PDA

View Full Version : drill press arbor reseating

Bruce Mack
02-01-2020, 6:16 PM
While I was using my 2 1/8" Forstner bit to drill into the end of a cylinder of Patagonian rosewood the well-anchored workpiece and the press table began to shake. Of course I stopped but as I had reached the shallow depth required I completed my project without trying to determine the cause. Today using a 5 1/2" jobber drill blank and a dial indicator I measured 10/1000 wobble at the tip. I removed the chuck and its attached tapered spindle adapter and reseated it with a rubber mallet many times with never better than an unacceptable 6/1000 wobble. I considered the possibility of chuck damage and even a warped drill blank ("it is a poor workman who blames his tools"). The drill blank rolled nicely and had no visible warpage to a straight edge.
I modified my reseating technique, adding many small taps to the 2-3 initial thwaps with the mallet, hoping to persuade the mating parts to align. With that final attempt I achieved between 1 and 2/1000 total runout at the end of the unchucked 4" segment of rod. Good enough. I don't know whether I was lucky or smart.
Question - how do others approach fitting a Morse taper to the spindle?

johnny means
02-01-2020, 6:58 PM
I make sure it's all clean and bang it on in. I thought the genius of the Morse taper was that it can't get misaligned.

Bill Dufour
02-01-2020, 7:55 PM
Make sure the tang is lined up so it is at right angles to the slot for easy removal. the tang is not a drive feature . I am not really sure why it exists.
Bill D.

Richard Coers
02-03-2020, 12:30 AM
On industrial drill presses the tang takes the hit from a removal wedge. I used a Clausing at work that had a very loose fit on the tang, but you had to line it up to insert the taper. I've never struck a drill press chuck, always just quickly pop it in for the taper to grab.

Bruce Mack
02-03-2020, 1:45 PM
My thought is that this cone-in-cup linkage is surprisingly strong but susceptible to slight angulation variance. In the future I will always recalibrate if I have to reseat the arbor. I recall others commenting on and damning their new drillpress' runout. My Delta 17-965 remaindered from Lowes went from "Wadya expect at that price?" to "old arn, you can't beat that accuracy". With handtools I think of a new chisel or plane as a kit to be adjusted by me. To some extent this is true of power tooling as well.

George Makra
02-03-2020, 2:18 PM
An old Harley trick(used on crankshafts) is to use chalk on a taper lubes on insertion and hold the taper mighty strong after that.

Joe Drozd
02-03-2020, 10:32 PM
what kind of drill press do you have? I have a old walker turner 900 that was made i think in the 40's in very good shape. If i use the original jacob chuck it seems to grab the bits more evenly . I did put a cheap quick release chuck on , does not grab bits as evenly but i like the quick release. As mentioned earlier clean both mating surfaces and check for any raised nicks. I tap in with medium pressure a few times. I also put a slow speed attachment on to reduce rpm to about 260.I think when i got it i measured .002 with the jacob.

Bruce Mack
02-03-2020, 11:23 PM
It's a Delta 17-965. I bought it ~2006. The price had been marked down at Lowes and, though I saw no real need for it, I couldn't resist. I do like it and use it more often than I would have imagined. Its low speed is 250 and I keep it there.