PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium decor?

johnny means
01-17-2020, 12:16 AM
Anyone ever made aquarium fixtures for submersion?

Erik Loza
01-17-2020, 8:14 AM
Anyone ever made aquarium fixtures for submersion?

Many times: What do you want to know? (pic of current project for attention)

Erik

johnny means
01-17-2020, 9:44 AM
I guess most importantly is the question of materials. Obviously, buoyancy or lack there of is an issue. Do I need to worry about the wood, fasteners or adhesives being detrimental to the environment?

Erik Loza
01-17-2020, 10:37 AM
I guess most importantly is the question of materials. Obviously, buoyancy or lack there of is an issue. Do I need to worry about the wood, fasteners or adhesives being detrimental to the environment?

I glue the rocks/branches/etc. in place with polyurethane waterfall building foam. It's basically a dark version of window foam (which people also use for this type of thing). You can buy it Lowe's, HD, etc. There is a whole hobby around building these types of structures with p/u foam. Google "window foam vivarium" and grab a cup of coffee.

Erik

Zachary Hoyt
01-17-2020, 11:53 AM
When your custom woodworking clients are fish it adds an extra layer of complexity to the communication dynamic, I would imagine. I haven't tried myself but it sounds interesting.
Zach

johnny means
01-17-2020, 10:27 PM
I glue the rocks/branches/etc. in place with polyurethane waterfall building foam. It's basically a dark version of window foam (which people also use for this type of thing). You can buy it Lowe's, HD, etc. There is a whole hobby around building these types of structures with p/u foam. Google "window foam vivarium" and grab a cup of coffee.

Erik

Thx. Seems like an excellent way to beg away a Friday night

Alan Lightstone
01-18-2020, 8:28 AM
Keep in mind ease of cleaning the aquarium when you are doing this. I know whereof I speak on this, having dealt with a 5' tall, 1000 gal aquarium in my den for 20 plus years.

I took the fiberglass route for decorations, but as Erik said, material and buoyancy are important. Try to avoid crevices that can't be easily accessed from above, or they'll basically permanently be dirty / filled with algae, etc...

And, of course, the golden rule is that any aquarium taller than your reach becomes exponentially more difficult to clean:

Erik Loza
01-18-2020, 10:01 AM
Alan, that is one awesome aquarium!

Erik

Bruce Page
01-18-2020, 12:24 PM
Alan, that is one awesome aquarium!

Erik

Second that!
Alan brings up a very good point about maintenance. A thorough cleaning of my small (by comparison) 110gal is almost an all day affair.

Alan Lightstone
01-18-2020, 2:27 PM
Yeah, build a 6 ton aquarium, and incidentally built a house around it. And you haven’t lived until you do a 300 gal water change.

Always think of maintenance first. Really matters a lot.