PDA

View Full Version : Anybody reading Popular Woodworking?

dennis thompson
01-22-2020, 12:55 PM
I just got an offer from Popular Woodworking for $10 for a year. Is anyone subscribing to it? What do you think of it?

Jim Koepke
01-22-2020, 1:48 PM
My offer a few years ago was for two years for $20. The subscription has since lapsed.

Occasionally it will catch my eye in the super market rack. In the last year only one Fine Woodworking has actually been purchased, no Popular Woodworking seemed to contain anything of value to me.

If you really want some good reading try finding old issues at thrift stores and garage/yard/estate sales.

jtk

Carl Crout
01-22-2020, 2:34 PM
Got the same offer today and not sure I should try it

William Chain
01-22-2020, 3:25 PM
At this point it is a Rockler catalog with prettier pictures. I just let it lapse, and Woodworker's Journal too. That is a Rockler catalog with YouTubers as the featured experts. Done.

Even their sponsored workshop giveaways are reduced to utter crap. After a craptacular December to Remember giveaway, my last issue has their spring 2020 giveaway - it's the best Delta gear available at your local Lowe's.

It is really sad to see the level to which both publications have degraded.

Derek Meyer
01-22-2020, 4:51 PM
I took a Popular Woodworking subscription when I got one of those $10/year offers. I let it lapse after one year. Too many advertisements, and the content seemed to be more beginner to intermediate level, even to me, and I do not have a great deal of experience. I still get Fine Woodworking and am considering Woodsmith because of a discount offer they recently sent.

Izzy Camire
01-22-2020, 7:05 PM
I had gotten a 2 years for $20 offer 2 years ago. I took it and have been reading the magazines but I only find them soso. I will not renew the subscription.

jeff norris 2011
01-22-2020, 7:32 PM
I used to love my woodworking magazines back in the day. The quality however has diminished and the internet has taken over as a better source of woodworking info and entertainment

William Chain
01-23-2020, 7:52 AM
I do enjoy the occasional Furniture & Cabinetmaking, a nice mag from the UK. I sometimes find it on the magazine rack at the local big box bookstore. Pricey, but far higher quality publication than PWW or WJ.

Terry Wawro
01-23-2020, 8:07 AM
It's my understanding that Pop WoodWorking was bought out and went through a reorganization. I have the NOV/2019 issue in front of me. Not much to it. Very thin. It's less than than an 1/8 Inch thick. Looks more like a sales insert from the Sunday paper.

Having said that, the articles are well written with good photos and illustrations. No way would I pay the $7.99 newsstand single issue price but for $10 a year I'll keep the subscription.

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2020, 7:31 PM
Popular Woodworking home is here in Cincinnati. I use to go to events there.
Had a lot of respect for the magazine when Christopher Schwarz, Megan Fitzpatrick and others were there doing events like Woodworking In America or open house events with manufactures demo new products etc....
That all seemed to end once they left the magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine was sold.
They were doing great things to advance the craft of Woodworking and thankful Christopher and Megan have continued on their own

lowell holmes
01-25-2020, 9:36 PM
For $10 I would try it.
I subscribed for years, but I find the current magazine to be lacking.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2020, 3:03 PM
For $10 I would try it.

My last Pop Wood subscription was $20 for two years. It wasn't renewed at that price.

The $10 offer came in the mail last week. It was laughed at and tossed in the recycling box.

jtk

dennis thompson
01-27-2020, 8:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't plan to subscribe.

Clark Hussey
01-27-2020, 9:28 AM
I get my subscription through the Apple news app. Every once in a while you find a gem.

Karl Zetmeir
06-19-2020, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;2986162]Popular Woodworking home is here in Cincinnati. I use to go to events there.
Had a lot of respect for the magazine when Christopher Schwarz, Megan Fitzpatrick and others were there doing events like Woodworking In America or open house events with manufactures demo new products etc....
That all seemed to end once they left the magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine was sold.
They were doing great things to advance the craft of Woodworking and thankful Christopher and Megan have continued on their own

I couldn't agree more. I've been subscribed to PW for over 25 years, but have sadly watched the quality go downhill after Chris Schwartz left. Further saddened to see that the editor has declared his intent to use it as a forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media. I've cancelled my subscription and gone with WOOD magazine. Much better quality.

Frank Pratt
06-19-2020, 12:14 PM
For $10 I would try it.

So, you would throw away the $10, even though you know it's not good?

Rick Potter
06-19-2020, 1:01 PM
Why shouldn't Lowell spend $10. That hardly gets him a double mocha barista coffee.

Which one is throwing $10 away?

That being said, I did not renew, because other magazines are better suited for my situation.

I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to wonder about WoodSmith, after the seemingly continuous reorganizations and figuring different ways to bundle and sell their left overs.

I still take WoodSmith, and Wood...... Woodcraft and Woodworkers Journal only when there are deals.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2020, 2:00 PM
Why shouldn't Lowell spend $10. That hardly gets him a double mocha barista coffee.

Which one is throwing $10 away?

My enjoyment of a double mocha frogachino would likely outlive my enjoyment of a poorly done magazine with an "editor who has declared his intent to use a woodworking magazine as a (his) forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media."

Recently my brother sent me some Fine Woodworking magazines starting with issue Number 1. It is interesting that many of these are already in my library and were seen years ago, but the material seems fresh. If nothing else it has refreshed my memory.

It occurs to me if Fine Woodworking reprinted some of these articles or wrote new versions it might actually be an improvement on their current offerings.

