PDA

View Full Version : Is this a toy?

Dale Dumond
01-19-2020, 10:51 AM
My sister gave me this last week. I remember as a child it sat on a shelf with other small collectible items. Possibly belonged to my great grandpa as he as a carpenter/cabinet maker. I don't see any markings on it. I do remember a line of toys back in the 50's that i think were called Handy Andy but not sure this type item was in it.

johnny means
01-19-2020, 11:24 AM
That's a thumb plane. It's an actual tool.

johnny means
01-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Actually, it's too large to qualify as a thumb plane.

David Bassett
01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
The photo is fuzzy, but it reminded me of the "Little Victor" replica LV makes. Comparing them I see the details are different, but the history in the product description might be interesting.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/block/56665-little-victor-plane

Tony Joyce
01-19-2020, 12:40 PM
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num101

keith wootton
01-19-2020, 12:42 PM
looks like an early stanley #101

Jim Becker
01-19-2020, 5:04 PM
"Size doesn't matter"...and yes, that appears to be a very usable tool. Miniature planes are pretty kewel...Lee Valley has a whole line of them of which I own a few. they can be very useful for a lot of interesting situations, too, even on larger projects. Clean that thing up, adjust it and sharpen the blade and you'll have a nice addition to your shop.

Frederick Skelly
01-19-2020, 5:35 PM
Yes, it's a real tool and one of those things is what got me into hand tools. Here's the long story, just for the fun of telling it.....

A few years ago, I bought a delta contractor saw from a guy that was closing his cabinet shop. About the only thing left for sale was a large box of woodworking magazines, which I bought for another $20. A couple weeks later, I was cataloguing those magazines and found one of those little planes in the bottom of that magazine box. I said "huh", threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Well, a couple years later I was repurposing a tool stand into a (not fancy) router table. I wanted some cheap, fast drawers so I screwed together 2 drawer boxes and simply glued a bottom on each. Turned out the bottoms were just a wee bit too wide to fit in their places. Somehow, I remembered I had that little itty bitty plane. I got it out and used it to quickly shave those bottoms to a "good enough" fit.

That was my first introduction to hand tools - that little "toy" plane let me do something easier and faster than my electric sander or other tools would have. (It required no set up, no jigs, etc.) So I began reading and asking lots of questions on our "Neanderthal" forum and learned that is often the case. Then I started buying and using hand tools and it's been a slippery slope ever since. I still have and use my tailed tools, but hand tools defintely have their place in my shop.

I am a hobbyist, so YMMV.
Fred

Rob Luter
01-19-2020, 5:42 PM
I’ve had a couple of those. I sold them. Nuff said.

John Lanciani
01-19-2020, 7:04 PM
I’ve had a couple of those. I sold them. Nuff said.

I have a couple of different minis like this and I wouldn’t part with them, Nuff said.

Patrick Walsh
01-19-2020, 7:41 PM
Same.

I also have a couple minis. Baring the bronze #4 smother they are some of my favorite.

I tend. Use hand tos for fettling though and machines for the grunt work.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2020, 8:30 PM
I have one of those and I use it frequently to break sharp corners just a bit. It is a pretty neat little tool. Like most planes it works much better with a properly sharpened iron. Mine came from a Handy Andy woodworking tool set my parents bought me when I was about 6 years old.

Doug Dawson
01-19-2020, 8:39 PM
I have one of those and I use it frequently to break sharp corners just a bit. It is a pretty neat little tool. Like most planes it works much better with a properly sharpened iron. Mine came from a Handy Andy woodworking tool set my parents bought me when I was about 6 years old.

That was my first hand plane, I got it when I was 5 years old. I still have it. Do I still use it? Not for a while. My hands are bigger now. :^) Rose bud....

Patrick Walsh
01-19-2020, 8:50 PM
I’m just not grown up enough to let the Handy Andy thing go without st least a lol..

I know I’m juvenile..

Lee Schierer
01-19-2020, 8:58 PM
I’m just not grown up enough to let the Handy Andy thing go without st least a lol..

I know I’m juvenile..

I made a lot of stilts, box traps and birdhouses with my Handy Andy tools.

Doug Dawson
01-19-2020, 9:32 PM
I made a lot of stilts, box traps and birdhouses with my Handy Andy tools.

If my parents had also bought me decent sharpening stones, I might have used this plane for more than shaping balsa model airplane parts. :^) That would have to wait a few years, and upping my allowance.