PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar

Rich Stewart
12-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Here is a little cedar bowl that gave me fits. Did this one the same day as my cocobolo box blowout. Was having a tough day. Had much trouble getting the sides inside smooth and kept going deeper as well. Then the bottom tore up because the recess for the chuck was not deep enough. Had to mount it on jumbo jaws and return the bottom. If you hold it up to the light you can read through the bottom. So thin I could poke my finger through it. Hahah. Sounds like a bongo drum if you tap on it. Danish and buffed. Again, sorry for the crappy photography.

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
One thing I've learned to make life easier on me and maybe the items I'm turning? Don't setup to turn via expanding the chuck jaws into a recess. As Bill Grumbine says: You can split your bowl by expanding into a recess, but it's almost impossible to "crush" the tenon.

I'll add one thing I've also learned......You can over-tighten the chuck jaws and "shear" the wood off the tenon.:o :o :eek: DAMHIKT!!!!!!!! So now, I've learned to leave the brute-force for working on the car.!!!!:rolleyes: ;) :D

Rich Stewart
12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Little things you learn along the way. Hahaha. I am starting to move away from that recess bottom. You have to go too deep to get a good hold with the chuck. My wife likes the rings on my bottoms.

Mike Ramsey
12-22-2005, 1:02 PM
My wife likes the rings on my bottoms.

Well....:D my wife has never mentioned it so I guess I don't have any
rings on my bottom...:D Dont like to use cedar for bowls to much as it
usually will have hairline cracks everywhere especially when I forget
to turn the speed down when I sand.

Rich Stewart
12-22-2005, 2:17 PM
funny you should say that. I had several cracks in it that I didnt know where they came from. Weird angles to the grain. I was thinkin, "What the....?" This thing was trouble from start to finish. Next one is a vase with thick walls.