PDA

View Full Version : Removing the smell of smoke from chest of drawers

Brian Deakin
02-08-2020, 8:19 AM
I inherited a walnut chest of drawer from my grandfather and my wife wants to dump them because the drawers smell of smoke

Can members provide advise/suggestions

Currently I am considering lightly sanding the inside of the carcass / drawers with 320 grit sandpaper us a detail and electric sander

George Bokros
02-08-2020, 8:24 AM
Maybe a coat of shellac.

Bill Carey
02-08-2020, 8:59 AM
You could line the drawers with cedar. Spanish cedar has a more subtle odor than red cedar. And, of course, it would be a perfect place to store your cigars. :D

Gary Ragatz
02-08-2020, 9:48 AM
A light sanding wouldn't hurt. You might also try dusting the surfaces with baking soda and letting them sit for a few days. Might take at least a couple of passes, as you'll need to do the undersides of the drawers, too. If that doesn't get you to where you want to be, George's suggestion of a coat of shellac makes sense to me.

I'd hate to give up the dressers, but I sympathize with your wife - if the dressers smell of smoke, any clothing you store in them will, too.

John Gornall
02-08-2020, 9:50 AM
Restoration companies eliminate smoke smells in houses after fires using ozone - perhaps this could be treated.

Dan Hahr
02-08-2020, 10:00 AM
Ozone will work for sure. You can buy a generator and do it yourself. I use one for my truck and hunting clothes.

Dan

Jim Becker
02-08-2020, 10:09 AM
You could easily seal in any odor in the drawers themselves with a coat of shellac, but doing the same for the entire interior of the dresser might be a major challenge. The Ozone treatment or other treatment suggested might be a better way because of all those areas that are just too hard to reach for sealing, honestly.

David Utterback
02-08-2020, 1:31 PM
Ozone is a strong oxidant. Be really careful using it, especially if someone with a chronic respiratory disease is possibly exposed. Commercial ozone generators are for use in buildings without occupants. Filtering respirators will not reduce exposure concentration.

Andrew Hughes
02-08-2020, 1:48 PM
Another trick I know of to remove odors. A pan with some unused coffee grounds. I've used it to remove odors from a work truck. I recommend folgers

Jim Becker
02-08-2020, 1:59 PM
Yes, the coffee grounds trick is very common with folks who, um...restore...flood vehicles... ;)

Carroll Courtney
02-08-2020, 3:05 PM
Open a box of baking soda and put it there for a while but I believe that the chest may have to be cover up so that the baking soda can absorb the odor.I was also told that wading up old newspaper will do the same as baking soda,just takes time.

Carroll Courtney
02-08-2020, 3:07 PM
Yes, the coffee grounds trick is very common with folks who, um...restore...flood vehicles... ;)
I like that ideal,I did not know that is what some people use that as a trick still good ideal

Paul Haus
02-08-2020, 3:17 PM
Until I retired, for about 30 years I did restoration and repair work for several shops in the area. One in particular brought a lot of fire work. Any piece I needed to get the smoke smell out of I'd tent in plastic, put weights around the perimeter of the plastic to seal it down with an small ozone generator in there with the piece of furniture. An old timer showed me that trick and it worked well for me. I tried baking soda, charcoal, shellac and others but none worked as well as ozone IMO.

Frederick Skelly
02-08-2020, 4:17 PM
Until I retired, for about 30 years I did restoration and repair work for several shops in the area. One in particular brought a lot of fire work. Any piece I needed to get the smoke smell out of I'd tent in plastic, put weights around the perimeter of the plastic to seal it down with an small ozone generator in there with the piece of furniture. An old timer showed me that trick and it worked well for me. I tried baking soda, charcoal, shellac and others but none worked as well as ozone IMO.

Sounds like the key is tenting it? How long do you let the ozone generator run?

Looks like the machines start at about $75 and go up from there. LINK (https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-MA5000-Commercial-Generator-Deodorizer/dp/B0795P2674/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2Q11VHO6G0BK7&keywords=ozone+generator&qid=1581196379&sprefix=Ozone%2Caps%2C829&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTVRWTTlHSUY2UENPJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTI0ODc5MTJDNjE0N0VaMVNVNCZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzI5NjI2MTNSSENLS0M0TFczTCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=)

John Gornall
02-08-2020, 5:46 PM
There was a fire at my Daughter's house - they filled the house with ozone - no body allowed in for a week.

No smell after