PDA

View Full Version : Three firsts for me (pic)

Jeremy Gibson
12-21-2005, 9:35 AM
I just finished a desk-top CD rack for an Xmas gift. This was my first woodworking gift, my first project with hardwood instead of pine, and my first project pic.

I included a CD for scale. It's about 12" wide and 7" tall. The box is made of curley maple and the CD runners, top, and trim are walnut. Finish is two coats of Minwax natural stain and two coats of wipe-on poly. The best part is that a CD actually fits smoothly into the slot and doesn't fall out.

Thanks to the creekers for the design advise and for looking.

Roger Bailey
12-21-2005, 9:46 AM
Good job. Your choice in wood was nice, the two look great togather. Its nice to pass something on that you made your self. Each project I finish I cant wait to start the next one because by the time I'm done I have figured a better way of doing somthing or a better looking way of doing something. Once again congrads' and Merry Christmas!:)

Alan Tolchinsky
12-21-2005, 9:53 AM
Hi Jeremy, You did a nice job on that. Could you describe the construction a bit? Thanks Alan

John Hemenway
12-21-2005, 9:59 AM
Nice job, Jeremy. I really like the way you did the runners. Almost a shame to put CDs in there an cover most of them up! :)

Frank Pellow
12-21-2005, 9:59 AM
Very nice Jeremy. The walnut and maple look good together.

Jason Tuinstra
12-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Jeremy, wow, a lot of firsts! Welcome to the world of hardwood. It looks like you've mastered the combination of woods and wood selection. The project looks great. Now that you got this down, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Nice first hardwood project Jeremy! I like the contrasting woods and the finish!

Jim Becker
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Sharp looking, Jeremy!! I also like the contrast between the walnut and maple...one of my favorite combinations.

John Miliunas
12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Very fine piece, Jeremy and hopefully, you've come to appreciate the beauty of hardwoods! Yeah, we've all seen some great stuff out of Pine but, nice hardwoods just take it to the next level and you've done a marvelous job with them!:) Those runners are killer, BTW! :) :cool:

John Bailey
12-21-2005, 2:59 PM
Jeremy,

Very nice, and I love the maple/walnut combination.

John

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-21-2005, 3:00 PM
Lookin' REAL GOOD, Roger.

Bruce

Jeremy Gibson
12-21-2005, 9:11 PM
Hi Jeremy, You did a nice job on that. Could you describe the construction a bit? Thanks Alan

Alan,
The construction is very simple...this was my first "real" project after all. ;) The top and bottom are rabbited into the sides. Next time I'll experiment with dovetails. I cut a dado in the top and bottom to receive the center divider. Then 1/4" dados lined up carefully to receive the walnut runners.

One thing I did (not pictured) is to carry the center divider through the back so the back panel is in two pieces. If I had a band saw it would have been a perfect time to create a bookmatched back. Yes, that means I need a new tool to celebrate!!

The top is a 1/4" piece of walnut with a quarter-round cut into it and then a 1/4" cove piece under to cover the joint line. The bottom molding has an ogee shape routed into it. I made all the molding cuts from square walnut stock.

Corey Hallagan
12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Excellent Project, Craftsmanship and Gift! Be proud, it looks great!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
12-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Very nice job, Jeremy. Isn't it sweet to work with nice wood? You did it justice, too.

You'll find there are upsides and downsides to making gifts. The upside is that the accolades you'll get from the recipient will only motivate you to make more stuff...and the downside is that you'll have a hard time letting go of some of your projects. The upsides do outweigh the downsides, though. ;)

Also, now that you've posted your first project pics, the Picture Police will be especially vigilant, since they now know you have a camera. You have been warned. :p Looking forward to seeing more projects.

- Vaughn

Frank Chaffee
12-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Excellent Jeremy!

Just today i was thing of making a cd case. I envisioned slots cut in the uprights that were a little taller than the thickness of a cd.

I much prefer your classy inlaid strips!

Nice work.

Frank

John Hart
12-22-2005, 5:37 AM
Very pretty Jeremy! Like the others....I really love walnut and maple together. Great wood choice. The runners are extra special. What a wonderful gift that will be treasured.:)