PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell - My First Ever Coffee Table Build

JohnM Martin
02-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Recently I finished up my first coffee table build, and just wanted to share. I'm proud of it, but don't look too close, I'm a rookie afterall :) Overall this was a really enjoyable build. I bought the logs from a guy that had a storm take down the trees. I hauled the logs to my local sawmill where they were milled to 8/4 and 5/4 boards. Then, I had to let the wood air dry for a couple of years in my dad's barn. Finally, I was able to turn it into something - something that will (hopefully) outlive me.

I can't take credit for the design - inspired by a 1950s Jens Risom table I found somewhere online.

https://mattmartinbackup.s3.amazonaws.com/woodworking/coffeetable.mp4

Todd Zucker
02-12-2020, 11:38 PM
I like the design, and the Wood has some nice figure. What was the finish that you used?

JohnM Martin
02-13-2020, 9:11 AM
I like the design, and the Wood has some nice figure. What was the finish that you used?

Thanks, Todd. I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal for the finish.

Frank Pratt
02-13-2020, 9:52 AM
That's a beautiful table John. I love Arm-R-Seal & it's probably the finish I use the most.

lowell holmes
02-13-2020, 10:05 AM
What wood did you use and what is the finish in it?
Nice table.

Bruce Volden
02-13-2020, 10:22 AM
John,
That is one nice looking table! I like the design and finish.
My tastes lend toward less sharp corners having had many foster children pass through here.

Bruce

JohnM Martin
02-13-2020, 11:04 AM
That's a beautiful table John. I love Arm-R-Seal & it's probably the finish I use the most.

Thank you, Frank. This is my 3rd piece I've finished with Arm-R-Seal and the best result yet. I think I am starting to get comfortable with it so I'm going to keep using it. I just wish it was more readily available.

JohnM Martin
02-13-2020, 11:05 AM
What wood did you use and what is the finish in it?
Nice table.

Thank you, Lowell. This is air dryed black walnut finished in Arm-R-Seal satin.

JohnM Martin
02-13-2020, 11:07 AM
John,
That is one nice looking table! I like the design and finish.
My tastes lend toward less sharp corners having had many foster children pass through here.

Bruce

Thank you, Bruce! I really enjoy some of the midcentury designs. What is your method for easing the corners?

Frank Pratt
02-13-2020, 1:51 PM
What is your method for easing the corners?

I use a block plane prior to sanding.

Jim Koepke
02-13-2020, 2:26 PM
Thank you, Bruce! I really enjoy some of the midcentury designs. What is your method for easing the corners?

I use a block plane prior to sanding.

Try a few of these:

Smaller hollows are great for doing just a corner. The bigger ones are good for a full edge:

A well tuned plane with a sharp blade can virtually eliminate the need for sandpaper.

jtk

Christopher Charles
02-13-2020, 2:57 PM
Nice design and some great figure in those boards. And even better since you know the source of the boards. Will look forward to seeing your next project.

Best,
Chris

Frank Pratt
02-13-2020, 4:26 PM
To elaborate further; I generally prefer the look of a chamfered edge to a round over. But just doing a chamfer with a plane still leaves those 45* corners that are a little too sharp. A quick pass with 220 grit sandpaper softens them slightly without rounding them too much

Jim Koepke
02-13-2020, 4:33 PM
To elaborate further; I generally prefer the look of a chamfered edge to a round over. But just doing a chamfer with a plane still leaves those 45* corners that are a little too sharp. A quick pass with 220 grit sandpaper softens them slightly without rounding them too much

On the bottom row of planes the 4th & 5th plane from the right both make chamfers of different sizes.

With the molding planes it is possible to make infinite shapes:

This is a much larger size than most tables would use, but it illustrates possibilities.

jtk

Pat Barry
02-13-2020, 8:18 PM
Very nice table. What are the dimensions?

Frank Pratt
02-13-2020, 8:35 PM
Try a few of these:

jtk

I think you're a bit of a plane junkie. :)

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2020, 9:15 PM
Very nice wrk..The walnut looks excellent!!!! Good results!!!

Ray Newman
02-13-2020, 11:36 PM
As others posted, very good use of the wood grain pattern. The finish really make the grain standout. A job well done!

Jim Koepke
02-14-2020, 1:33 AM
I think you're a bit of a plane junkie. :)

You got me. :D

jtk

JohnM Martin
02-17-2020, 9:38 AM
Very nice wrk..The walnut looks excellent!!!! Good results!!!

Thank you, Jerry!

Mark Rainey
02-17-2020, 12:52 PM
John, you are a true Neanderthal lugging logs from a downed tree to the sawmill! The walnut is beautiful, retaining a depth and clarity without being dark.