PDA

View Full Version : UPS for my ULS versalaser cannot handle it

Harry Radaza
12-22-2005, 1:17 AM
hi. I have a ULS versalaser VL300 50 watt machine. I live in the philippines with lots and lots of black outs and unstable power. the markings on the back says:

220V 50/60 Hz 5A

so by calculating it (correct me if I'm wrong) I would need a UPS that can handle 1100 VA (220v * 5A=1100VA). I have installed a 1400VA UPS. I need this so if there is a sudden black out we can stop the machine properly and power off instead of the machine just losing power (which I'm worried will damage the circuitry etc). Just recently we had a black out and machine went off. the 1400VA UPS obviously cannot handle it. would a 5000VA UPS be enough to keep machine going and power off the right way? how do I get the actual need for my machine?

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2005, 8:57 AM
You may need an electrical wizard for that question. I have a 350va200W
UPS and expect it to handle the computer but not the laser. The laser has at least two motors, in addition to the power supply and the tube, so it would suck up the battery really fast. Have you tried asking your machine
manufacturer about this?

Mike Mackenzie
12-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Harry,

I would probably recommend at least an 800 watt backup system. For that particular laser system.

Bruce Volden
12-22-2005, 1:35 PM
Harry,

I also researched this problem. I talked at length with the folks at APC and thouroughly described my fears. In essence they said not to worry about having a UPS~~they HIGHLY recommended a line filter though, which I did purchase. Seems the circuitry built into most electronics already allow for certain voltage fluctuations, this includes the circuitry in home / office computing systems. Line voltage sags and surges of certain lengths of time can, however, wreak havoc on electronics! I always use a UPS on my computer systems though, moreso for the added protection of not having to deal with a possible software corruption. I live in the country and am on rural electric power which in the past was quite lousy, it has gotten much better in the last few years though. Good luck.

Bruce

Bruce Larson
12-22-2005, 5:29 PM
We had a problem with widely varying voltages which we solved by the addition of a line conditioner. We used a product by TRIPP-Lite to smooth out the incoming power. It will not solve your problem of total blackouts, but will at least regulate the incoming voltage.
Don't know if this helps, but its been very good for us.