PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Parallel Clamp Grip/Handle Replacements

orren countin
01-21-2020, 6:49 PM
I have older Bessey parallel clamps with wooden handles. They are getting very chewed up.
Are there replacement grips to be had? perhaps larger diameter and material more durable then wood.
Thanks!

John Lanciani
01-21-2020, 6:57 PM
I have to ask; how are they getting “chewed up”? I have a whole bunch that are 20+ years old and that get used all the time and they haven’t even lost their paint.

orren countin
01-21-2020, 7:17 PM
yea, Im afraid of the backlash... sometimes I use pliers on the wood bessey handels to get enough torque and tighten like I want.

Mike Kees
01-21-2020, 7:40 PM
Pipe clamps....:D

Jim Becker
01-21-2020, 8:11 PM
yea, Im afraid of the backlash... sometimes I use pliers on the wood bessey handels to get enough torque and tighten like I want.

Sand them smooth, slather with bondo, sand them again, paint. They were not designed to be tightened with something with teeth like that. Even the latest version would suffer from that. Tightening beyond what you can do with your hand is unlikely to ever be actually needed, honestly.

Myles Moran
01-21-2020, 8:14 PM
Younger and dumber me did the same thing. Older me now has bar and pipe clamps to crank down when it's needed. Older me also appreciates the rougher handles, that red paint can be slick, even when I'm using them to gently hold something together. I'd take off anything that might splinter and leave them as is.

Steve Eure
01-21-2020, 8:15 PM
Orren, instead of using pliers, here are a few suggestions.
First, try to wrap the handles with grip tape, the type baseball players and golfers use.
Second, drill a hole in the wooden handle and use a screwdriver or something similat to give you some leverage when the handles get slick or hard to turn.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2020, 8:28 PM
yea, Im afraid of the backlash... sometimes I use pliers on the wood bessey handles to get enough torque and tighten like I want.

Hey don't let them give you any grief. There are times that you just do what needs to be done, and that can certainly happen in the middle of a complicated glueup. If it makes you feel any better some of mine have teeth marks in them. Lately I have to use them to loosen, getting old I guess. Remember, the handles are replaceable, your hands are not.

That drill a hole and use a screwdriver sounds like an excellent way to split a wood handle. I have always been wanting to tape a matching nut on the end and then shave the handle to match, but I have a large pair of Channel Locks on the pegboard so I lack incentive.

Derek Cohen
01-21-2020, 8:41 PM
Wrap the handle with a silicon self-sealing tape (as I have). This provides a softer, grippy grip. Pretty durable stuff and comes in a variety of colours ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=self+sealing+tape&rlz=1C9BKJA_enAU724AU724&hl=en-GB&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0sq2hiJbnAhWFzjgGHQTKBo4Q_AUoAnoECA8QA g&biw=1024&bih=659&dpr=2#imgrc=3sWe59EezJ1coM

Regards from Perth

Derek

orren countin
01-21-2020, 9:20 PM
Hey don't let them give you any grief. There are times that you just do what needs to be done, and that can certainly happen in the middle of a complicated glueup. If it makes you feel any better some of mine have teeth marks in them. Lately I have to use them to loosen, getting old I guess. Remember, the handles are replaceable, your hands are not.

That drill a hole and use a screwdriver sounds like an excellent way to split a wood handle. I have always been wanting to tape a matching nut on the end and then shave the handle to match, but I have a large pair of Channel Locks on the pegboard so I lack incentive.

yea good insight. Thats a lot of it. Even just today the handle was difficult to get my hand on and I used the robogrips to turn in small increments. It helped and I could see the glue squeeze out of the joint.

John Gornall
01-21-2020, 9:56 PM
Hands not as strong as they once were - and Bessey parallel handles don't help - mostly use pipe clamps now

Mike Kees
01-21-2020, 10:14 PM
I have extremely dry skin on my hands especially in the winter. I wrap slick handles with hockey tape. Also have some of the soft knit gloves with rubber coated palms that I really am starting to like when jointing rough lumber ,gives me more grip and reduces splinters dramatically. And yes pipe clamps excel at higher force needed jobs.

glenn bradley
01-21-2020, 10:23 PM
Hockey tape.

Wrap them like a hockey stick for play.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjdhO2XoJbnAhWRWc0KHbcTBesQwqsBMAB6BAgKE AQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dj_ mCK7WEOuk&usg=AOvVaw2ufKLQ5gXLFXaHlRnh2Upq

Edwin Santos
01-21-2020, 10:36 PM
I got a deal on a box of thick rubber bands I use for clamping and all kinds of other general tasks. I wrapped a bunch of clamp handles with them and they grip surprisingly well.

