PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" MDF - Where to get it?

Steve Bagi
12-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I live in SE PA and can't seem to find 1/4 mdf anywhere. I need it for glueing up veneered panels for a room divider. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

Travis Porter
12-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Could use 1/4" hardboard from the BORG instead.

Steve Bagi
12-21-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought about that but supposedly it isn't a good substrate for veneer.

Jamie Buxton
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
You might consider plywood instead. A nice effect is that one layer of nominally-1/4" ply plus two thicknesses of standard veneer is almost exactly 1/4" thick. That is, you can make the dados to hold it without fussing around.

Jim Becker
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
You will likely need to order 1/4" MDF from a full-service lumber yard or from a sheet good supplier. I've not seen it anywhere "retail". I know that Doylestown Lumber can get it...I've asked. So a similar outfit more local to you should also be able to do so. If you have a cabinet shop near you, you might ask them if they can get it for you from their sheet goods supplier (most of them will not sell to individuals or in small orders).

Keith Outten
12-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Steve,

Check your local area for Atlantic Plywood. If they have a facillity in your area they carry a full line of plwood and other sheet goods plus they have the largest selection of any supplier I know of..at least in Richmond Virginia.

If you really want the good stuff ask for Trupan, it is a brand of MDF that Sign Makers and Top Shops use frequently and is suitable for molding products as well. Trupan is also much easier on the lungs when routing than the garden varity of MDF sold at the Borg.