PDA

View Full Version : Dsl

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-22-2005, 2:35 AM
Rural phone company told me several months back that we would forever be stuck with dial-up, because we're too far away from the relay station (?). Yesterdday afternoon they called and told me DSL is now available for $10 more monthly. :) I asked them could I come get the stuff right now? :D

It's been misery having to do anything at home after sitting at work all night with 'fastest of the fast' capability. I'm pretty well tickled.

KC

Vaughn McMillan
12-22-2005, 4:19 AM
That's great news, KC, and sounds like a great price.

Now we can all start typing normal speed again...we won't have to wait around for you to catch up. :rolleyes: :D

- Vaughn

John Hart
12-22-2005, 5:11 AM
Congratulations KC. Bet you're on pins and needles now that you get to wait for installation....I know I was.;) :)

Jerry Clark
12-22-2005, 9:32 AM
That is great KC, I changed about a year ago and also got wireless-- would never go back! :D

Gary Herrmann
12-22-2005, 9:51 AM
You'll wonder how you were ever able to stand modem access speeds. I do still have a 1200 baud modem in the basement somewhere if you want to go retro. :D

Wolf Kiessling
12-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Sheesh, I wish my ISP would call me with news like that. I'm also out in the county and was told I'm two miles out of range. I can, of course, get the wireless high speed access, via Directv, but I'm not about to spend the kind of money for the equipment necessary to accomplish this. Well, maybe one of these days.........

Lee DeRaud
12-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Now we can all start typing normal speed again...we won't have to wait around for you to catch up. :rolleyes: :DUh, Vaughn? This is my "normal speed": I can't move my elbows as fast as I could when I was younger.:p

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
KC,

That's GREAT!!!!! You'll love DSL. I switched from cable to DSL and the speed has been at least 4 times faster than cable and I don't loose ISP service with DSL as I did on a nightly basis with cable. My DSL is also 1/2 the cost of what the cable was costing me. Am I happy that I switched? You Betcha.!!!!!:D

Eddie Watkins
12-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I am pea green with jealousy!:) I live inside OKC city limits and still can't get cable or DSL. About the best I can get through my dial-up is 28k. I hear there will be a major breakthrough in wireless technology implemented next year. Here's hoping.

Bart Leetch
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
That's GREAT!!!!! You'll love DSL we had it until cable came along. I switched from DSL to Cable and the speed has been at least 4 times faster than cable and I don't lose ISP service with Cable as I did on a regular basis with DSL. My Cable is also about the same cost of what the DSL was costing the company. Am I happy that I switched? You Betcha.!!!!! Even though my personal use of DSL or Cable is free I would still change. With DSL you could really tell the difference in speed during high traffic times, with cable the speed doesn't seem to change as much.

John Hart
12-22-2005, 12:11 PM
I am pea green with jealousy!:) I live inside OKC city limits and still can't get cable or DSL. About the best I can get through my dial-up is 28k. I hear there will be a major breakthrough in wireless technology implemented next year. Here's hoping.

Maybe you can't get this Eddie...But I know that SBC offers Wireless Broadband Internet Access for $17 a month in OKC

Matt Crew
12-23-2005, 9:13 PM
I switched from dial up to dsl and never regreted it. Even got the wireless set up for my lap top, it's great.
It only cost a couple of bucks more than dial up.
Trust me, you'll love it.

P.S. Now I can watch T.V. and be on the Creek at the same time. Gee ain't multitasking great!

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 1:04 PM
That's good news, KC. So much that we all do online these days is much better and more enjoyable with faster access, such as DSL or cable modem. The Internet has become a "content" oriented medium and as such, is demaning more and more bandwidth to accomodate that direction. Enjoy!

BTW, don't forget about security. I highly recommend you use both a software and a hardware firewall to protect your privacy and computer(s). There have been many threads on this subject here in the OT forum, but feel free to ask the boys and girls if you can't find it.