In the first dozen or so issues there were three or four articles on different aspects of mortise and tenon joinery.

One was on timber framing that had a passing comment on using a snapped line on the center of an uneven beam for joinery layout.

jtk

Thomas McCurnin
06-21-2020, 11:43 AM
I read every woodworking magazine published, and always have. Not every issue is jam-packed with great projects, but for the buck or two I spend on an issue, I'll always come away with something.

Jim Koepke
06-21-2020, 3:07 PM
I read every woodworking magazine published, and always have. Not every issue is jam-packed with great projects, but for the buck or two I spend on an issue, I'll always come away with something.

Thomas, right next to me is an issue of Fine Woodworking from October of 2017 that didn't give back much change from a saw buck. If it was only a buck or two it could have been forgiven for being so light on content. ($8.99 cover price plus state sales tax.)

Also next to me is an issue of Fine Woodworking from Spring 1977 with a cover price of $2.50. It isn't in color but it has a lot more to offer between the covers.

jtk

Thomas McCurnin
06-21-2020, 8:52 PM
If you are paying cover price for a magazine subscription, then you are over-paying. With a subscription, the actual price is a fraction of the cover price.

And I'll beg to differ on Fine Woodworking. There were a number of good "Workshop Tips" that I liked such as using a digital angle cube in lieu of winding sticks, and a simple shop made jig for sharpening hand saws. In the feature article section there was an article on shop made side handing drawers, a review of small cordless routers, and an article on floating shelves. Now, I'm not ready for any of these projects right yet, but it was a nice read for me. I especially liked the article on floating shelves, and the author's technique.

I think, although I could be wrong, that each issue costs me a couple of bucks and I got a good hour of read time.

Compare that to going to the strip club, where even with my senior discount, a hour there will put me back at least $50. :)

Jim Koepke
06-21-2020, 10:55 PM
Compare that to going to the strip club, where even with my senior discount, a hour there will put me back at least $50.

LOL!

To the best of my knowledge the closest strip club may be in San Francisco, about 700 miles away. Surely there are some closer, but in all likelihood my time around a woman taking her cloths off will be at home.

My subscriptions have all lapsed. Even though PopWood was in the low price range, it still didn't appeal to me.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
06-22-2020, 7:15 AM
[I couldn't agree more. I've been subscribed to PW for over 25 years, but have sadly watched the quality go downhill after Chris Schwartz left. Further saddened to see that the editor has declared his intent to use it as a forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media. I've cancelled my subscription and gone with WOOD magazine. Much better quality.

I took a chance today and bought WOOD for 3 years for $30. I supect that means they are going to sell it and are building subscriber numbers. But we'll see.

Michael J Evans
06-28-2020, 6:45 PM
LOL!

To the best of my knowledge the closest strip club may be in San Francisco, about 700 miles away. Surely there are some closer, but in all likelihood my time around a woman taking her cloths off will be at home.

My subscriptions have all lapsed. Even though PopWood was in the low price range, it still didn't appeal to me.

jtk

Jim,
Obviously you haven't spent much time in Portland.

Jim Koepke
06-29-2020, 3:26 PM
Jim,
Obviously you haven't spent much time in Portland.

Not a whole lot, but it isn't something that catches my attention.

It is more likely a brew pub or antique shop would catch my eye.

jtk

Derek Meyer
06-30-2020, 5:06 PM
When my wife and I go to Portland it is Powell's Book Store that draws us in. It occupies a city block in downtown Portland and sells new and used books. I always find stuff there I've never seen anywhere else and haven't been able find online.

A friend of mine was looking to get rid of a ton of old books from his house. He rented a U-Haul trailer and filled it completely with books, then drove over to Powell's for them to go through. It took them a month, but they cataloged every one and made him an offer for the lot, which he accepted. His wife was ecstatic.

Archie Owen
11-02-2020, 3:55 PM
never heard of it but would study

Bruce Wrenn
11-02-2020, 9:19 PM

Which, book store, or strip club? I've never quite figured out why they call strip joints "gentleman's clubs."

Bernie Kopfer
11-02-2020, 9:55 PM
For ten bucks I am always able to find enough to make it worthwhile. And it seems as of late it has gotten a bit better.

Jim Koepke
11-04-2020, 1:26 AM

Howdy Archie and welcome to the Creek. Your post made go back and reread some of the old posts to get back into this.

jtk

mike stenson
11-04-2020, 3:13 PM
Compare that to going to the strip club, where even with my senior discount, a hour there will put me back at least $50. :)

Go at lunchtime. When I was broke in my 20's, it meant free food and a $2 beer. ;)

Bill Dufour
11-05-2020, 12:51 AM
Strip club? is that where a bunch of guys get together and watch the pros remove stuff. Do they still use MEK in public or is it only the tamer stuff like citrus oil. I have heard of oil wrestling. Do they use linseed oil? we all know that silicone is a no no, it inhibits a good time finish.
Bill D

Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of strippers, yes that saint Nicholas. Ho Ho Ho!

Archie Owen
11-05-2020, 2:23 PM
yesterday a friend told me that he used it and really liked it, he also recommended me The Practical Workshop: a woodworker's guide to workbenches, layout & tools is also very interesting. I am still a student, I read a lot of similar literature and I have little time to complete written assignments, if you are familiar with this you can try this (https://studydriver.com/epic-of-gilgamesh-essay/) to read examples of interesting Epic Of Gilgamesh essays, choose the ready-made materials necessary for your discipline or use the help of tools for writing this kind, good luck!