PDA

View Full Version : Tool Kit for non tool users

Tom Bender
01-26-2020, 8:41 AM
On two occasions I have made up simple tool kits for girls/women who had maybe 1 screwdriver and were living alone, apartment, dorm room whatever. My wife still prizes hers, it's a kitchen resource. Though she is welcome to borrow from my shop she often uses her own tools. Anyway, it makes a fine gift. Deciding on the contents is a fun exercise. Parameters; it must fit in a small steel box, not larger than 2" x 6" x 12" so it stores and travels easily (a hammer can be separate), it must be inexpensive.

flat and phillips screwdrivers, one each - multi-bit tools are too fussy

pliers, 1 ordinary, 1 needle nose with wire cutter

utility knife with retractable blade

2" putty knife

a kit of picture hangers

a smallish claw hammer

a piece of crocus cloth

small tape measure

What would you add?

jeff norris 2011
01-26-2020, 11:18 AM
I go with the multi head screw driver as Robertson and Torx and hex keys come in handy as do various sizes. It it is most efficient solution to cover a wide range of application. I also like a few jewellers screw drivers - Phillips and common, does not take up space and come in handy (fixing glasses etc).

As for other stuff:

-painters tape
-mini Level
-some screws and drywall plugs
-Crescent Wrench
-mini flashlight

....and never forget these - safety glasses!

Bill Dufour
01-26-2020, 11:39 AM
I take 1/2 roll of toilet paper. and flatten it. Put it in a baggie and place it under the seat of a car. Good for emergencies like dirty hands from fixing car stuff, wrapping little specimans and it's original use.
I have upgraded the car tool kits into laptop computer bags. The school threw them away at the end of the year so I swiped some clean ones.
Bill D.

PS: Add a lighter and some heatshrink. Maybe little vise grips. I needed a new outdoor faucet handle in the garden. A mini vise grip tool from horrible fright was cheaper then a simple handle!
Bill D

Gary Ragatz
01-26-2020, 11:46 AM
Another vote for the multi-bit screwdriver.

Duct tape.

Pencil.

mike stenson
01-26-2020, 11:53 AM
I'd get one of the small screwdriver tool-rolls (or multi-bit kits, although I dislike those a lot) from someplace like ifixit as well. Modern electronics are filled with tamper-resistant fasteners, it's really handy to have them hanging around. Even if all you want to do is tighten one of them that's loosened.

Mike Cutler
01-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Tom

I think you're underestimating the multi bit screwdriver set. My wife loves hers. It does need to be a good one though.
My wife has her own kits, but she's not the atypical stereotype. The car battery died on a Sunday in South Philly many years ago ,250 miles from home. She went into a store, bought a battery, the only one that would fit in the space, and all the tools necessary to put it in. It wasn't the exact replacement battery for a Saab, but it fit, and she was on her way. She bought a nice kit too. Still have it here at home.

Doug Garson
01-26-2020, 1:06 PM
+1 on the multi bit screwdriver and also a Swiss Army knife or Leatherman. Add some Crazy Glue, duct tape (if you can't fix it with duct tape it ain't fixable (I think Red Green said that)) and 5 min epoxy. Why a metal box? Perfect chance to personalize the gift by making a wooden tool box.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2020, 2:38 PM
What would you add?

Another vote for a Crescent wrench.

The "house tool kit" resides in my old aluminum lunchbox from my working days. It is approximately 5X7X14".

Some other items include:

An old Altoids container to hold some allen wrenches. My old office chair has a couple of bolts that work themselves loose.

A pair of water pump pliers. Most often these are used for cracking nuts.

A box cutter.

A 10" torpedo leval.

An old toothbrush and a paint brush. These come in handy often.

There are a few other odds & ends like electrical tape, bolts, nails and a hunk of wax.

Candy uses these when she wants.

jtk

Jim Becker
01-26-2020, 7:36 PM
I feel a need to suggest that this need isn't limited to girls/women. Plenty of men don't have an appropriate tool box and contents to handle basic needs around an apartment or home. In some cases, I'd say that might even approach "most men"... wink, wink...nod, nod...

Edwin Santos
01-26-2020, 7:57 PM
Consider adding a small flashlight, the kind Harbor freight gives away, or you can find them in dollar stores. Maybe some extra batteries too.

Or spend $16.99 and get this 39 piece kit on Amazon which has most of the items mentioned so far:

https://tinyurl.com/rt2f3t5

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2020, 8:56 AM
I bought each of my kids a "toolkit for dummies" or some such thing.

It's a blow molded plastic case with pliers, screwdrivers, a utility knife, a torpedo level and a tape measure.

It covers most of their needs and is compact.........Rod.

