PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 63 Table Saw Arbor Bearing?

orren countin
02-01-2020, 8:13 PM
The manual shows a Powermatic 63 part number for the arbor bearings as 6285321.
Would anyone know what a replacement would be? as this part number is no longer offered.
Thank you

Mike Kees
02-01-2020, 8:17 PM
Orren when you pull it apart the bearings will have the sizes stamped on them. You can buy bearings at any bearing supply place.

orren countin
02-01-2020, 8:29 PM
thank you. I was hoping that was the case. I was hoping someone might have already done that so I could use the saw until I got the right part.
Thanks again!

Alex Zeller
02-01-2020, 11:14 PM
If it doesn't have a part number on it a bearing shop will be able to identify it.

Bill Dufour
02-02-2020, 12:04 AM
I recommend a rubber sealed bearing regardless of what was factory original. Be careful during install and removal not to stress the casting. Support the bearing housing directly not the arm holding the housing or you will break off the housing from the main casting. A big socket or piece of pipe or pipe coupling can come in handy here. I suggest brushing out dust and soaking in favorite rusted bolt spray for several days while you wait for supplies.
I found info claiming older models use a wider bearing and newer models use two identical 6203Z. I would suggest search ebay for 3203rs. I like VXB as a source since they are USA based. Looks like about $6.00 each.
Bil lD

I like the NTN website to search bearings from dimensions without numbers and just to confirm numbers. Note that pretty much all ballbearings are metric and have been since they were invented. So use a HF digital caliper to measure them.

https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/category/deep-groove-ball-bearings

https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/item/all-categories/single-row-radial-ball-bearings/6203zn (https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/category/deep-groove-ball-bearings)

Tom M King
02-02-2020, 9:19 AM
Take the arbor out, and find someone with a press. It's not worth the risks (yes, plural) to do less. You should be able to find a socket to fit against the outside part of the bearings without putting any pressure on the moving parts. I pull such bearings with a slide hammer, but being careful not to use more force than will move the bearing a little bit at the time.

Sometimes you have to get creative in finding something that will do the job in a press. I found this old press in the woods, which is why it looks so rough, but is a simple tool. I already had the jack. I needed to compress this stack of ring springs, so I could take the snap ring off. John Deere calls for a "special tool". This in the process of rebuilding the forward clutch pack in one of the tractors.

A press is a very gentle method of installing bearings.

Bruce Wrenn
02-02-2020, 10:20 PM
6203 2 RS will set you back a little less than three bucks each at Fastenal. Used to be $1.99 till Trump started trade war with China. FYI, both the Unisaw and Delta contractor's saw use 6203 bearings on arbor. Probably the same on your PM.

David Kumm
02-02-2020, 11:01 PM
A decent quality bearing would be a Natchi Quest or SKF Explorer. You want standard clearance. No point going to the effort and buying a no name $3 bearing, even in a tiny light load size. Dave

Jacob Reverb
02-02-2020, 11:21 PM
View the drawings and part numbers in your PM owner's manual with suspicion. When I had to replace the arbor bearings in my PM 64A, I found that the drawing was wrong (or didn't reflect how my machine was assembled when I bought it new) and the bearing number was wrong.

orren countin
02-05-2020, 4:17 PM
Great help. Thank you.
I recommend a rubber sealed bearing regardless of what was factory original. Be careful during install and removal not to stress the casting. Support the bearing housing directly not the arm holding the housing or you will break off the housing from the main casting. A big socket or piece of pipe or pipe coupling can come in handy here. I suggest brushing out dust and soaking in favorite rusted bolt spray for several days while you wait for supplies.
I found info claiming older models use a wider bearing and newer models use two identical 6203Z. I would suggest search ebay for 3203rs. I like VXB as a source since they are USA based. Looks like about $6.00 each.
Bil lD

I like the NTN website to search bearings from dimensions without numbers and just to confirm numbers. Note that pretty much all ballbearings are metric and have been since they were invented. So use a HF digital caliper to measure them.

https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/category/deep-groove-ball-bearings

(https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/category/deep-groove-ball-bearings)https://bearingfinder.ntnamericas.com/item/all-categories/single-row-radial-ball-bearings/6203zn

orren countin
02-05-2020, 4:30 PM
AFter removing the Powermatic 63 bearings the part number stamped was 6203Z. THere was a rubber seal on one side. ONe bearing was had a grinding feel when turned by hand and the other was almost seized. I replaced them with 6203ZZ NSK bearings (metal seal both sides) from Amazon. They were easy to remove and using by bench vise also easy to press back on using some wood spacer i drilled a hole through for the arbor (watched a Utube video for instructions). It helped a lot that I froze the arbor to compress and heated the bearings to 180F to expand. Another benefit was while I had the saw apart I could lubricate the gears and check everything was tight.

On the motor (Powermatic RM-322) the identical bearing part number 6203Z was used. There were very easy to remove using a Harbor Freight puller. Interesting even with the same part number on the motor the bearing they were open on one side and full of debri as you would expect and again one I could not turn by hand and the other felt gritty when turning.

After replacement and running the saw I didnt realize how loud the saw had become with the bad bearings and Im a very happy camper now.

I appreciate the help and I wont be so intimidated next time I want to need to change bearings.

Bruce Wrenn
02-05-2020, 8:28 PM
On the next replacement, get 6203 2RS, instead of the shielded ones (6203ZZ.) I installed a 6203 2RS in daughters car over 300K miles ago, and it's still going strong. It is a $1.99 bearing from Fastenal

orren countin
02-05-2020, 8:37 PM
On the next replacement, get 6203 2RS, instead of the shielded ones (6203ZZ.) I installed a 6203 2RS in daughters car over 300K miles ago, and it's still going strong. It is a $1.99 bearing from Fastenal

thats 2 rubber seals right? The original bearings had one side rubber seal and the lub was leaking out that side.

Bill Dufour
02-05-2020, 10:08 PM
A zz bearing is a metal shield it does not hold in the grease or keep out the dust. A rs is sealed and even when the rubber wears out it does the same job as a zz shield. the only reason for a zz is for high rpm(10,000+) or physical damage to the seals during running.
Bill D
PS I have been known to use a piece of PVC pipe with a longitudional slit and a hose clamp to make it the correct diameter.

Bruce Wrenn
02-06-2020, 2:41 PM
PS I have been known to use a piece of PVC pipe with a longitudional slit and a hose clamp to make it the correct diameter.We have a farm store local (about 25 miles away) that sells individual sockets, both imperial and metric, for $5-6 bucks each. Almost always, I can find a socket that's just the right size to press bearing in with. When I get one, I use a Sharpie and mark what size bearing it fits, and then store it in ZipLoc bag with spare bearings.

Bill Dufour
02-06-2020, 3:02 PM
I will take the old bearing and grind the outer race down a few thousandths to use to press in the new one. a chainsaw sharpening stone can be used to open up the inner bore as well.
Bil lD