PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a guide to buying and setting up a K40

Joey Phillips
01-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for the newbie post but I thought I may just ask if anyone could point me in a good direction on what to expect getting into a K40. Any websites, guides, walkthroughs and recommendations are appreciated. I am a woodworking hobbyist and looking to get a K40 to make a little side change and who knows what else. I have been watching a lot of videos and trying to read but it can be a little overwhelming as there seem to be so many different "brands" of the K40 on Amazon and ebay. It seems this machine is something that you just have to upgrade a few things and you are good to go (adding an air assist, maybe new lenses etc) I am also curious as the learning curve and how long it took to get the machine going and making things. I have reviewed parts of the sticky but it's almost just information overload. Same goes for the safety features as I haven't done much wiring in the past...just wondering how easy it is to get a safe, effective unit going. Any advice etc would be great. Again, sorry for the clutter post.

Bill George
01-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Not a K40 forum, I don't think anyone here can help. There is a very active Grouo on Facebook.

Clark Pace
01-23-2020, 1:14 PM
Hi everyone, sorry for the newbie post but I thought I may just ask if anyone could point me in a good direction on what to expect getting into a K40. Any websites, guides, walkthroughs and recommendations are appreciated. I am a woodworking hobbyist and looking to get a K40 to make a little side change and who knows what else. I have been watching a lot of videos and trying to read but it can be a little overwhelming as there seem to be so many different "brands" of the K40 on Amazon and ebay. It seems this machine is something that you just have to upgrade a few things and you are good to go (adding an air assist, maybe new lenses etc) I am also curious as the learning curve and how long it took to get the machine going and making things. I have reviewed parts of the sticky but it's almost just information overload. Same goes for the safety features as I haven't done much wiring in the past...just wondering how easy it is to get a safe, effective unit going. Any advice etc would be great. Again, sorry for the clutter post.

http://k40d40lasers.freeforums.net/

My advice. If you are a tinkerer, fixer upper then the k40 can be fun project. But if you want out of the box professional experience you may not get it. I had a k40 years (2011) there was extra help. And I had fun with. Even made a few dollars. Try this site.

http://k40d40lasers.freeforums.net/

Matt Schrum
01-23-2020, 1:19 PM
I don't have a K40, but I know there are a few guides out there. I'd start with the below:
https://hackaday.com/2018/09/27/laser-noob-getting-started-with-the-k40-laser/

https://hackaday.com/tag/k40/

Bill George
01-23-2020, 2:35 PM
From the research I did when considering one, is by the time you get done with all the upgrades needed to have a usable machine you have $1,000 invested. At that point you realize for a few hundred more you could have a real machine that worked out of the box. But if you want a project, go for it.

Ian Stewart-Koster
01-31-2020, 9:11 AM
The comments above are very pertinent.

The sentence that everyone avoids saying, in order to be politically correct, is that the K40 is a piece of junk 99% of the time- suitable for a patient hobby person, just.

They are cheap for a reason: poor quality components, for starters.

Hope that helps, seriously!

John Lifer
01-31-2020, 10:03 AM
It's not even the 'upgrades', it is the tube WILL fail quickly, the power supply is too small, the controller is junk, and the wiring is dangerous.
There is most probably no K40 that will work for more than a very short time without significant additional investment.
Buy a better laser if you want to do something other than work on it.

Dave Sheldrake
02-04-2020, 10:31 AM
is that the K40 is a piece of junk 99% of the time

Yup, Ian nailed it. They are typically junk that varies between workable junk and dangerous junk.

Bill George
02-04-2020, 12:54 PM
And in spite of the advice they buy them anyway!! "Those people just don't know I love a challenge"