Stephen Tashiro
01-27-2020, 11:27 AM
flat and phillips screwdrivers, one each - multi-bit tools are too fussy

I don't like the multi-bit drivers that use bits that are only an inch long and hold them magnetically because the bits pull out. A good alternative is the type of diver that uses longer bits of the type that lock in place. On this type, the whole shaft can be pulled out of the handle and reversed. So without carrying loose bits around, you have 4 different bit heads available, 2 from each reversible bit on each end of the reversible shaft. Klein tools makes such screwdrivers. Cheaper versions are made by Kobalt and Craftsman.

Jerome Stanek
01-27-2020, 12:22 PM
You can get a four way screw driver from Harbor Freight for free that works very well I keep one in each of my vehicles but mine are Wright tools that I got free

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Don't forget the proper safety warnings. Like, "Not for internal use" (I actually saw that on a box of steel wool soap pads from Dollar General)

Tom Bender
01-27-2020, 4:01 PM
Yes on the 'Me Too' movement for men

And yes on alternate box materials (I was stuck in my own memory rut)

I guess safety glasses and bandaids could make the list, but I'm drawing the line at an emergency supply of toilet paper

A tooth brush and a 2" paint brush are good, and electrical tape

A pair of AA batteries plus a $20 bill will get used for sure

Monte Milanuk
01-28-2020, 10:10 AM
I'm another one that is partial to the multi-bit screwdrivers... Love those Klein 10-in-1!

Something that I don't believe I've seen mentioned yet that I find incredibly useful for odd jobs around the house is one of those little "4-in-hand" file/rasp combos that go for $5-10 at the local hardware/home store.

Flamone LaChaud
01-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Let's see if I can remember what I put on my list for "things every house/apt needs" toolbox.
1. Wooden handled hammer
2, A pair of slotted screwdrivers (long and short) and a pair of Phillips head screwdrivers (long and short)
3. Miniature screwdriver set
4. Pliers - needlenose and regular
5. Adjustable wrenches (small and large)
6. Utility knife and utility scissors
7. Tape - Duct, Painters, and electrical
8. Hex key set
9. 6 or 12" level
10. Good flashlight
11. 3 in 1 oil, Battery cleaner spray
12. Crazy glue.
13, Assortment of small nails and screws
14. small assortment of hose clamps
15. Work gloves and Nitrile gloves.
16. Safety glasses.

I'm thinking there were a couple of other things, but this is the bulk of it.

Jim Koepke
01-28-2020, 11:20 AM
In one of my field service tech positions we used Jensen tool kits.

Here they are starting from the lowest price going up > https://www.jensentools.com/search.aspx?f=1%3a348&sort=price

The kit for general maintenance will set you back close to $700:

Jensen Deluxe General Maintenance Tool Kit (https://www.jensentools.com/jensen-tools-jtk-1011-deluxe-general-maintenance-tool-kit-jtk-1011/p/jtk-1011#0)

jtk

Andrew Joiner
01-28-2020, 11:45 AM
I've got a few of these for emergency tool kits. The locking part is handy.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ

Tom Bender
01-31-2020, 10:36 PM
A pack of picture hangers would be a good addition.

Bill Dufour
02-01-2020, 8:12 PM
some tooth picks and golf tees to plug leaks and hoses.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2020, 1:12 AM
some tooth picks and golf tees to plug leaks and hoses.

This brought something a bit off topic to mind my brother does when he buys a hose. Before he even uses it he wraps some tape around it in a few places. Then takes it out and makes a mud puddle to drag it through. Then if he forgets and leaves it out most theives will look for a better hose to steal.

jtk

Gary Ragatz
02-02-2020, 9:12 AM
There are people who go looking for hoses to steal??

Jim Koepke
02-02-2020, 2:16 PM
There are people who go looking for hoses to steal??

The are not out looking for hoses. They are opportunist who will steal anything they think they can sell.

A dirty leaky hose will not sell. A brand new shiny hose is an easier sell. An opportunistic low life is not likely to expend the effort to even wipe the hose off.

jtk

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2020, 5:53 AM
There are people who go looking for hoses to steal??Priced a really good rubber hose recently? Damned things can run a couple hundred dollars! Yeah - I was sort of shocked at the price too! I only know this because I just went in search of one. Lowes sells the Flexzilla for like $100 something!

John Goodin
02-04-2020, 7:40 PM
A small 1/4” socket set with sockets up to half inch and similar metric. I bought one as a Black Friday impulse buy. It is the go to set about 90 percent of the time. My buddy who works as a carpenter realized the portability and convenience and bought a similar set and says it is all he uses. So much easier than trying to use pliers.

Plus 1 to Jim. My in-laws are in their 80s and have never had more than a hammer and three screwdrivers.