PDA

View Full Version : sourcing wood

Josko Catipovic
01-31-2020, 10:16 AM
The hardwood lumberyard I've been dealing with for 30+ years got bought out by a national building supply firm, and sadly, it's time to find another source. I bought maybe 500-800 bft from them every couple of years. If anybody knows of a good supplier south of Boston and east of Providence, I'd be glad to chat with them. Otherwise, my options are either sight-unseen freight order or local sawmills. I' ve been dealing with a local sawmill now for a number of years, got good oak and white pine from them, learned to air-dry it, and have space for maybe 2000 bft in a drying shed. There are also sawmills that focus on 'live edge' and boule-sawing, although they seem more expensive than KD FAS stock.
I'm intrigued by switching over entirely to boule-sawn air dried supply and would welcome any comments from folks who made the change or have thought about the differences. I also wonder about using air-dried stock for show surfaces and KD for the rest. Are there aspects of this changeover I should be thinking about. Thanks in advance for helping me through this decision process. I don't sell what I make - just build boats and furniture as a hobby.

Lee Schierer
01-31-2020, 11:00 AM
Supposedly boule sawing is where the entire log is sawed and kept together in the order it was cut. Some references even saw the wood is then air dried without stickers, relying on the bulk to keep pieces flat.

Here is a pretty good reference for all wood related terminology. Wood Terms (https://www.advantagelumber.com/woodglossary/b-terms.html)

kent wardecke
01-31-2020, 4:00 PM
Sorry about your loss. I'm headed that way, Ralph won't live for ever
Boule sawing sounds expensive and unnecessary. Unless you need it for matched grain or booking