PDA

View Full Version : Hey John!

Carole Valentine
12-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Have you torched yourself yet?:D:D:D:D I want to know how the burning experiment went!

Chris Barton
12-21-2005, 7:28 AM
I just found this minicam feed from just outside John's workshop...

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051212/capt.nyye11012121847.ye_iraq_nyye110.jpg?x=300&y=345&sig=3UIo0eK4FjusrFDiFH8mow--

John Hart
12-21-2005, 7:38 AM
Thanks Chris! We're cleaning up the mess this morning. Gonna hafta try Halon for fire supression I think.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Nope...didnt get to it Carole! I am on a Flat Project right now (Mahogany Pool Cue Rack) and it's taking longer than I anticipated and it is due tomorrow!!! Sheesh! I got accustomed to short term projects I guess.:o Ernie Nyvall gave me some suggestions on how to make the torch thing work though. I might not get to try it for another couple of days. I also thought that I should try it out on a scrap piece of maple first....I have literally a ton of wood that I can experiment on. I am just dying to try this. Carole....You are an inspiration!!!!!

Chris Barton
12-21-2005, 8:01 AM
Thanks Chris! We're cleaning up the mess this morning. Gonna hafta try Halon for fire supression I think.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Nope...didnt get to it Carole! I am on a Flat Project right now (Mahogany Pool Cue Rack) and it's taking longer than I anticipated and it is due tomorrow!!! Sheesh! I got accustomed to short term projects I guess.:o Ernie Nyvall gave me some suggestions on how to make the torch thing work though. I might not get to try it for another couple of days. I also thought that I should try it out on a scrap piece of maple first....I have literally a ton of wood that I can experiment on. I am just dying to try this. Carole....You are an inspiration!!!!!

Great, suggestions from Ernie "the flame" Nyvall? Next you will be telling us about the formula you got from the Andy "the big torch" Hoyt and the special equipment to mix it from Jim "mushroom cloud" Ketron... :D

Andy Hoyt
12-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey! I got a new name to suggest for this forum.

WMD

Woodturners of Mass Destruction

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2005, 3:50 PM
Andy that is a good one!!!!!!!!:D :D

Ernie Nyvall
12-21-2005, 11:32 PM
If it doesn't work, I didn't say a thing. Course if it does, it'll be a super secret torching process.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Dad gummit! You folks really got to stop turning those exotics! Now you are really taking this "flaming" each other to a new dimension!:rolleyes:

John Hart
12-22-2005, 3:41 AM
Hey...Now that Ken is being grabbed by the vortex and secretly planning his lathe purchase, we should do all our torch experiments in his new shop!!! :) :) He just got his garage door unstuck, so it should be pretty safe.;) :p I've been dying for an excuse to get back into those mountains up there!!!:)

Keith Burns
12-22-2005, 7:58 AM
BURN BABY BURN

John Hart
12-26-2005, 7:46 AM
Last night, I cut an endgrain slab off of a 6X6 piece of Maple firewood and sanded it to a fine finish. Then I cut a 1/16" thin slab of green Beech to use for my stencil. I drew a little butterfly and scrolled it out, putting some detail in there so I could test the torch's ability to get into some some smaller areas. I put it on the maple, held it down with a pencil and torched it.
Funny how wood will burn when you put an 1100 degree flame to it.:eek:

The Beech stencil and the pencil burst into flames almost immediately...leaving a yellow residue and a pile of charcoal on my test maple. I might have to rethink this.:D