PDA

View Full Version : Shaper vs oscillating spindle sander?

Travis Conner
02-18-2020, 10:56 AM
What's the difference?

George Yetka
02-18-2020, 11:00 AM
What's the difference?

A shaper is a super powered router essentially. More capable in many aspects but less versatile.

A spindle sander is used for sanding inside curves

Mike Heidrick
02-18-2020, 11:18 AM
A shaper is a super powered router essentially. More capable in many aspects but less versatile.

A spindle sander is used for sanding inside curves

Less versatile? You have a different shaper than I do. Tilting spindle, feeder to easily climb cut, ER32 collets to handle anything that resembles a router bit or endmill up to 3/4" plus, sliding table, tenoning table, 1 1/4" spindles and 30mm spindles, mount a whole cabinet stack at one time, use Euro insert tooling, heads that have advanced cutter geometry, much gentler cutter angles, many more cutting blades, advanced hold down methods, much larger jig capacity, much quieter, incredible power, ability to swap out spindles and collets, ability to cut in reverse, much larger work table, mass, fence with mcro adjustments, fence with safety bars to surround the cutter, above and below and in fence dust collection. Stomana Hickman T1002S Sliding Table Tilting spindle shaper sold in US by Laguna with Baldor motor and GeFuji Mini VFD.

Mike Cutler
02-18-2020, 12:40 PM
What's the difference?

The shaper, or spindle moulder, is a machine that utilizes larger diameter, metal cutters, to perform a wide variety of tasks in wood working .A shaper has the cutters set at fixed height determined by the operator.
A oscillating spindle sander will operate at lower RPM's, uses a drum/mandrel, of which sandpaper sleeves are affixed. The spindle, or sanding drum rotates, as well as goes up and down.
Both have a spindle that protrudes through the surface of a table, but after that there are very few similarities. Both are very valuable machines in any work shop.

Rod Sheridan
02-18-2020, 3:10 PM
The shaper, or spindle moulder, is a machine that utilizes larger diameter, metal cutters, to perform a wide variety of tasks in wood working .A shaper has the cutters set at fixed height determined by the operator.
A oscillating spindle sander will operate at lower RPM's, uses a drum/mandrel, of which sandpaper sleeves are affixed. The spindle, or sanding drum rotates, as well as goes up and down.
Both have a spindle that protrudes through the surface of a table, but after that there are very few similarities. Both are very valuable machines in any work shop.

And to make things more confusing I use my shaper as a spindle sander although it doesn't oscillate :D..........Rod.

Jeff Monson
02-18-2020, 3:47 PM
And to make things more confusing I use my shaper as a spindle sander although it doesn't oscillate :D..........Rod.

Is that this guy Rod? https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sanding/Sanding-cylinder/Felder-Schleiffix-oxid.html
My spindle sander is a bit of a junker, this may be a good option. Any cons besides non oscillating?

Mike Cutler
02-18-2020, 3:50 PM

I didn't want to go there right off the bat. ;)

Rod Sheridan
02-18-2020, 4:14 PM
Is that this guy Rod? https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sanding/Sanding-cylinder/Felder-Schleiffix-oxid.html
My spindle sander is a bit of a junker, this may be a good option. Any cons besides non oscillating?

Yes, I have 2 spindles. Remember that they are 30mm bore however I believe an American tooling manufacturer also makes them?

The only issue is the non oscillation, for me they work fine...........Rod.

Jeff Monson
02-18-2020, 4:15 PM
Yes, I have 2 spindles. Remember that they are 30mm bore however I believe an American tooling manufacturer also makes them?

The only issue is the non oscillation, for me they work fine...........Rod.

Nice, I have a spare 30mm spindle with its name on it! Thanks

Mike Kees
02-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Amana makes one.

Rod Sheridan
02-19-2020, 5:42 AM
Nice, I have a spare 30mm spindle with its name on it! Thanks

Jeff, measure your spindle to make sure you have enough height....Rod