PDA

View Full Version : Pochade (sketch) box

Dan Forman
12-22-2005, 2:38 AM
This is a little pochade box I made. It will be used for painting "en plein air" or "on the spot". These paintings are generally small, as they must be completed quickly, because when you are out in nature, the light changes enough over a period of two hours or so that things will look quite differently than when you started. This size box is sometimes called a thumb box, folded up the outside dimensions are about 8x7x2". It's made of butternut and baltic birch ply.

These are good to use when you need to walk some distance from the car, or for painting in the car when weather is cold or disagreeable in other ways. It's made to hold a 6x8 inch panel either horizontally or vertically, though will also hold up to an 8x12 in horizontal orientation.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
12-22-2005, 4:15 AM
Very nicely done, Dan. Now we can see what you were milling brass for a few days ago. Is the lower (larger) knob wood?

I can barely paint a wall, let alone a landscape. I admire those who can draw or paint freehand.

- Vaughn

John Hart
12-22-2005, 5:20 AM
What a cool project Dan! ...and pretty too. I've never seen one before so I think I'll be staring at this for a while. Thanks!!:)

Dan Forman
12-22-2005, 6:07 AM
Very nicely done, Dan. Now we can see what you were milling brass for a few days ago. Is the lower (larger) knob wood?
- Vaughn

Vaughn ---Yes, I only had two of the plastic ones, needed three, and it was late in the evening. Would have switched with the one in the back so they matched, but the woody I made from a larger bolt, having run out of same sized inserts. I'm planning on making a larger box too, will probably make all of the knobs for that one.

John---It was fun to make, a challenge to figure out how to make the mast style panel holder.

Dan

Don Dean
12-22-2005, 7:42 AM
Clever idea. Nice job. I have a son who is an artist, can't wait to show him.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2005, 7:54 AM
Very nice Dan. I am like Vaughn and can't even paint stick people.

Mark Singer
12-22-2005, 8:12 AM
Dan,
Very nice desgn....it makes me want to sketch something....Great!