PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617EVS power switch

cecil dean
01-26-2020, 10:52 PM
I have a couple of 1617 that I us in router tables. I have a problem with dust getting into the power switch. I have cleaned and replaced the switch a couple of time now. Does anyone know if Bosch has improved their switch or if someone else make a better replacement switch?

Carl Crout
01-27-2020, 9:29 AM
Leave the switch on all of the time and plug the router into an outlet controlled by a switch or buy one of the commercial switches that they sell. I control my router and vacuum with a standard wall switch

Steve Wurster
01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Leave the switch on all of the time and plug the router into an outlet controlled by a switch or buy one of the commercial switches that they sell. I control my router and vacuum with a standard wall switch

That's probably the best advice for a router that stays in a table. I do that with my big Milwaukee; I can't remember the last time I touched the switch on that router itself.

If the OP uses the router(s) out of the table as well then the best advice is to ensure there's adequate dust collection. A few people have come up with solutions for preventing dust from going into the upside down router housing; I think there are kits you can buy as well.

Brian Behrens
01-27-2020, 2:26 PM
I've had the same issue using my 1617 as a handheld. It would be nice if they fixed the issue and offered an updated switch. I agree with the others, leave it on, put a strip of duct tape over it, and activate it with a remote control or external switch on the router table

Wade Lippman
01-28-2020, 12:02 PM
How old is your router? They had the same problem 15 years ago and sent out replacements on request. I assumed they had fixed the problem, but maybe not.

But yeah, you shouldn't be using the router switch on a router table.