PDA

View Full Version : New From Laguna

Barry McFadden
02-12-2020, 10:22 AM
This looks like a pretty nice lathe for those with not much space.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_pa6-7WVM&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=Dealers+info&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=83208853&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8FoHbCz_lLT84xaKuiNYqYhQxzADkviVdP1Xj3bkjDxOD83jo6 fqpA4cISXFqhrX36Mw0XbTd-ZiJpb5375_8_NOtXioZvIN9SzRapYgKYJkuNwek&_hsmi=83208532

David M Peters
02-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Neat! It's great that turners continue to see new products offered pushing the boundaries of usability and quality.

This one has an adjustable tailstock quill.. Kinda seems like solution in search of a problem, and I wonder if the plate would move around over time.

Above image is from the manual https://lagunalathe.com/15-24

Timothy Thorpe Allen
02-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Seems like the quill adjustment is a way to compensate for poor quality control in manufacturing the tailstock in the first place. I wonder if the adjustment hold over the whole range of quill extension, or is really only good for how ever far the quill was out when you adjusted it....?

Barry McFadden
02-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Seems like the quill adjustment is a way to compensate for poor quality control in manufacturing the tailstock in the first place. I wonder if the adjustment hold over the whole range of quill extension, or is really only good for how ever far the quill was out when you adjusted it....?

Don't understand the comment..... it's like saying a car manufacturer provides adjustment for a front end alignment to compensate for poor manufacturing of the front end in the first place!!

Timothy Thorpe Allen
02-13-2020, 7:37 AM
Barry, I guess I don't see a wood lathe's tailstock quill assembly being subject to the same kind of wear as a vehicle front end. Either the machining of all the lathe's parts is to spec and within tolerances so that the centers align, from the get-go, or it isn't.... As David says, "seems like solution in search of a problem." That's all.

Barry McFadden
02-13-2020, 8:13 AM
Oh well.... I guess that any company that brings out a tool with something that's adjustable on it is just compensating for poor manufacturing......

tom lucas
02-13-2020, 6:26 PM
I like it. Big capability in a small space. Innovative Design.

Mick Fagan
02-16-2020, 4:18 AM
Finally they have a solution for their spindle lock, which isn't a lock.

It is now spring loaded, which as I understand, means you set it, attach or un-attach your chuck or whatever, then move the spindle via the handle and your spindle lock springs back.

As for the tail stock centring assembly, I've seen a huge German metal lathe with something very similar decades ago in Germany. Would certainly beat mucking around with various movements to perfectly align the head and tail stock assemblies.

Thanks for the link Barry.

Mick.

Dick Strauss
02-16-2020, 10:25 AM
The tailstock offset helps to turn tapered items like pool cues and fly rods on a pattern lathe where the wood is angled and you make a straight cut with a carriage/cross-slide running parallel to the bed. I don't see a whole lot of use on a wood lathe without the carriage.