PDA

View Full Version : toy box parts

Ken Miller
12-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I guess what I'm looking is recommendations on the mechanism that will hold the lid open and whether it should hold it open at any angle or just when it is fully opened.
Thanks in advance.
Ken Miller

Grant Stevens
12-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I purchased my lid holder mechanism from Rockler. I cannot comment on the function of them yet, as I have not quite yet completed the toybox (soon!).

The important thing is to prevent the lid from coming down and hitting/trapping the child. The toy box lids are rated for torque ranges to work appropriately for your lid size/weight.

Grant

Travis Porter
12-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Home Depot and Lowes both sell them. They are spring loaded and keep the top from slamming and opening too far. I would definitely recommend putting them on any lid like this. I have been happy with them, but I had to get a friend to get inside the box to mark the holes as I couldn't figure out how to mount it.

Art Mulder
12-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Ken,
I used the Lee Valley lid supports in a simple toybox that I built six years ago and they have held up well, if you'll pardon the pun. They work fine, do the job, and have not worn out.

Part #03K20.06 at Lee Valley.

They hold it open, and prevent it from slamming. They do *not* hold it open at any angle.