PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Glue

Russ Filtz
12-21-2005, 3:57 PM
For laminating something like Wilsonart to plywood, is the neoprene contact cement best, or should I go with a plastic resin or resorcinol glue Like Unibond 800?

This is for industrial indoor use, but may get exposed to rain through open windows a lot.

tod evans
12-21-2005, 3:59 PM
russ, i like formicas red gun grade glue. it`s pretty potent....02 tod

John Branam
12-21-2005, 4:16 PM
I have used contact cement and it worked well.

Roger Everett
12-21-2005, 7:35 PM
Russ:
Contact cement has always be to standard glue for mica.laminate. I laid a few thousand sq. ft. of it, and always used the solvent based type, I tried the water based type and didn't like it. However if you want a bullet proof bond, and the pcs. are small enough, put a coat of carpenters PVA glue on both substrate and mica ( I use a paint roller ), and press it on with a cover sheet, cauls and clamps, I guarantee you won't be able to chisel it apart.
Roger

Russ Filtz
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I thought both contact cements and PVA glues are pretty "rubbery" which can creep over time and cause delaminations?

Are the other glues I mentioned only used when laminating wood strips and not laminate?

tod evans
12-22-2005, 10:40 AM
russ, most companies that manufacture post formed tops use the gun grade contact cement and have been doing so for years. i don`t think you`ll have a problem unless some solvent that would break the bond actually got to the bond, or if the top would be exposed to heat that would break the bond....02 tod