PDA

View Full Version : HF Motor for Table Saw?

orren countin
02-05-2020, 4:33 PM
HF has a 3 HP motor at correct RPM for my Table Saw ($160). The saw now has a original Powermatic 1HP motor (220 1ph). Any issues to consider if replacing it with a HF 3 HP motor?

George Makra
02-05-2020, 4:54 PM
If the frame sizes are the same then you should have no problem bolting it up. And having at work.

Peter Kelly
02-05-2020, 4:58 PM
I’d also verify that the rotation direction is the same as your current one and if not, can it be reversed. Some of the cheaper induction motors out there cannot be re-wired to change this.

David Kumm
02-05-2020, 5:18 PM
Check the wiring and starter to make sure they can handle the increased amperage. Even if just a switch with no overloads, it may need to be beefed up. Dave

orren countin
02-05-2020, 5:41 PM
thanks. Good tips. The motor is reversible. The Powermatic paddle switch is rated for 3HP at 230V so probably ok there. Thanks again.

Frank Pratt
02-05-2020, 6:30 PM
Does the HF motor actually have a nameplate that says it's 3 HP? The reason I mention this is that in another thread it was stated that the HF dust collector is listed in the catalogue as 2 HP, but the motor has no label & is in fact only 1.5 HP.

orren countin
02-05-2020, 6:45 PM
Does the HF motor actually have a nameplate that says it's 3 HP? The reason I mention this is that in another thread it was stated that the HF dust collector is listed in the catalogue as 2 HP, but the motor has no label & is in fact only 1.5 HP.

They state it does. See here:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-compressor-duty-motor-68302.html

David Kumm
02-05-2020, 7:42 PM
I'm assuming the ODP motor is easy to access so you can blow it off? I'd also look at CL for a local same frame TEFC motor. They often show up cheap. Dave

Peter Kelly
02-05-2020, 7:58 PM
You'll find those air compressor motors are pretty light duty compared to a standard ODP or TEFC hence the lower price. $174 is probably on the high side too, Surplus Center has a (CCW) 3hp WEG air compressor motor for $159.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Motors/AC-Motors-Base-Mount/3-HP-230-Volt-AC-3420-RPM-WEG-Air-Compressor-Motor-10-2620.axd

orren countin
02-05-2020, 8:13 PM
You'll find those air compressor motors are pretty light duty compared to a standard ODP or TEFC hence the lower price. $174 is probably on the high side too, Surplus Center has a (CCW) 3hp WEG air compressor motor for $159.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Motors/AC-Motors-Base-Mount/3-HP-230-Volt-AC-3420-RPM-WEG-Air-Compressor-Motor-10-2620.axd

OK. what a good 3hp table saw motor to get?

Bruce Wrenn
02-05-2020, 8:34 PM
OK. what a good 3hp table saw motor to get?

Why do you want to change out the motor? Is it bogging down on rip cuts, or problems running a dado head? Or is it the "bigger is better" syndrome?" If it's the latter, read the thread on "Do we ever say no" in off topic forum.

orren countin
02-05-2020, 8:51 PM
Why do you want to change out the motor? Is it bogging down on rip cuts, or problems running a dado head? Or is it the "bigger is better" syndrome?" If it's the latter, read the thread on "Do we ever say no" in off topic forum.

Its the latter. Engineer in me does a cost benefit analysis of replacing bearing on a 1hp Powermatic vs a new 3 HP motor and a little risk reduction in case the motor doesnt work after Im done. Id have to say this powermatic 1hp motor has never had a power issue even at 1hp

Earl McLain
02-05-2020, 9:08 PM
I'm wondering if the One Horse in there might be a Draft Horse, and the 3 Horses you're looking at might be a different breed (miniature horses??). Some might take 1 good Belgian pulling a plow better and longer than three saddle horses being able to do the same work. (in other words...are the measurements of work the same on the labels of both motors??)
earl

David Kumm
02-05-2020, 9:17 PM
If you are not bogging down, save your money. Someday you may want a better saw or another tool. Dave

Peter Kelly
02-05-2020, 10:47 PM
OK. what a good 3hp table saw motor to get?If you've got one of the older "Artisan" contractor-type saws from Powermatic, I wouldn't exceed 1.5-1.75 hp. Mounting a larger sized motor could become more problematic than it's worth. WEG makes some very decent ODP 56 frame motors: https://www.factorymation.com/00156OT1BRBO56-S

I'd echo David and Bruce's comments otherwise. Replace the bad bearing, save your money and trade the saw for something else if it isn't working for you.

Peter Kelly
02-05-2020, 10:48 PM
OK. what a good 3hp table saw motor to get?If you've got one of the older "Artisan" contractor-type saws from Powermatic, I wouldn't exceed 1.5-1.75 hp. Mounting a larger sized motor could become more problematic than it's worth. WEG also makes some very decent ODP 56 frame motors: https://www.factorymation.com/00156OT1BRBO56-S

I'd echo David and Bruce's comments otherwise. Replace the bad bearing, save your money and trade the saw for something else if it isn't working for you.

