PDA

View Full Version : Unplanned Computer Upgrade

Ken Garlock
12-21-2005, 8:05 PM
After about 7 years my Viewsonic 20" monitor blew its high voltage power supply. I had been crackling on occasion accompanied by a flicker of the screen. So, last week it finally turned casters up, deader than a hammer.:(

I then trundle over to my wife's computer and brought up my not-used-since-last-year logon. I went to my favorite parts store website thinking that I can order a new monitor and pick it up the same day. After reading the various makes, I narrowed it down to either a Sony or a Samsung. Then after talking to the sales people, I ordered a Samsung 244T 21" LCD monitor. As it turns out, the monitor was in California and had to be shipped. But, it arrived at my door on Monday.:)

I have been playing with it and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.:D I initially hooked it up to the analog interface on my ATI V3100 video card. Things looked OK, but a little fuzzy around the edges upon close inspection.

This afternoon I found the DVI cable and changed from an analog to digital interface. Man, that made a difference:cool: The text characters are sharp as nails, small ones at that.:rolleyes:

Samsung includes several software packages to tune the monitor and video card. The software does everything that you can do from the front of the monitor. Things like adjust the contrast, brightness, color balance, and in addition set the resolution. On a CRT, the changing of the screen size by changing the pixel counts, like 1024x768 etc, changed the actual size of the picture on the screen. On the LCD monitor, the picture sent from the video card covers the screen. Changing resolution just changes the size of the characters, windows, and icons. After all the fussing, I went back to the old standard, 1024/768.

Anybody want a 40+# monitor with a shot powersupply? I'll even throw in a 17" with the same ailment:eek:

Art Mulder
12-21-2005, 9:14 PM
Ken, the monitor sounds great.... but you're driving a 21-inch LCD at 1024x768!!??

I suppose if you're happy, thats great, but man what a waste. You can get that on a 15" LCD/17"Tube. We drive our Sony e540 (20" trinitron tube) at 1280x1024 and the increased screen real estate is very very useful.

Ken Garlock
12-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Art. The max on the monitor is 1600x1200. I tried cranking it up, but the print with the on-screen icons got so small that they were not easy for me to read, even with my tri-focals:o There maybe a way to compensate, but I don't know what it is.

Art, I just set the resolution to 1280x1024 and it looks like a reasonable compromise. I'll give it a try for a while....

John Miliunas
12-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Ken, if you're an XP user, you're probably already aware of this but, just in case you're not, have you ever tried Microsoft's ClearType???? Especially on LCD panels, it rocks!!! http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

Check it out if you haven't already! Oh, and congrats on the monster monitor!!!:D :cool:

Loy Hawes
12-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Ken, you can increase the size of your icons. Right click on your desktop,select properties,Go to appearance tab, on the bottom right select Effects, Now just select Use Large Icons. You can also turn on clear type from there.

Frank Chaffee
12-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the tip John, I'll be checking that out.

Frank

John Hart
12-22-2005, 5:16 AM
Congratulations on your power supply failure Ken! Now throw a DVD in that thing and watch a movie! I did that and now my TV looks fuzzy. :rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
12-22-2005, 11:56 AM
John M.: thanks for the clear type info. I didn't have it, but I do now. I also installed the accompanying power tool package.

Loy, I didn't know about the effects option to tune the icon sizes, Thanks.

John H.: Good Idea on the movie, but I am afraid that it will make me want to trash my 50" Sony XBR.:rolleyes:

Chuck Wintle
12-22-2005, 5:04 PM
John M.: thanks for the clear type info. I didn't have it, but I do now. I also installed the accompanying power tool package.

Loy, I didn't know about the effects option to tune the icon sizes, Thanks.

John H.: Good Idea on the movie, but I am afraid that it will make me want to trash my 50" Sony XBR.:rolleyes:
Ken,
I was wondering what the dead pixel policy of Samsung is. I know that before an excahnge on warranty is possible a certain number of pixels must be dead.

Ken Garlock
12-22-2005, 5:38 PM
Ken,
I was wondering what the dead pixel policy of Samsung is. I know that before an excahnge on warranty is possible a certain number of pixels must be dead.

Charles, it is something I never even thought about. In the same area, I have heard it stated that the TI DLP chip can loose up to 20% of its mirrors/pixels before it becomes noticeably degraded.

The monitor carries a 3 year warranty.