The hockey tape looks more professional though, so if you're high class, that might be the better way to go.

Mike Kees
01-22-2020, 12:39 AM
Edwin ,you obviously have not seen my tape jobs.:D

Greg Funk
01-22-2020, 1:14 AM
It also helps to wax the threads. You’ll be able to apply significantly more pressure.

Larry Edgerton
01-22-2020, 5:07 AM
yea good insight. Thats a lot of it. Even just today the handle was difficult to get my hand on and I used the robogrips to turn in small increments. It helped and I could see the glue squeeze out of the joint.

Ok Orren, as my hands are all beat to **** and I have the same issue, and hate pipe clamps, I am going to try a couple of things today as I work in the shop. I'm thinking shaving the top 1" to the shape of a nut, picking up a six sided socket and welding a T on it so the clamps can be applied and then the T/socket slipped on if additional torque is needed. If it works I'll make you a wrench and send it to you.

Larry Edgerton
01-22-2020, 10:39 AM
Tried it this morning. Used a 1" nut as a guide, shaved the six sides on the first 1" of the handle, fine tuned with a sanding block until the 1" six point socket fit nicely without using force. I had a 3/8" short ratchet in the drawer, works perfect. This will be very helpful on entry doors when I end up with clamps close to each other, I can then use a wobble extension {SnapOn has the best] and do the deed from a distance on an off angle.

Keep in mind that just because you have the added leverage you should not use it for that, but just as a way of saving your hands. I know the knuckle on my right hand has arthritis and I really wish I had done this a long time ago, as it makes it flare up.

Now I have to figure out a router jig, have over 100 Besseys.

P.S. Thanks for the motivation Orren.:D

Brian Tymchak
01-22-2020, 11:45 AM

Don't worry about the backlash. I use a pipe wrench on occasion because my hands just don't have the strength they used to. BTW, a pipe wrench will likely lead to less "chewed" handles as the increased leverage vs pliers should reduce the slipping that chews up the handles. It shouldn't take too much effort as you don't want to press all the glue out of the joint. The combo of a grip tape and pipe wrench is probably a good solution.

Steve Jenkins
01-22-2020, 12:44 PM
If you have to use pliers or a pipe wrench put it on the metal ferell (sp) rather than the wood

Mark Bolton
01-22-2020, 1:02 PM
Im envisioning an aftermarket handle replacement that has a truck lug nut on the end so people can start using an electric impact wrench to reef down their bessy's lol. I wonder if they are publicly traded company? That handle replacement would likely equate to a lot of destroyed parallel clamps being replaced. Cha ching.

John Gornall
01-22-2020, 2:10 PM
Sometimes in a complicated glue up clamp handles are hard to grasp, handles get in each others way.

I'd like the clamp companies to put a square recess in the handle end to fit a 3/8 ratchet handle - could use extensions, universals or whatever made the job work.

Or skip the handles, put on a nut for a socket or wrench

mike stenson
01-22-2020, 2:19 PM
Sometimes in a complicated glue up clamp handles are hard to grasp, handles get in each others way.

I'd like the clamp companies to put a square recess in the handle end to fit a 3/8 ratchet handle - could use extensions, universals or whatever made the job work.

Or skip the handles, put on a nut for a socket or wrench

They'd have to make the clamps a lot stronger then.

Doug Garson
01-22-2020, 2:27 PM
I like the grip tape or hockey tape solution but if you must replace the handles why not make your own handles? Check out this video starting at the 4:45 mark. Easy to make handles without a lathe and better leverage since they are not round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TETQoyOxE If you make square handles you could also easily make a matching square "wrench" out of scrap plywood to assist in applying pressure without overstressing your hand.

Tom DiBiasio
01-22-2020, 4:17 PM
You may want to look into "YOST" HD parallel clamps, they have a hinged handle that allows you to easily apply a good amount of torque. This is a very uniquely engineered solution to answer to your challenge you are writing about. Keep an eye on Woot.com (tool and garden\hand tools) for a 2 for the price of 1 deals, this deal is currently ongoing TODAY as long as they have stock. I purchased 14 of them before Christmas and even if they are a "small bit" less rugged then my Jet clamps - I am extremely happy with them in use. Been using them for weeks now gluing up the parts of my roubo bench (hard maple) with no complaints. My Jorgy cabinet masters with the round wooden handles are now the last ones I grab when doing a glue up !!!!

