PDA

View Full Version : Pile of Junk Saves the Day

Jim Koepke
02-07-2020, 8:30 PM
While looking through my spare parts for a couple of screws today one of the things found was an old Type 5 - 8 plane sole that had been set aside for a chip in the wall at the front of the casting.

You may remember this post > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132457 < where the tote screw came undone after 9 years of being held together by JB Weld.

So a little shop time to fit it all together, give the blade a hone and make some test shavings and the shop is back to having two type 6 #4s in service.

jtk

Andrew Nemeth
02-08-2020, 7:52 AM
If I remember right, in your previous thread you were contemplating several ways to fix the threads. How did you make the fix this go around? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim Koepke
02-08-2020, 10:22 AM
If I remember right, in your previous thread you were contemplating several ways to fix the threads. How did you make the fix this go around? Inquiring minds want to know!

No fix on the old plane bottom, this fix was done by replacing the plane bottom with one that has a chunk broken off in the front.

My camera wasn't in the shop yesterday. Maybe a picture can be taken today to show the old bottom next to the replacement.

jtk

Andrew Nemeth
02-08-2020, 11:30 AM
No fix on the old plane bottom, this fix was done by replacing the plane bottom with one that has a chunk broken off in the front.

My camera wasn't in the shop yesterday. Maybe a picture can be taken today to show the old bottom next to the replacement.

jtk

Ah, I misread your initial post. I should know better than to post anything before coffee.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2020, 4:23 PM
Here is the plane with the replaced bottom:

It ain't pretty, but it works fine.

jtk