PDA

View Full Version : Where did you get your vacuum bag?

Matt Meiser
12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
These things seem pretty pricey for a big plastic bag. I'm leaning towards buying a premade one instead of hunting down the cement, vinyl, etc, but wondering if its worth the time savings? I'm thinking of getting a 4' x 4' or 4' x 6' bag so that I only have to buy one.

Jack Hogoboom
12-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Got mine from Joe Woodworker.

Jack

Troy Wilkins
12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I made a 4x8 bag for around $30. If you go to the fabric section of Walmart they sell 54" heavy gauge vinyl for around $3 a yard. I bought the cement from Joewoodworker and have enough left over that I could make another bag. I bought a valve stem from the local tire shop for $2. I took 30-45 minutes to get the bag glued up. So far it works great and the price/time involved were low enough that I would do it all over again.

Earl Kelly
12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Matt, if you want to purchase a long lasting durable bag, get a 30 mil Poly bag from Vacuum Pressing Systems. My 4x8 bag is over 10 yrs old, has a couple of patches on it but it works great. The 30 mil Poly is a lot stronger and more flexible when cold than vinyl ever could be.

Cecil Arnold
12-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Matt, I went with JWW. It was a cost think.

Steve Wargo
12-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Made a couple myself. Then bought one from Vacuum Pressing Systems (in Maine I think). Now I wonder why I ever made my own. I'ne is about 3 years old and has seen tons of use. Still works great and only has one patch (don't ask). I'll second them as a good vendor.

Richard Wolf
12-20-2005, 11:55 PM
My vote also goes to vacuum pressing systems. I use the bags for curved staircases and railings. They work great and the service is great also. Buy your glue from them also, unibond 800.

Richard

Dave Avery
12-21-2005, 8:55 AM
VPS........ www.vacupress.com

tod evans
12-21-2005, 8:58 AM
guess i`m the oddball? i use qualityvac. poly,no vinyl here. tod
http://www.qualityvak.com/

Alan Tolchinsky
12-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Matt, I made mine using Joe Woodworker instructions and vinyl from them. It was very easy to glue together and very durable. I'll bet the cost was a fraction of ready made. Alan

Matt Meiser
12-21-2005, 7:37 PM
I made a 4x8 bag for around $30. If you go to the fabric section of Walmart they sell 54" heavy gauge vinyl for around $3 a yard.

OK, you changed my mind. Went to Walmart and got the vinyl today. Anyone have any ideas on the type of store that might carry the cement locally?

Jamie Buxton
12-21-2005, 8:09 PM
OK, you changed my mind. Went to Walmart and got the vinyl today. Anyone have any ideas on the type of store that might carry the cement locally?

A place which sells stuff for repairing vinyl. Auto -- for repairing vinyl seats and dashboards. Sports -- for repairing vinyl wading pools and the like. Builders' store with a rack of glues. Hobby shop -- they have plastic glues.

Troy Wilkins
12-21-2005, 9:18 PM
I didn't have much luck finding suitable vinyl cement in my area. The only cement that I found was in the small squeeze tubes and used for repairing float tubes. It would have taken several of the tubes and cost a lot. I live in a small town and my options were limited. I ended up buying the HH-66 cement from joewoodworker and found it to be excellent.

Jim DeLaney
12-21-2005, 9:35 PM
I used 25 mil (0.025") vinyl from Hancock Fabrics, and the cement from Joe Woodworker. Total cost for a 54" X 54" bag was about $15.00. I already had a couple tire valves in my junk drawer.

Joe Woodworker has the instructions for making the bag on his website, if you need them.

Jim Tobias
12-22-2005, 2:35 AM
Another vote for Vacupress.com. Have had my 2 bags for a couple of years -no holes, no problems.

Jim