PDA

View Full Version : Rocking Chair, Shop Tour, And New Tool Gloat All Rolled Into One.

Pete Lamberty
12-20-2005, 8:55 PM
Here's my second attempt at making the rocking chair that I designed. It's still not right but I think its looking pretty good. It's looks are an improvement over the first one. I think I made some nice refinements. The first one can be seen at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7819&highlight=rocking+chair
This one is getting close to being finished. It is made out of cherry. The problem with it is that it doesn't sit well. I was trying to go with Sam Maloofs measurements but I goofed somewhere along the line :o . It just doesn't feel good to sit in. Does anyone know what the measurements of a rocker should be? Maybe the next one will turn out right. :)
The next photos are of my shop. It is in the basement and my work space is about 10' x 7'. You can see my Jet bandsaw, my Inca jointer/planer, and my 1950s era Sears Craftsman table saw. All second hand tools but they work pretty good. It gets a little tight when working on the chair, but I seem to make do.
In one of the photos you can see the new Rigid sander that I bought (it is on top of the table saw). It's really a big improvement over the old Sears sander that died on me.
Thanks for looking. Feel free to critique my work. Pete

Pete Lamberty
12-20-2005, 8:58 PM
What do I need to do to increase picture size after you click on the thumbnail? Or is it to late. Thanks Pete

Christian Aufreiter
12-21-2005, 3:05 AM
Hi Pete,

the chair looks great.
Larger pics would be even nicer though.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Christian

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-21-2005, 3:38 AM
I made a few that 'just didn't sit right' also. Unfortunately, that's a big problem in a chair. :eek: :o

KC

Vaughn McMillan
12-21-2005, 4:11 AM
Pete, it's a shame the chair doesn't sit right for you, because the lines are very nice. I like the refinements over the previous rocker, and the look flows nicely to my eye.

Regarding the pictures, you can click the Edit button at the bottom of your post, then click Go Advanced to get to the Manage Attachments button. (You might have to scroll down to see the button.) There, you should see a list of the pictures you have in place. From there you can delete any you want and replace them with bigger versions of the picture. (This is assuming you have bigger versions available.) As long as they're within the size allowed -- about 107 KB is the limit -- you should be able to upload new pics.

- Vaughn

tod evans
12-21-2005, 6:39 AM
nice work pete! looks like you have everything you need to produce first class work. try to not rely on to many measurements and angles do a mock-up out of plywood and go with what feels right to you. if you`re working for a client have them spend time in the mock-up. a chair that sits well for an 85# 90yo woman isn`t going to be comfortable for a 25yo football player:) remember you`re doing custom work and the beauty is each piece is done for a specific person......02, tod

John Renzetti
12-21-2005, 6:42 AM
Hi Pete, Great work on the chair. Very nice shop.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow...kewel chair. I'd love to sit in that and give it a "test rock"!! :) Nice gloats, too....

Mike Swindell
12-21-2005, 7:23 PM
Here's a link form Gary Weeks siite for basic dimensions:
http://www.garyweeks.com/rocking_chair_dimensions.htm

I have to agree with the other critiques, you really need arms so a person can both lower himself and have something to grab on to when they get up.

Unless the pics are really taken from from from an odd angle the seat looks very low compared to a normal chair. The design is nice, just need some refinement.