PDA

View Full Version : Boy oh boy, that David Marks!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Pettibone
12-22-2005, 9:43 AM
Hello All

I just got to see his project on the treasure box. Man oh man does he make it look easy. About 18 minutes and 38 seconds (without commercials) of highlights on the involved and not so involve parts, and voila, we have a completed project that would be the highlight of most woodworkers careers. Not to mention he's over 50 and he's got all his hair:eek:, what a woodworking stud!!!

Just kidding of course, I know the planning and time it actually takes to make a project is far greater than what we see on tv. But jeez, he really shows some great details and neat techniques to achieve those details in such a short time. Then he conveys it so smoothly that I think I can actually build it myself:eek: :eek: :eek: . Yes, now I am dreaming, but he is quite a smart fella and really has some neat projects. Our 6 year old daughter likes watching him as much as I do. Taking a class from that guy one-on-one would be quite a trip. If I had a choice on a 7 day cruise or one day with David Marks, well, you know what my choice would be......SAWDUST:D trumps the sea everytime!!!! I hope the show comes out of hiatus soon:) and we get some more projects. Take care!

David

p.s. I still love Norm too!!!

Tom Conger
12-22-2005, 9:50 AM
I have recorded every one of his shows on TIVO. I use it as a reference library. Not that I can ever get anything to look like what he does....

Chris Barton
12-22-2005, 9:52 AM
I saw (and recorded) the same episode this morning. Probably the only thing I would do differently would be using HB dovetails to join the sides rather than the half lap and brass pins. A great project!

Jim DeLaney
12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
A couple years ago, at the Ontario (California) Woodworking show, David did a class on making that chest. He also had the original on display in his demo area. It's definitely a fine piece of craftsmanship.

I didn't take the class, but did talk to David for a short while, after Ellis Walentine (from WoodCentral) introduced us. Very friendly and outgoing guy. I'd really like to take one of his classes someday!

Jim Hinze
12-22-2005, 10:59 AM
I did spend 2 days at his shop doing a 1-on-1 class on double bevel marquetry. He is an excellent teacher and it was an experience that will stay with me forever. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the trip.

Ken Garlock
12-22-2005, 11:24 AM
David is one of a kind, for sure. He is just as nice a fellow in person as you think when you see him on TV. He was at the Dallas WW show a couple weeks ago. He cut a marquetry demo for the group, and when he passed it around, I couldn't tell where he had added to the existing design. And it was done on a DeWalt $400 scroll saw!:eek:

He also passed around some examples of using brass tubing in designs. The most impressive thing for me was the finish on the example. It was probably just another day in the shop for him; and two weeks for me if I could even do it at all.:o

Mark Singer
12-22-2005, 11:31 AM
David, is a nice guy too! Very creative and has tried so many different techniques....I think he is extrenely well rounded.

Tim Farrell
12-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I took a one day class (1 on 1) from David about 1 yr ago and it was a tremendous experience. I am a total novice and David was really patient with me. He could have easily blown off the time with me and rushed through it given my skill level - but he took it seriously and gave me his undivided attention. If you get the chance - take it. You will learn a ton!!!

Don Naples
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
You can keep tabs on where David is teaching and the classes offered at his website:
http://www.djmarks.com/channels/djmnews.asp