Doug Dawson
01-22-2020, 4:40 PM
You may want to look into "YOST" HD parallel clamps, they have a hinged handle that allows you to easily apply a good amount of torque. This is a very uniquely engineered solution to answer to your challenge you are writing about. Keep an eye on Woot.com (tool and garden\hand tools) for a 2 for the price of 1 deals, this deal is currently ongoing TODAY as long as they have stock. I purchased 14 of them before Christmas and even if they are a "small bit" less rugged then my Jet clamps - I am extremely happy with them in use. Been using them for weeks now gluing up the parts of my roubo bench (hard maple) with no complaints. My Jorgy cabinet masters with the round wooden handles are now the last ones I grab when doing a glue up !!!!

I agree, the Yost HD parallel clamps are good, and solve this problem. They do go on sale for a great (introductory and limited-number) price on amazon every now and then. I have about 50 of them, along with my Besseys, and I usually reach for the Yosts first.

Don Peters
01-22-2020, 5:31 PM
What Glen said. Only buy the tape in black 'cause it's never going to stay white.

Don Peters
01-22-2020, 5:32 PM
I forgot: that system works wonders for coping saw handles, etc. Huge improvement.

Derek Meyer
01-22-2020, 5:57 PM
The newer Bessey parallel clamps have handles that have a hex socket on the end, so you can tighten them further with a hex wrench. You could contact Bessey and see if they would sell or send you some of the newer handles to replace yours.

John Goodin
01-22-2020, 10:41 PM
Orren, Replacement handles for the Revo style handle are available and have a rubber like grip. I have several and can get a good turn on them with limited strength due to a shattered wrists injury. I am not sure they will fit your clamps and are a bit pricey (15 dollars @ Grizzly). Cheaper prices maybe had elsewhere and Bessey has a spare parts section on their site which can give you a part number for easy searching.

John Gornall
01-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Thanks for listening Bessey - with a 6mm hex socket in the end of the handles for a hex key I'll but more clamps

les winter
01-23-2020, 6:32 AM
A further improvement: a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil at the end of the rod where it enters the casting; not the wood end, the other end. My 30 year old Besseys began to tighten like new after that treatment.

Cliff Polubinsky
01-24-2020, 11:20 AM
Orren,

Rockler has these (https://www.rockler.com/clamp-handle-grips) that fit Bessey handles. I have them on all my K bodys and they make a big difference.

Cliff

Derek Arita
01-24-2020, 8:28 PM
I feel your pain. For me, sometimes I just didn't have the strength I needed after twisting on several clamps. I found some stuff called Plastidip. You dip the handles in the can and put a plastic coating on them. I did 2 or 3 coats on mine and it works great. I tried using a slip on foam covering, but over time, they got loose. I've used the Plastidip on other handles as well, including some drivers. Hope this helps.
By the way, the more coatings you put on, the bigger the handles get and the more torque you can apply without wrenching your wrist.

johnny means
01-24-2020, 8:58 PM
$4.99 at HF.424452
https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-strap-wrench-set-2-pc-69373.html

Joe Jensen
01-24-2020, 11:35 PM
If you need to tighten that much to pull boards together you don't have flat enough boards. remember putting that much force on to pull together means the boards will push back that hard against the glue when the clamps are removed.

Lee Schierer
01-25-2020, 8:59 AM
A strap wrench will give you all the extra torque you need without damaging the grips.

Edwin Santos
01-25-2020, 9:27 AM
If you need to tighten that much to pull boards together you don't have flat enough boards. remember putting that much force on to pull together means the boards will push back that hard against the glue when the clamps are removed.

+1
I was going to say the same. I can understand hand gripping strength issues, but if we're into strap and socket wrenches, then something is not right with the preparation and using brute strength to force it is not good practice. Even cambering for sprung joint should be so subtle that a lot of power should not be necessary.

Larry Edgerton
01-25-2020, 9:51 AM
+1
I was going to say the same. I can understand hand gripping strength issues, but if we're into strap and socket wrenches, then something is not right with the preparation and using brute strength to force it is not good practice. Even cambering for sprung joint should be so subtle that a lot of power should not be necessary.

Or, you are old and have arthritis from working hard your whole life and are not looking for crazy clamping, just a way to have normal clamping without the pain, just saying........ Sometimes its good to peek inside someone else's box.

Edwin Santos
01-25-2020, 10:06 AM
Or, you are old and have arthritis from working hard your whole life and are not looking for crazy clamping, just a way to have normal clamping without the pain, just saying........ Sometimes its good to peek inside someone else's box.

Yes, I should have clarified that all the suggestions are great if they are aiding someone in operating the clamp within normal parameters, meaning the application of pressure levels traditional to woodworking.
If some of these aids are applying more or substantially more torque than that, I'm just saying it shouldn't be necessary to do so and might indicate a problem with joint preparation.

Simply put, beware of overclamping.

