PDA

View Full Version : Turning funnels

bob pfohler
01-18-2020, 3:11 PM
Today I was teaching my son how to use a bowl gouge on a piece of apple we cut down behind our house. Our small bowl turned into a funnel.

Paul Williams
01-18-2020, 4:01 PM
It has happened to all of us. turn a round hole and fill with a disk if your son likes the bowl, or the wood has special meaning to him.

John K Jordan
01-18-2020, 4:04 PM
Today I was teaching my son how to use a bowl gouge on a piece of apple we cut down behind our house. Our small bowl turned into a funnel.

Wow, you're the first person in the history of woodturning to do that. Or not.

Now you can do what I saw a demonstrator do at TAW one year. Can't remember, it might have been Glen Lucas who went through the bottom then signed it Mike Mahoney.

JKJ

David C. Roseman
01-19-2020, 3:56 PM
It has happened to all of us. turn a round hole and fill with a disk if your son likes the bowl, or the wood has special meaning to him.

Yes, and that will also make for another teachable moment: How a disheartening setback can be turned into a fine design opportunity. :)

What is really exciting is when this happens with a bowl that's being held in a vacuum chuck at high vacuum. After the "KAPOW!", there usually isn't much left of the piece to salvage. Or so I've heard. This of course has never happened to me. ;)

Eugene Dixon
01-19-2020, 8:23 PM
Wow, you're the first person in the history of woodturning to do that. Or not.

Now you can do what I saw a demonstrator do at TAW one year. Can't remember, it might have been Glen Lucas who went through the bottom then signed it Mike Mahoney.

JKJ

LOL. See you in Franklin later this week?

John K Jordan
01-19-2020, 10:22 PM
LOL. See you in Franklin later this week?

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend this year. I'm SO far behind on farm projects, clearing and burning brush, homework (remodeling), and equipment maintenance. I've seen all of this year's demonstrators several times but I'm REALLY gonna miss seeing all the real people!.

Wes Mitchell
01-20-2020, 3:01 PM
When I posted a similar photo on Reddit I was told I made the inside bigger than the outside.

Jeffrey J Smith
01-20-2020, 11:17 PM
search youtube for Reed Gray’s “finding the bottom of a bowl“ for a very simple way to determine how thick your bottom is while its still in the chuck...worth a few minutes. I took it a little further with a block that indexes to the end of a plate on the bed and allows a measure of the thickness and uses my existing depth stick.
Also - the large veritas (I think) bowl calipers will measure bottom thickness from the tenon. Works well for me, and I use them most of the time.