PDA

View Full Version : Jet JSG-6DC, 6" x 48" Belt / 12" Disc Sander Adjustment

Dick Strauss
01-20-2020, 2:52 PM
I own a Relaint DD612 clone of this Jet combination sander that is kept in an unheated garage workshop. I got this sander in a package deal from a friend with an 80 grit AlOx belt. This unit (like the Jet) has a tensioning lever to release tension for belt changes. It also has two locking "thumbscrews" to adjust the upper roller left/right to prevent belt drift. I have followed the brief directions in the Jet manual but am wondering if I've got a bad belt. The belt seems to drift either way from time to time. I would like to set it up once per belt but this thing seems to have a mind of its own. The current belt has no directional arrows so I don't know if I've got it going the right way but assume it is bi-directional.

Are there any tricks to adjusting the belt tension on these types of sanders?

I use this combination sander for flattening small surfaces and a little shaping use but not very often. The wood can vary all over the map from softwoods (SPF) to tropical hardwoods. I would prefer longevity over surface finish for most things. What would you suggest in terms of replacement 6x48 belts (brands, grits # and type, coating, etc.)?

Is there a rule of thumb about belt direction when there are no arrows? Is the printing on back supposed to move left to right or right to left or are they bi-directional?