PDA

View Full Version : Nova Viking

Johnny Barr
01-27-2020, 3:52 PM
I'm after a new benchtop drill press with variable speed to replace my old cheap and nasty Chinese DP and discovered that Nova have introduced a "watered" down version of the Voyager but there is little information or reviews on this other than from the distributor and not one YouTube video. I have seen one in the flesh at my local woodwork store and really like the design and features and it suits me and the work I do perfectly.
Anyone own one? Any reviews?

https://www.teknatool.com/product/viking/

PS I know there are other variable speed DPs out there but I'm only interested in the Viking at this stage

Tom Dixon
01-27-2020, 5:59 PM
I have the Nova Voyager so I'm a fan. I only have one complaint about my Voyager and that is the mechanism to raise and lower the table is sloppy and has side to side movement but you find that on all drill presses with a 20th century single column design. A quick search shows a lot of vendors for it including Grizzly. The specs on Grizzly's site are as follows:

The NOVA Viking DVR 16" Benchtop drill press features simplified menus, larger icons, built in LEDs and Lasers. The DVR technology continues to bring unrepresented functionality and power to your DP, with unrivaled torque and smoothness in this category. Capable of drilling wood, metals plastics and glass. (Metals, plastics and glass may require a specialty table.)

FeaturesElectronic variable speed: 100 - 3000 RPM (programmable to 6000 RPM) for a variety of projects like hole drilling, mortising, and high speed sanding
Direct drive power: motor delivers correct speed and power to maintain optimal torque directly to the drill head across the entire speed range
Smart digital motor with smart sensors interacting to increase safety, assist in tasks, and increase performance
Easy to read digital display
No belts or pulleys to cause vibration and power loss, just smooth power
Emergency stop braking
Built-in laser and LED light to keep your project well lit
Electronic depth stop that stops automatically at the precise depth
Solid cast iron table for max stability
Self-start enables one handed drilling operation by automatically turning on and off
Easy access motor for quick service

Specifications
Swing: 16"
Stroke: 4.75"
Spindle to table: 12-2/3"
Spindle to base: 22-2/3"
Drill Chuck: 5/8"
Spindle taper: 2MT
Quill: 4.5" of quill travel in just 1-1/4 revolutions of the handle for increased accuracy
Motor: 1 HP Direct Drive Smart Motor, 110-220V, 50Hz/60Hz, Max 15A
Weight: 154 lbs.
2 year full replacement warranty on motor and controller
5 year full replacement warranty on all other parts

I honestly don't think you will be disappointed in it compared to practically anything else on the market for benchtop drill presses.

Larry Frank
01-27-2020, 7:44 PM
I have the Nova Voyager DVR floor model and love it. If I needed a bench top one I would go with it.

Johnny Barr
01-27-2020, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys but its the Nova Viking not the Nova Voyager that I'm interested in because it is a benchtop model, variable speed, cheaper, on screen adjustments and adequate specifications. Thanks for that Tom. Floor space is at a premium in my small workshop so it has to be a benchtop model. I'm staggered that there is so little information on this model given that it has now been out a few months. I'm also surprised that Teknatool haven't produced a video themselves. BTW I've seen the Bosch model which is also variable speed with on screen adjustments but it looks like a toy in comparison and I doubt its longevity.

Earl McLain
01-28-2020, 6:00 AM
I hadn't been aware that they brought that model out. I often have a need to drill over 3" deep into pen blanks. Normally drill on a lathe, but if the blank is out of square the drill press is a better choice. Not sure i can justify the cost...but that would be incredibly cool.
earl

Derek Cohen
01-28-2020, 9:46 AM
Johnny, I have two Novas, the Voyager (drill press) and the Saturn (lathe). They are reliable, powerful and very well built machines. As a brand, I would recommend the Viking.

Keep in mind that the Viking is not simply a cut-down Voyager. I decided to spring for the bigger sibling because of this. If my wife had not been that obliging, I would have happily purchased the Viking.

There was discussion about the Viking on the festoolownersgroup forum. This is a quote:

"Besides the difference in motor power, stroke and table size, the Viking doesn’t have the (4) speed presets and it also doesn’t have the menu system to select bit type and material type to get the recommended speed. You need to figure out the speed and turn the dial manually.

The manual depth gage is different between the 2 as well, but the electronic depth gage is so easy to use and so precise, I would imagine that would be the method used to set depth.

It does have the electronic depth control, reverse functionality, self start and it has a crosshair laser built in."

Regards from Perth

Derek