PDA

View Full Version : Granddaughter Gloat & Cradle Pic’s

Bruce Page
07-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Granddaughter # 3, Morgan Shannon, 9lb 1oz. arrived healthy & happy! Mother & baby are home and doing very well.
I have been working on the cradle for some time but have really been burning the midnight oil for the last couple of weeks. The look on my daughters face when I delivered it made it all worthwhile! The cradle is made from birds-eye maple & cherry. The cherry is finished with a light coat of Seal-Coat & de-natured alcohol, two coats of Bartley’s Pennsylvania Cherry and 3 coats of Bartley’s wipe-on varnish. The maple has 3 coats of varnish – AFTER sanding off three coats or poly! It is also the first time that I have worked from someone else’s plans. I learned a few things building this cradle but the biggest thing I learned is I’ll NEVER look at a can of Poly again – I hate the stuff!!

Thanks for looking

Keith, the multipul picture feature is great! Thank you!

Tom Sweeney
07-08-2003, 11:39 PM
in the dictionary & I found a picture of your Granddaughter's cradle Bruce.
That is a real treasure - & the cradle aint half bad either ;)

congrats on both counts.

Ken Salisbury
07-09-2003, 5:06 AM
Bruce

Absolutely Beautiful
(The baby that is)<p>
The cradle isn't too shabby either :D :D :D
<p>Seriously - A nice job. I like the contrasting woods. Really sets the piece off.

Keith Outten
07-09-2003, 7:40 AM
Bruce,

Congratulations on the new addition to your familly, I know you are proud of your new granddaughter.

Yours has to be the most beautiful cradle I have ever seen and will be a familly heirloom that will be treasured for generations to come. This is the ultimate goal of every woodworker, to produce a project that will always be treasured by they're familly and friends.

Don Farr
07-09-2003, 7:57 AM
Beautiful baby and cradle. Now you can look foward to the day when she first calls you "grandpa" and your heart will melt.

Chris DiCiaccio
07-09-2003, 8:19 AM
What a great looking Cradle. Fantastic work. That child is blessed.

Noah Alkinburgh
07-09-2003, 8:29 AM
That is a fantastic cradle!!! and many many congrats on the baby grandaughter. You have created and heirloom and a legacy, thanks for sharing with us.

Bob Lasley
07-09-2003, 8:54 AM
Morgan is a beautiful baby. Thank goodness she doesn't look like her grandpa! :D Glad to hear mother and daughter doing well. Bruce, your cradle is gorgeous. The maple and cherry really compliment each other and the brass knobs give it alot of class. Gotta love that Bartleys. I used the same stain and varnish on the crib I built and will definately use it again.

Happy grandpa's day (which is everyday)
Bob

Rusty Hughes, Indy
07-09-2003, 9:45 AM
Wow, there's only one thing that could make me stop looking at that cradle and you used her in the first pic. The baby looks at home in your cradle.

Nice work.

Jackie Outten
07-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Bruce,

Congratulations on your beautiful granddaughter. She is the perfect model for your cradle. It is the most beautiful cradle I have ever seen. I am sure it will be a piece of furniture that will be cherished by your daughter's family for years to come.

Jackie

Jason Roehl
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
That looks like an excellent candidate for submission to FWW or the like. Absolutely gorgeous. (And like the others said, the cradle looks real good, too! :D )

Randy Gleckler
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Having just found out that My wife and I will be expecting in Feb (I know, that's a stealth gloat). That really means more to me know in the craftsman ship and the purpose of it. That is a beautiful cradle. I'm just amazed.... Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Bruce Page
07-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments!

Charles McKinley
07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
A very special gift for a special little girl. My latest addition came in December. I'm glad to hear every one is happy and healthy.

Keith Outten
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Bruce,

I hate to ask but it sure would be nice if you could write an article about the cradle, we would love to host it and I'm sure everyone would be interested in the details. More pictures would be great!

How about it?

John Miliunas
07-09-2003, 1:07 PM
Utterly gorgeous on both counts, your new grandchild and the cradle! Also, I concur with Keith: More details, pics, tips, hints, etc... PLEASE share! Thanks for the inspirational post! :cool:

Greg Daves
07-09-2003, 1:41 PM
Bruce,

That is the most beautiful cradle I have seen, and I can understand the pride you have in presenting it to such a beautiful granddaughter.

You mentioned in your original post that it was the first time you had worked off of someone else's plans. Would you mind if I asked which plans you were working off of. My wife is expecting our second and I have been searching for plans of just such a cradle, and am really taken with the one you have created. I'm not sure my thumbs will do the plans the same justice that your craftmanship will, but I would greatly appreciate knowing where you got the plans for the cradle and any other tid bits or hints you learned from creating it.

Thanks and many congratulations on both counts.

Thanks,
GD

Doug Littlejohn
07-09-2003, 3:11 PM
Bruce,

Absoultely beautifull !!!. The cradle's not so bad either. :D

Seriously, you are blessed and the grandaughter is as well. The cradle is stunning, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get the plans?? I like the overall style of it as a starting point for my next cradle.

Thanks for sharing both !

Lee Schierer
07-09-2003, 3:16 PM
Congratulations on both the new granddaughter and the fine ob on the cradle. The use of cherry and maple together always looks so nice. Looks like excellent craftsmanship as well.

Please don't show this to my son and his wife.......

Bruce Page
07-09-2003, 3:42 PM
Greg & Doug,
I got the plans & templates (sold separately) from Woodsmith. Their web site only lists kits, I had to call them to order the plans & templates which were ~ $30 for both.
The plans were pretty well done. I didn’t care for their method of cutting the curved raised panel on the table saw (scary to me), so I did them on the router table with a low angle panel bit from Jesada. The angle isn’t exactly what they call for in the plans but they are close enough.

Ron McNeil
07-09-2003, 4:23 PM
Bruce,

Your granddaughter is beauitful and the cradle is gorgeous. Congrats on the addition to the family and the wonderful job on the cradle.

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-09-2003, 5:04 PM
Bruce
It is a wonderful cradle, just beautiful.
The little one is also so precious and gorgeous.
What a wonderful present.
Best wishes and Congratulations
Daniel :D

Greg Daves
07-09-2003, 5:38 PM
Greg & Doug,
I got the plans & templates (sold separately) from Woodsmith. Their web site only lists kits, I had to call them to order the plans & templates which were ~ $30 for both.
The plans were pretty well done. I didn’t care for their method of cutting the curved raised panel on the table saw (scary to me), so I did them on the router table with a low angle panel bit from Jesada. The angle isn’t exactly what they call for in the plans but they are close enough.

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing the info and the pictures. I hope mine at least looks like a cradle when I'm done.

Joe Tonich
07-09-2003, 5:46 PM
Bruce,

Congrats on the grandchild. I'm sure that beautiful cradle will be used for generations to come!

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-09-2003, 6:56 PM
Bruce, CONGRATULATIONS on your new Grandbaby..........she is an absolute Doll! The Cradle is just beyond words..................excellent, beautiful, outstanding and the like just don't do it justice. That is hands down the best looking Cradle I have ever laid eyes on. It will probably be a while before I am in the Grandbaby Business, but I think I will build one of those just because it looks like a great project. Way to go Bruce! :D

Von Bickley
07-09-2003, 9:30 PM
Bruce,

Great looking cradle and a beautiful baby to go in it. You have two things to be very proud of. Thanks for sharing the pictures.