PDA

View Full Version : Chess Set

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-21-2005, 9:17 PM
OK folks, as I promised. Here is the chess set I just finished for my son. Last Christmas, he gave me a big bag with a log and a letter. Long story short, he didn't want to just give me a gift certificate. Instead, he gave me a challange. Make him a chess set that he will be able to pass down to his children and future generations.

After looking through everything I could find, which took a while, I decided on several things.

1. Meet my sons goals with something he will like.

2. Since chess pieces represent people. Each piece should have it's own character, while abiding by a general theme.

3. After the wood is cut into 2" x 2" blocks of appropriate length, all work will be done on the lathe. No carving, no sawing, and only finish sanding.

Whether or not I achieved #1 remains to be seen Sunday. I know that I achieved #2. Each piece has a slight difference. Some a little taller. Some a little smaller. Some a little in need of a diet and others slender.

I stuck to #3. Therefore, the bishops have no saw cut to tell them apart. They have a pointed hat. The Rooks do not have shooting slots in the parapet. The King and Queens crowns are smooth instead of serrated. And, instead of a cross, the King has a conical portion at the center of his crown.

The Knight was the toughest. It took turning from four different center points to get the shape I wanted.

The finish is: Sanded to 4000. Wiped with oil to bring out the grain, then friction finished with six coats of French Polish.

The total production time.................. Right at 100 Hrs. Others and I could have probably done it faster, but "THIS IS A LABOR OF LOVE!"

Thanks for reading and looking. Happy Holidays to all.

Bruce;)

PS: can't get pictures to transfer here...........Posted this as a reply in True Story - lost pictures when I deleted the post. As soon as I get this figured out, I'll post them here.

Corey Hallagan
12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I saw the pics in the first post Bruce, by the way, nice job on the gift and the Chess pieces are very cool. I am sure your son will be very happy!
Corey

John Miliunas
12-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Bruce, ditto to what Corey said! Great gift and I'm sure it will be cherished for generations to come. :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
12-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Nice work on the gift Bruce. I'm sure he will love it.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
12-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Bruce, your son is just going to love that set.

Really nice job.

Bill..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

rick fulton
12-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Bruce -
Hope you don't mind I did a little Photoshop cleanup.
Auto Level and Auto Contrast only.
rick

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the comments, folks. You're very kind.

Guess I need to splain sumpum. The woods used are Hard Maple and Walnut.

The background is Gold Crushed Velvet that I use for bags that I give customers with some of my items.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Bruce they look fantastic. Your son is going to love them.

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Andy Six to Bruce Two - Nice work. Life is in the details.

Dick Parr
12-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Nice looking set Bruce, he will love them....:)

John Hart
12-22-2005, 4:01 AM
Hopefully, this fine job you did will get me re-motivated on the chess set that I started a month ago Bruce! Well done! I especially like the fact that you turned the knights entirely. Don't really understand how you did it....But I sure like it!

A gift for generations...How cool is that?!!;)

Keith Burns
12-22-2005, 7:57 AM
Bruce, great turning job and, well, a very special story. I'm sure your son will be pleased.:) :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
John,

The knights are done in four turning steps, though it seems like 200!

Here's what you do.

1. Cut the blanks square and to length. Leave enough extra so that you can have a tennon on each end. These are used to stabilize the blank in different parts of the turning.

2. Mark the ends from corner to corner to find dead center.

3. Next Place marker lines across the ends that disect the sides in half and go through the center point.

4. Depending on how large in diameter your pieces are, you mark three equa-distant points along three of the lines, disecting the sides,from centerpoint out. I used 1/2".

5. Now for turning. Place the piece between centers on the center dot. Round the blank. Leave a 1/2-3/4" tennon, large enough to be caught by your chuck. Take the rest down to the largest diameter of the piece.

6. You have three dots around the center one. The next position is the middle dot of the three. This position is used to cut the relief of the muzzle. (please note - when using these three extra points, the piece is offset. Place your tool rest with this in mind. you only want to cut into one half of the blank.) Take a skew and scribe a line midway (Left to Right) in the part that will be the horse head. Now comes the tricky part. You undercut the lip on one side of the line and taper the cut on the other side so that you form a "V" that is undercut towards the top of the head. Take small cuts.

7. Move the piece to either one of the other two points and form a cove on the piece that just goes half way through and leaves about 1/8-1/4 at both the top and bottom ends of what is the head.

8. Move the piece to the last dot and do the same thing trying to balance this cove with the other one.

9. Install your chuck and mount the piece between it and the tailstock. Start parting the top of the head off and do initial sanding of all the parts that you can. Finish shaping the head and remove the tailstock.

10 Sand the piece, and if you wish, friction finish the piece, part it off the tennon and you're done.

If you want, I will do another one and take pictures along the way, so you can see what I'm describing. Thay say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Bruce

Gary DeWitt
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I want, and I'm sure several others want to see exactly what you did with this. Carving a knight is about the only think keeping me from wanting to do a chess set. Pictures, close up please, if you are going to be making another one. Otherwise, a quick sketch of the points you turned from for which parts.
Thanks!

John Hart
12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I might take you up on the Pics Bruce. I just read this 4 times. I think I got it though and I'll give it a try. Don't put any more effort into your project on my account. You've done so much already. Thanks!!!!:) :)

Jim Ketron
12-22-2005, 4:48 PM
Nice Job Bruce!
Looks Great!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-22-2005, 5:07 PM
After doing four, it won't be too bad, doing another one. I don't have to Sand this one!

Bruce

John Hart
12-22-2005, 5:26 PM
After doing four, it won't be too bad, doing another one. I don't have to Sand this one!

Bruce

That's True!! Hey Bruce...I'll take all the instruction I can get!;)