PDA

View Full Version : My newest plane

Tom Bussey
01-30-2020, 4:48 PM
I got this plane at an auction last night. It is a Stanley No.278 and I didn't have a clue as to what it was. The wife just got on ebay and had the answer in a minute or two. I know now that it is a rabbit and fillister plane. It seams that this plane is not so common and the prices jump all over the place. I do but I am wondering what the whole is for.

I have all the screws loose including the nickers on both sided. It seems that I am missing the fence and am wondering if a fence of from a 78 will fit. Does anyone have first hand knowledge if the will interchange or not.

I am also trying to decide if I should keep it and restore because it is just not in me to leave it as it is or post it for sale on the forum. Since I am undecided I would like to here what the general consensus is on this plane because I am definitely not a collector.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2020, 7:27 PM
Tom, It is surprising you didn't look at Patrick's Blood & Gore > http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan14.htm#num278

He tells about the plane and answers not only your question, but maybe a few others you may have.

jtk

Stew Denton
01-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Man Tom,

That looks like quite a beast. My guess is that it will not be worth as much to collectors with the 78 fence, but it probably will be worth more with a 78 than with out a fence at all.

Keep us informed if you restore it, as it will be neat to see how it turns out and how well it works.

Regards,

Stew

Tony Zaffuto
02-01-2020, 1:28 PM
Lee Richmond/The Best Things currently has a complete one listed, $189.00. No damage, but Japanning is only 20%.