PDA

View Full Version : Self adjusting Domino fence

Steve Rozmiarek
02-17-2020, 6:55 PM
I bought a Domino years ago, turns out it collects more dust than it makes in my shop, but the perfect paneled end cap job came up last week so I dusted it off and went to work. Cut quite a few mortises before I noticed that the depth fence was adjusting itself. Now I get to redo the whole thing, and the Domino probably won't be involved this round.

Question, I don't see that the depth fence tension is adjustable, Further it's kind of a weak design that is destined to tweak some other part of this thing if I make it tighter. Apparently lots of folks love these, so it's probably a problem on mine only, what's the solution?

glenn bradley
02-17-2020, 7:05 PM
If it is a matter of the lever being fully tightened yet the carriage not being tight enough, this is a common problem if the internet is any indication. The fix is to take out the screw holding the lever on, rotate the lever to the next toothed position and re-tighten the screw. This lets the lever rotate the tightening mechanism a few more degrees. Mine has always worked but, always felt like it was just barely tight enough. I moved the lever one step back and it now tightens just fine; both actually and in my mind ;-)

Brian Ross
02-18-2020, 2:10 AM
Glenn... thanks for the fix, I have experienced Steve’s problem also.

Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2020, 8:36 AM
Thanks Glen. Looks to me like making that tighter pulls the fence crooked. Maybe it's not enough to matter, but seems like they could have a better system. My old Makita biscuit cutter uses a dovetail system that gets squeezed by the clamp, that seems like a better idea.

Robert Engel
02-18-2020, 9:00 AM
I have been frustrated by alignment issues when using the fence, much better results if I register off the base.

Another option is the Seneca plate attachment. I think they came up with it for a reason ;)

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2020, 9:16 AM
I have been frustrated by alignment issues when using the fence, much better results if I register off the base.

Another option is the Seneca plate attachment. I think they came up with it for a reason ;)

I agree, hard to mess something up registered off the base. I didn't want to clean the bench off to get a flat surface for all to register from this time. Being lazy I guess.

Larry Edgerton
02-18-2020, 2:24 PM
I agree, hard to mess something up registered off the base. I didn't want to clean the bench off to get a flat surface for all to register from this time. Being lazy I guess.

But for $1500, should you really have to? I want an infinitely adjustable fence without the silly steps so I can put it where "I" want and have it stay there without resting on a step. Which is why mine collects dust.

Going to Chicago this weekend, going to see if I can get eyes on one of those Lamello do-jiggys, will give you a report.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-18-2020, 2:54 PM
But for $1500, should you really have to? I want an infinitely adjustable fence without the silly steps so I can put it where "I" want and have it stay there without resting on a step. Which is why mine collects dust.

Going to Chicago this weekend, going to see if I can get eyes on one of those Lamello do-jiggys, will give you a report.

I couldn't agree more. I make a living with my tools, no one will be paying me to redo that mess it made. You get the drift of my reason for the post. I have a $50 dowling jig that'll make the same mess for a lot less $. Very interested in your lamello review!