PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for Older Performax 22-44

Ryan Rice
01-26-2020, 9:48 PM
Hey all. New member here, been reading for a a bit, but this is my first post.

Thinking about getting a drum sander.

A nice looking, but older “made in USA” performax 22-44 has popped up for sale. It’s a 3 legged model, and includes Bolt on extension table.

He is asking $825 which I think is to steep considering it’s age, and is lacking some features of the newer ones.

What do you think is a fair price for such and older machine?

Furthermore, what should I “look out for” on an older model like this?
Are replacement parts gonna be an issue ?

Thanks folks.

Richard Coers
01-27-2020, 1:28 PM
What's fair is between you and him. If it's ready to run and you have a project waiting, then buy it. Do you see them often for sale around you? If not, buy it. No idea about backwards parts compatibility from the new machines.

Tom Bender
02-05-2020, 6:15 AM
Do you need a drum sander? Do you have room for it? Have you used one?

Brian Tymchak
02-05-2020, 10:08 AM
A Jet 22-44 is going for $1600+ on Amazon. An old rule of thumb is to list used equipment at about 50% of the new price which is almost exactly the price you provided. I wouldn't doubt that the seller also knows this rule-of-thumb. So, if the sander is in good shape, then the asking price IMHO is reasonable. You might be able to get another $50 off if the seller is motivated.

Brian Tymchak
02-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Re: replacement parts available, try searching ereplacementparts.com for that machine. Also, there might be some cross compatibility berween Performax and Jet machines.

David M Peters
02-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Is it the machine discussed in this article (https://www.wwgoa.com/article/jet-22-44-plus-drum-sander/#)? If so, the features it is missing are digital readout and quick-adjust. While I often use the quick-adjust feature on my 16" sander I've found no use yet for the digital readout. The price seems fair-ish to me but it might vary based on the condition of the conveyor belt.