PDA

View Full Version : Hi! New here, question about where to source wood in Atlanta

michael busby
01-16-2020, 4:59 PM
Hi all, this is my first post. I was hoping some of the members here from the Atlanta area could maybe tell me where they get their wood, hopefully on the south side. The only places I am familiar with are Home Depot/Lowes, and Carlton's downtown. I am going to be building some guitars, and some cabinetry. Carlton's is the best for the exotic and nicely figured stuff for my guitars, but I want something better, both price and quality, for the cabinetry than the big box stores offer. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I know there's a thread here that's very similar, but it's almost 12 years old, I'm sure there's better info out there than that now.

Thanks!

Ken Krawford
01-16-2020, 5:57 PM
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum. I buy all my lumber from Suwanee Lumber Company. They’re located just off I-85 N. and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd. They carry a decent selection of lumber and sheet goods and offer a 10% for orders over 100 bf. They’re also open on Saturday from 8:00 - 1:00. It’s a bit of a drive from the south side, especially in Atlanta traffic. I’ve also used Atlanta Hardwoods in Mableton a few times but Suwanee Lumber is much closer to me.

michael busby
01-16-2020, 9:38 PM
Thanks! Yes, that is a little far, but I’d still like to check it out sometime.

Steve Eure
01-17-2020, 6:28 AM
Just south of Atlanta in Concord, Ga., is a little wood store called "The Wood Yard". They have a great selection, very knowledgeable and a great bunch to deal with.
https://www.thewoodyard.com/

Then there is Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw that is nice.
https://www.peachstatelumber.com/index.html

Robert Hazelwood
01-17-2020, 8:16 AM
I like Suwanee Lumber and Peach State. Both are open on Saturday mornings.

Joe Hendershott
01-17-2020, 8:23 AM
I also like Suwanee for most things. Sometimes the quality on the racks isn't great but usually I'm getting less than 100 bf of each so picking thru can get want you want. They will also mill what you want if you give a days notice. Delivery is pretty cheap if you need a whole lot of something as well. I get the highest % discount so it's worth it for me to go there. 8/4 cherry at $4.20, for example, is good.