to spin tall tales. We all do pretty well without being egged on.:D

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 3:00 PM
Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h.....let's see now......

Oh yes....Sawmill Creek....the name......

Yes, yes.....Well, ya see, Keith Outten is an old coot and he used to work at a Sawmill and all his joints got real "creeky".....and since he hosted the forum for all us woodworkers? He decided to call it Sawmill Creek.......or is that Sawmill Creak? :confused: :rolleyes: :p :D

Tyler Howell
12-22-2005, 3:18 PM
Even I know that it's the creek just past the beaver pond that generates the water power for all the lumber cut many years ago by that old coot Keith:p

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2005, 3:31 PM
Let's see if I have this correctly.....One Moderator and the Official Chief of the Photo Cops is calling the owner and Administrator of SMC "old coot"?:confused: .......We are indeed go to the dogs!:( :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 4:06 PM
Let's see if I have this correctly.....One Moderator and the Official Chief of the Photo Cops is calling the owner and Administrator of SMC "old coot"?:confused: .......We are indeed go to the dogs!:( :eek: :D

LOL!!!!!! Who me? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

tod evans
12-22-2005, 4:08 PM
but the ol` coot has more hair than i do????????

Vaughn McMillan
12-22-2005, 4:45 PM
but the ol` coot has more hair than i do???????? I'm guessin' it's a rug, though. Nobody that old can be so good-looking without some help!

As I understand it, the real story behind the Sawmill Creek moniker is that the original name, "That Woodworking Website Where All The Folks Are The Nicest You'll Find Anywhere On The Internet.org" was a bit too unwieldy. :D

- Vaughn

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 4:48 PM
I'm guessin' it's a rug, though. Nobody that old can be so good-looking without some help!

As I understand it, the real story behind the Sawmill Creek moniker is that the original name, "ThatWoodworkingWebsiteWhereAllTheFolksAreTheNicest You'llFindAnywhereOnTheInternet.org" was a bit too unwieldy. :D

- Vaughn

Vaughn.....:rolleyes: You crack me up!!!!:D

Aaron Koehl
12-22-2005, 5:09 PM
There is, in fact, a Sawmill Creek, as well as a golf resort; none of which I have visited.

It just seemed like a good woodworking-related name. To use a cliche, we threw it at the wall and it stuck. :)

Keith Outten
12-22-2005, 5:18 PM
Let me see if I can recall the details;

When Badger Pond was drying up we went into a panic mode to acquire software and get a server online before the Pond went offline. This was because we wanted to get the word out to everyone where the new Forum would be located.

I (the old coot :) ) registered a domain name quickly and we brought our forums up online in a matter of I believe three days. Here is where it gets kinda interesting.

One of the first threads we started concerned the name of our Forums. Very few of our Members liked the name I selected and there was a lot of discussion concerninig the selection of a new name. One of our Members came up with SawMill Creek and the name was almost instantly accepted. I registered SawMillCreek.org and we quickly reworked our main graphic. We spent a couple of weeks dealing with cookie problems because of the domain name switch from ??????.org to SawMillCreek.org and many of our Members had to request their passwords be changed to solve the problem.

During the first week of operation I made a mistake in the back office and deleted every single thread in our forums, believe me I felt really bad and still do. If I hadn't made such a bone headed mistake I would be able to tell you who coined the name of the Creek, alas the proof is gone forever.

I have a nice gift for the first Member who can tell me the name of the first domain name I registered for our Forums.

Aaron Koehl
12-22-2005, 5:21 PM
This is why nobody operates the back-office but me.. ;) Just needling ya..

Roger Myers
12-22-2005, 9:32 PM
I'm not a founding member, as I didn't join until 2 days after some people :(

But wasn't this simply called "The Creek" I've done some sleuthing to try and confirm that, with no luck...I don't have any records to support it, but my thought was when the pond dried up, The Creek was born....

And, I am so glad it was!!!!!!!

I'd also like to mention to some of the people who might not remember The Pond and Wayne's decision to shut down... as I recall it was based a lot upon the frustrations and work required in a moderated forum, (and a moderated forum being what attracted us to The Creek)...
So please folks...be patient and thankful for our moderators... there are plenty of unmoderated places to hang out if that's your liking...for me, this is the place to be, and I am ever thankful to our admins and moderators for all they do keeping this a friendly body of water.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all....

Roger

Vaughn McMillan
12-23-2005, 4:34 AM
I have a nice gift for the first Member who can tell me the name of the first domain name I registered for our Forums.

.I'm guessing it was WoodenThreads.org. Not an old-timer, but I can use the search function pretty well. ;)

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
12-23-2005, 4:35 AM
So please folks...be patient and thankful for our moderators... there are plenty of unmoderated places to hang out if that's your liking...for me, this is the place to be, and I am ever thankful to our admins and moderators for all they do keeping this a friendly body of water.

Amen to that, Roger. :)

- Vaughn

Keith Outten
12-23-2005, 6:31 AM
Vaughn,

Your right, send me a PM with your postal address.

Vaughn McMillan
12-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Vaughn,

Your right, send me a PM with your postal address. Cool...thanks...and done.

- Vaughn

Larry James
12-24-2005, 6:52 PM
Cool...thanks...and done.

- Vaughn
Congratulations Vaughn,

Did you search at http://web.archive.org/ for WoodenThreads.org?

or try
http://web.archive.org/web/*/WoodenThreads.org

Larry

Randy Moore
12-24-2005, 7:32 PM
I surfed the WWing forums for about 6 months or so. All I saw on a lot of 'em was bickering and fighting:( . I didn't see any of that here:) . Just good natured kidding. That is why I decided to wade into the creek. I don't regret it a bit:D .

To everyone Merry Christmas:D

Jerry Clark
12-25-2005, 9:31 PM
And if you listen to these guys and gals-- you will be on "The slippery Slope"--:) in others words--:rolleyes: "Up the Creek Without a paddle":D :D :D

Ray Bersch
12-25-2005, 9:38 PM
Let me see if I can recall the details;
I made a mistake in the back office and deleted every single thread in our forums
Say, did you work at one time in Washington by any chance? Perhaps with a president called Nixon? Or at an agency with letters for names, like CIA, FBA, NSA?

Merry Christmas Keith, Jackie, Aaron and all the rest.
Ray

Mark Singer
12-25-2005, 11:11 PM
we could call it "Woodworkers to go..." or "Woodworker City" what about"Woodworkers are Us":confused:

Frank Chaffee
12-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Mark,
Using the fonts available, I think that last one would be “Woodworkers era Us”.

Frank

Vaughn McMillan
01-12-2006, 8:51 PM
Congratulations Vaughn,

Did you search at http://web.archive.org/ for WoodenThreads.org?

or try
http://web.archive.org/web/*/WoodenThreads.org

Larry
Sorry for the delay, Larry. (I'd forgotten about this thread.) I just went to the first page of the Support Forum and started reading a few posts. Sooner or later, I came up with this one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52). The early days of SMC make for some interesting reading...just like the present-day stuff. ;)

- Vaughn