PDA

View Full Version : Link Belt on VS lathe drive?

Mac McAtee
12-22-2005, 8:36 AM
I have a recently purchased older Delta variable speed lathe. You turn the handle to change the speed of the driven shaft. There is a small vibration that I attribute to the drive system. A belt from the motor to a slave shaft and a longer belt from the slave shaft to the driven shaft. I think that with all the components involved that the vibration is coming from the belts. I put new bearings on the driven shaft.

Since those link belts are sold, link belt being a belt made up of a bunch of small pieces linked together, are sold to reduce vibration on table saws and band saws I was wondering if they could be used on a lathe variable speed drive system? Would the sheaves that move towards and away from each other effect the link belt and cause any problems? Anyone ever try this?

tod evans
12-22-2005, 8:39 AM
mac, the fenner belts would help with your vibration but on a reaves drive i think you would be best served with a high quality cogged belt...02 tod

Gary Max
12-22-2005, 9:35 AM
Mac if I am reading your post right----you have a Reeves drive on your lathe and are wanting to use a link belt. A reeves drive will eat the belt very quick since the belt really doesn't have sides. Your best bet would be to buy a machine quality belt for your lathe---I just bought a green belt for my old Delta----they last me a long time.