PC Disclaimer: Nothing here but props and respect for those suffering with arthritis, disability or age related limitations of any sort. Keep on keeping on!

John Gornall
01-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Yes, worked for 58 years, known for strength, and then in my 70's muscle mass gets less, joints stiffer and the wooden, screwdriver handles of the Bessey parallels are the worst. Besseys thrown in the corner and a pleasure to go back to pipe clamps with real handles - keep the threads oiled. And I still go to work - I like working.

Tom DiBiasio
01-25-2020, 5:22 PM
One simple and inexpense suggestion not requiring any modifications to existing clamps or purchasing new clamps( even if I think the yost clamps I wrote about are awesome) is to get a pair of the blue rubber coated gloves they sell at the big box. Make sure they are the good ones and not the super thin "orange" multi pack they sell as those have more of a plastic coating as opposed to rubber. The ones I use can be purchased at Amazon under the Atlas brand. I think you will be surprised how much additional grip these will give you on wooden handles. Granted if you are struggling with hand strength the benefits will be marginal, but short of a mechanical advantage I'm not sure anything will be the silver bullet.

Jack Frederick
01-26-2020, 10:23 AM
I haven't modified the Bessey's as suggested here. If they won't or don't sufficiently close a joint I use one the Debuque's or a pipe clamp to close the joint and then place the Bessey to hold it. I can then remove the D or PC. The Bessey's are good clamps but lack of grip on my part, not wanting to break them, etc has kept me from modifying them. The Bessey's are about the fiddliest damned things in the shop.

Carroll Courtney
01-26-2020, 12:10 PM
On wild side how bout bicycle grips

Will Blick
01-30-2020, 8:49 PM
> Simply put, beware of overclamping.

As metioned in MANY other threads, with those who do serious clamping for boats frames, etc. and as mentioned by all Titebond engineers who test this stuff every day, it is nearly impossible to overclamp hardwoods. Granted, if you have perfectly straight boards, you can potentially get away with less pressure than the Titebonds reccomendation of 200psi... math found in previous / recent thread if you are interested.

I have a 30 of the Revo clamps, they work great... and while just like the wooden K Body clamps, by hand pressure only, I can get to 700-800 psi... very surprised not much difference between the two, but with the new Revo, I keep a ratchet wrench near, with socket with 6mm Allen which fits in the rear of handle... less than a 1/4 turn, and the clamp pressure goes right to 1500psi, tested with a pressure gauge. This extra pressure allows for using half the amount of clamps for the same total pressure. I thnk everyone can agree, less clamps is helpful when glue is drying on you!

Also, I too have a lot of the HD Yost, and they are superb, simple twist of the angled handle, it easily acheives 1500 psi with no tools. Both of these clamps are the only ones I buy new today. The Besseys have the advantage of allowing them to be ganged togehter for those long glue ups such as 8ft doors, where most of us prob. wont buy clamps that long, due to minimal use, storage, etc.

I also load my KBody wooden handle clamps with tennis racquet grips, it helps a lot. I love Jims idea of building up the handle, as wider diam handle allows a much better grip. The K Body handles are way too thin. If you can replace your handles with the Revo, that is ideal. If Bessey says it will work, pls do share! I will replace mine as well...

Jim Andrew
01-30-2020, 9:07 PM
When I was younger, used to bend pipes, trying to over tighten to make joints fit. Now I try to make the joints fit before glueing. I have a bunch of jorgenson parallel clamps with wood handles, and find them difficult to tighten. Bought a few of the plastic handle later model clamps, they are easier to tighten. Sent a email to jorgenson, and they wanted more for new handles than I paid for the clamps on sale. Menards has the same handles on their F clamps. I have wrapped some rubber stuff on the handles the wife got at Walmart to make the handles work better for me, but the tape comes loose and the rubber comes off occasionally.

Will Blick
01-30-2020, 9:34 PM
Jim, this happens a lot. ONe part costs more than the entire product, thats frustrating.
I too try to get my joints to fit... but not always successful...
Its amazing how fast freshly cut or jointed wood MOVES.... drives me nuts.
It really pays, if possible to, joint, cut, and glue up quickly..... for panels of course.
many joints, like box, dove tails can use strong rubber band pressure ;) or a single clamp not fully tightened... different joint vs. a long panel glue up where u are trying to conceal joints.

Bill McNiel
01-30-2020, 10:00 PM
FWIW-Rocklear sells black foam handle covers that slip right on Bessey clamps. Don't attach them with glue as they become pretty stiff.

Tom Bender
02-07-2020, 5:44 AM
For dry hands make a fist and blow thru it to moisten palms, about doubles your grip.

Hockey stick tape is ugly but works well.