PDA

View Full Version : Small Stanley plane questions

Jim Dunn
12-21-2005, 9:54 PM
I've become the proud owner of a Stanley 9 1/2 plane. Now I know it's not really a 91/2 by measuring standards but I need to know about this plane.
It has a movable mouth using a small brass round slide. It happens to be froze in place at this time:mad: but hey it was free:eek::p It is 6" overall in length and has a thumb slot on each side. No other numbers are on the plane except for No. 9 1/2 on one side.
I'll post pics to this thread when I get batteries for my camera:o But that means a trip to Walmart and I don't do Walmart:mad: very well

Jim

Mike Wenzloff
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Try Patrick's Blood and Gore website for all things regarding Stanley handplanes:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm#num9.5

The link will take you right to your new plane.

Take care, Mike

Jim Dunn
12-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Mike thanks for that link. Such a wealth of information!!! Again thanks.
I think I'll put it on the shelf, hide this link from a "friend", and say "oh that's not for sale" heh heh.

Jim

Alan Turner
12-22-2005, 7:37 AM
Jim,
There was an article in FWW maybe a year or so ago ab out fettling a Stanley 60 1/2, and the 9 1/2 I believe is similar. There was also an associated video, but I don't know of its availability now that FWW charges for access to certain things.

Jeff Horton
12-22-2005, 7:28 PM
Clean it up, sharpen it and put it to use! I have one and I use it all the time. Probably my most used plane.

Mark Stutz
12-22-2005, 7:43 PM
Jim,
If it's frozen because of rust, electrolysis will do the job. Let me know and I can get you set up.

Mark

Jim Dunn
12-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Appreciate all the response I've gotten here on this little block plane. Thanks again.

Jim