PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder burl bowl

Dueane Hicks
01-24-2020, 7:10 PM
I turned this box elder burl the other day and sort of like how it came out. Had some trouble with the inclusions and finishing. This blank and some others came with the used lathe I bought a couple months ago. I'm learning a lot and plan to join my local (1 hr away) turning club, so I can learn from the Guru's of wood turning. I also turned some alder firewood that too, had a bunch of inclusions and low and behold; it shrunk to 1/4 it's original size. I'm realizing how much of a challenge it is to sand and finish these live edge (broken edge).

Robert Hayward
01-24-2020, 7:18 PM
Nice work and real nice box elder wood.

John K Jordan
01-24-2020, 7:32 PM
I also turned some alder firewood that too, had a bunch of inclusions and low and behold; it shrunk to 1/4 it's original size.....

Nice job and beautiful burl! I don't normally like to turn box elder but please bring me some of that! :)

But shrinking to 1/4 of the original size??? You mean an 8" diameter bowl shrunk while drying down to 2" diameter? I've never turned Alder but that doesn't sound right.

BTW, I smooth and sand things like that (and most bowls and platters) off the lathe. I smooth with hand scrapers then go directly to fine sandpaper.

JKJ

Dueane Hicks
01-24-2020, 9:23 PM
Nice job and beautiful burl! I don't normally like to turn box elder but please bring me some of that! :)

But shrinking to 1/4 of the original size??? You mean an 8" diameter bowl shrunk while drying down to 2" diameter? I've never turned Alder but that doesn't sound right.

BTW, I smooth and sand things like that (and most bowls and platters) off the lathe. I smooth with hand scrapers then go directly to fine sandpaper.

JKJ

I was referring to starting out with a big piece of wood, only to end up with a small one because of turning out defects in the wood......or or practicing with my gouge.

John K Jordan
01-24-2020, 10:30 PM
I was referring to starting out with a big piece of wood, only to end up with a small one because of turning out defects in the wood......or or practicing with my gouge.

Oh, excellent practice technique!