PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood store locations

Mark Rios
12-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Can anyone here in the central valley of California PLEASE give me the locations of hardwood stores (with low prices hopefully) :-) . I'm in Modesto and only know of Aura Hardwoods here and Woodcraft in Dublin. Thanks very much.

Jamie Buxton
12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
There's The Woodsman, in Stockton. www.thewoodsman.net

Kent Parker
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Mark,

Try Handloggers 800-461-1969, 305 Cutting Blvd. Pt. Richmond, Ca. 94804.

MacBeath in Berkeley

Eco Timber in Berkeley.

Higgens in San Francisco

Kent

Don Baer
12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Mark;
You might PM Jason Tuinstra, He lives in Hanford and I believe he has a place in Fresno he likess.

Rob Bourgeois
12-21-2005, 1:11 PM
I have had luck with www.woodfinder.com

Mark Rios
12-23-2005, 1:59 AM
Thanks for the help. I found "The Woodsman" in Stockton. Thanks Jamie.

http://www.thewoodsman.net/

He has really nice stuff, a lot of it in fact. 11 semi truck trailers of it. And here's a tidbit he mentioned and said that I could relay.....He's getting out of the business-he's retiring. He's had to let his custom workers go because of the state reclassifying is business and upping his workers comp. to outrageous amounts. He'd love to sell the whole place he says but he's also selling his wood for less than he normally does piece by piece. He was REALLY friendly and patient and helpful; he showed me into his trailers with wood separated into types of woodworking......turning material in one trailer, carving in another, etc. Ebony, two types, cocobola, bocote, pistachio, lots of different species that I can't begin to remember. Big slabs and book-matched stuff also. He showed me his solar kiln and his vacuum kiln that he uses for the exotics. Really nice time. I got a few pieces, about $90 worth but I was definately regretting not having a bandsaw to mill some of the regular 4/4, 8/4, and 12/4 material that is there. It's very obvious that he lives his passion of wood. He was absolutely full of information and teaching. Other than the overwhelming amount of wood that he had, one thing that I remember was the half black walnut and half english walnut slabs he had. Somewhere between 16"and 20" wide. Really wild. Great place, well worth the trip.