PDA

View Full Version : Tacking

Byron Trantham
07-09-2003, 10:57 AM
What is the best method to tack surfaces that are going to be treated with Shellac and water based dyes and lacquer? I'm told the conventional tack clothes are a no-no for these materials.

Noah Alkinburgh
07-09-2003, 11:02 AM
If you or your wife has a swiffer sweeper or the like you can use the cloths from that...the static charge in them does a great job of picking up the dust...make sure you sanded it very smooth though, other wise you will start leaving pieces of the cloth behind (DAMHIKT)

Noah

Byron Trantham
07-09-2003, 11:08 AM
What a great idea! thanks

Glenn Clabo
07-09-2003, 12:14 PM
What is the best method to tack surfaces that are going to be treated with Shellac and water based dyes and lacquer? I'm told the conventional tack clothes are a no-no for these materials.
Byron,
I found this works even better than the rag type. LOML was using it on the stereo/tv and the light went off...in my head. I ran down into the shop and ran it across a board that was just sanded and it sucked the dust up just as slick as could be. Cost about 6 bucks and even come with a handle.

Byron Trantham
07-09-2003, 2:13 PM
Next, you'll want me to put a mop in my Shop! :D

I'll be gettin' one of these today.

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-09-2003, 2:22 PM
I prefer shop vac and/or compressed air. This does a good job on rough grain such as red oak. Also, the grain raising step I do with WB, seems to do a really nice job getting dust off. I guess the water dampened cloth ends up being a sort of tack rag.

Byron Trantham
07-09-2003, 3:06 PM
Eric, You're right. I didn't put those actions together. I raise the grain also, and it never occurred to me that wetting the surface could also remove the majority of the dust.

Jim Becker
07-09-2003, 6:38 PM

"Tack Rags" are a no-no period.

I blow off the obvious and then use a lint-free paper towel (Scotts "Rags in a Box" in the yellow and blue box from the Big-Box stores...whew! A lot of boxes there) and mineral spirits to get the "not obvious". I use these same rags for application of dyes and finishes...they are a staple in my shop.