Jacob Reverb
02-06-2020, 2:54 PM
Can you pull 3 hp through one "A" belt using the small drive sheave that's on the motor? Might be gilding the lily...

Also, I don't know about your saw, but my PM saw uses the motor weight to tension the belt. I suspect a 3 hp motor will be a bit heavier.

Ken Combs
02-06-2020, 4:50 PM

That particular motor is CCW rotation, (as are most air compressor motors), which would be wrong for most table saws.

OTOH, compressor motors are typically designed for a higher duty cycl

edit to add: on closer examination, it's also not a 3hp 'for real'. Note the rating, 3hp SPL, and amperage. SPL always means overrated and the amperage confirms that.

Andy D Jones
02-06-2020, 5:59 PM
If the saw is a contractor saw with the motor hanging out the back, you might get away with an ODP (open drip proof) motor. At least the motor is where you can inspect it easily to see if it is getting excessive sawdust inside.

If the saw is a cabinet or hybrid saw with the motor inside the saw, under the blade, then you definitely want a TEFC (totally enclosed, fan cooled) motor, since the greater amount of sawdust there will get inside an ODP motor and eventually cause it to stop running (overheating, fouling the internal run/start switch, bearings, etc.).

A compressor duty motor is designed to start under load, and run at a fairly constant, controlled max load. Saws don't start under load (other than just spinning up the blade), but can face temporary peak loads above rated HP without overheating (service factor).

Andy - Arlington TX

David L Morse
02-06-2020, 6:15 PM
edit to add: on closer examination, it's also not a 3hp 'for real'. Note the rating, 3hp SPL, and amperage. SPL always means overrated and the amperage confirms that.

Yes, 12.26A seems low for 3HP, but where did you see "3hp SPL"? Here's the nameplate:

Ken Combs
02-06-2020, 7:28 PM
Yes, 12.26A seems low for 3HP, but where did you see "3hp SPL"? Here's the nameplate:

PECIFICATIONS

Power 3 HP, SPL
Voltage 208 - 230 VAC
Amperage 13.00/12.70 Amps
Speed 3480 RPM
Phase 1
Rotation CCW
Service Factor 1.2
Bearings Ball
Enclosure ODP
Duty Continuous
Frame 56H
Base Mount Six 1-7/32" x 5/16" slots on 4-15/16" x 3" to 5" centers
Shaft 5/8" dia. x 1-7/8" w/ 3/16" keyway
Size 10" x 8-1/4" x 6-1/2"
Shpg. 38 lbs.

From description.

Bruce Wrenn
02-06-2020, 9:15 PM
Its the latter. Engineer in me does a cost benefit analysis of replacing bearing on a 1hp Powermatic vs a new 3 HP motor and a little risk reduction in case the motor doesnt work after Im done. Id have to say this powermatic 1hp motor has never had a power issue even at 1hp

Existing motor has two 6203-2RS bearings in it, that cost between $6 and $12 depending upon how much you want to pay. Once bearing are in hand, takes less than two hours to do change out. Either way you will have to remove and remount a motor, so that time is almost the same. New motor may require some rewiring, where old motor is "plug and play." Look at you tubes of changing out bearings in an electric motor. E replacemnts may also have instructional videos

David L Morse
02-07-2020, 5:28 AM
PECIFICATIONS

Power 3 HP, SPL
Voltage 208 - 230 VAC
Amperage 13.00/12.70 Amps
Speed 3480 RPM
Phase 1
Rotation CCW
Service Factor 1.2
Bearings Ball
Enclosure ODP
Duty Continuous
Frame 56H
Base Mount Six 1-7/32" x 5/16" slots on 4-15/16" x 3" to 5" centers
Shaft 5/8" dia. x 1-7/8" w/ 3/16" keyway
Size 10" x 8-1/4" x 6-1/2"
Shpg. 38 lbs.

From description.

Bizarre. Not trying to argue here, after all it is Harbor Freight, but I can't find that description. When I look at the product page I see this:

And the manual shows this:

Where did you find that description? The "Special" designation would explain the low current but it's certainly well hidden. Then again, I seem to have trouble finding lots of other things these days.

Curt Harms
02-07-2020, 9:01 AM
If you've got one of the older "Artisan" contractor-type saws from Powermatic, I wouldn't exceed 1.5-1.75 hp. Mounting a larger sized motor could become more problematic than it's worth. WEG also makes some very decent ODP 56 frame motors: https://www.factorymation.com/00156OT1BRBO56-S

How does the weight of the proposed motor compare to the existing motor? If it's heavier, the existing mounting mechanism may not be up to the greater load. Tilting the mechanism could add to the stress. And if a more powerful motor isn't heavier something's missing.

Peter Kelly
02-07-2020, 11:20 AM
I was thinking that the centerline of the shaft on a larger motor being in a different position might cause the belt to do some weird things with tensioning when raising and lowering the blade but those are good points too.

Per above, I wasn't advocating that the OP change the existing motor at all. That air compressor motor I'd originally linked to was just an example of typical pricing. The HF isn't all that much of a bargain as these types of motors go.