PDA

View Full Version : Question About Playing With Photos

Bill Stevener
12-20-2005, 8:51 PM
Hi Gang,

I am quite familiar with 35mm photography, however, only some what adapted to the digital world we live in today. In my magic box I have a photo program that came with it--eh, ok. I down loaded the one from Google, that's pretty good, well to me anyway.

I was wondering, some of you talk about this "photoshop program. I did a little looking around and the prices are up in the 400 to 500 $ range. Is this the program some of you folks use? Do I need this high price version? Is it worth it? Or are there more gizmos than one would really use? I would like to upgrade from what I have now, which is literally nothing. I see some as downloads, however no instructions, no nothing, I don't think they are worth it, at $60.- ???

Lets talk about it some, after all, if you don't have photos on SMC, your out of luck. I would just like to have a better program than I have now.

Thanks for your input and help.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Loy Hawes
12-20-2005, 9:46 PM
What do you want to do with your photos?

Loy Hawes
12-20-2005, 9:49 PM
Adobe makes a program called Elements that has a lot of the same features as photoshop but without the big price tag. You can find version 2.0 on ebay for around $20.

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-20-2005, 9:54 PM
Hi Bill.
photo editing can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, I have adobe photoshop it works well but my favorite is photosuite 3 . I bought the new version of photosuite but its not as good any more, to much fluff and not enough stuff. try going to some of the web sites of the mojor players you are looking at ,down load their trial usually 30 days for free then pick the one that works for what you want..
http://www.download.com/Design-Photo/2001-2016_4-0.html?tag=dir

this a link for cnet its a download site ,adobe and several others are listed.

good luck.

John Hart
12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Personally Bill, I use Photoshop to goof around with pictures by using the airbrush features. To me, that's the funnest part. But as Loy says, Elements can provide you a wealth of tools that will allow you to alter or enhance in most (if not all) of the ways that you are interested in. Most of the fun stuff that you see is done with cut and paste...then a little airbrushing using a color palate. It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it. And like most things....time....practice..patience...and enjoyment come into play.

Gary DeWitt
12-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Depends on how much control you need.
To just rotate (hint hint) pics, adjust overall color and contrast, you can do all that free. Try Picasa, free from Google. Catalogs you're whole hard drive and lets you do minor fixes, as well as resolution changes for web such as email. Give it a try and let us know what you think.:)

Raymond Overman
12-20-2005, 10:29 PM
GIMP is quite popular with the Linux crowd for photo editing and they have a version for Windows users now. Another alternative is Paintshop Pro.

I've used both alternatives but still prefer Photoshop when it comes to truly editing a picture. Partially because of my experience with the program and familiarity with the tools though.

Bill Stevener
12-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Gary, I have the one from Google, and it seems ok, It could be me but I can't find a cut and past on it. It has the col lodge? feature, how do you do the cut and past? But then you can't do the clean up or air brush thing.??

Loy Hawes
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Bill, here is a download to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Trial

Elements Trial (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements.shtml)

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 11:37 PM
I have been using Photoshop for years for photographic restorations, but most people would use very few of it's advanced features. I would recommend Paint Shop Pro. It is reasonably priced and full featured. I saw it on slae for $99. (normally $129)

Andy Hoyt
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
My daughter used Gimp for along time and loved it. Then she acquired a drawing tablet that connects to the PC and that came with a free copy of Adobe's Photo shop LE (a watered down version of the original). She can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with it. I look at it and run since I have no interest in suffering through the learning curve.

I use the software that came with my Canon camera. It's called Arc Soft Photostudio. It does everything I think I'd ever need and then some. I'll wager a guess that most cameras come with something that might just fit the bill, Bill; so take a look at that pile of stuff that came with your camera.

Squizzy Taylor
12-21-2005, 4:20 AM
Whatever you do don't get photoshop cs 9 and learn how to use it because it will leave you no time for any woodwork
However if you do get any of the Adobe photoshop programs there are plenty of books ( for dummies , In easy steps etc ) that will give you a better user friendly guide on how to use the program , these run at about $25 aussie dollars and are US magazines so should be cheeper over there

Once you start to use and see how easy it is to use a good photo program you will never go back

Rgds

Squizzy

Lee DeRaud
12-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Bill, here is a download to Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 TrialNo real need to actually ever pay for it: Elements comes bundled free with every scanner, printer, digital camera, graphics tablet, CD/DVD drive, or potato peeler sold in the civilized world.

Hmmm...wonder what that CD was in the bottom of the box my pin nailer came in...

John Hart
12-21-2005, 10:59 AM
No real need to actually ever pay for it: Elements comes bundled free with every scanner, printer, digital camera, graphics tablet, CD/DVD drive, or potato peeler sold in the civilized world.

Hmmm...wonder what that CD was in the bottom of the box my pin nailer came in...

I thought Lee was kidding so I had to check it out.. Sorry for doubting you Lee!

Scott Loven
12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
This is a free one that a lot of people use, very easy!

http://www.irfanview.com/
Scott

Brian Austin
12-21-2005, 11:24 AM
As mentioned, Photoshop Elements 4.0 is the "light" version of PhotoShop CS2, the current version of Photoshop. I use PE extensively for my photo editing. I also love the Organizer application for cataloging my photos (over 15,000 at last count), including offline stuff like DVD archives.

One advantage of going the PE route is the extensive third party support for it. Magazines and books often cover specific PE techniques. Many of the Photoshop techniques can be adapted to PE as well.

I don't really have a need for the $$ version of Photoshop at the moment. Possibly later as I get more into this but for now, PE is perfect for me. Retail boxed version is $99 but you can download it directly from Adobe for $89 when I last checked.

Raymond Overman
12-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I thought Lee was kidding so I had to check it out.. Sorry for doubting you Lee!

Obviously a Photoshop Chop. Good form John! Very funny. Since this has moved to OT I'll add the link for Photoshop User's Mecca so you can see what can be done with the program.

http://www.worth1000.com

Glenn Clabo
12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Bill,
I have and use Photoshop CS...but I don't think you or most people need it. It's kind of like shop tools...sometimes you just don't need that really expensive tool to build that nice little table you want to give away. Even Elements is more than most would use...but that is what I recommend to most who ask me.

So here's a test for you. If theres anything on the list below you absolutely need...you need PhotoShop CS and should be glad to pay the price. Otherwise go for Elements and you'll be more than happy.

What Elements doesn't have...

CMYK and LAB color modes
More tools and features that work with high-bit (16-bit and 32-bit) images
Combine multiple exposures to create high dynamic range (HDR) images
Channels Palette
Recording custom Actions (for batch processing)
Adjustments: Curves, Color Balance, Match Color
Layer Masks, Layer Comps, and Quick Mask mode
Smart Objects, Smart Guides
Lens Blur Filter, Smart Sharpen Filter, Lens Correction Filter
Vanishing Point Tool
Pen tool and paths palette
Some adjustment layers (curves, color balance, selective color, channel mixer)
Editing History Log
Text on a path, advanced text formatting
Advanced Layer Style manipulation
Advanced Color Management
Advanced Web features and ImageReady (rollovers, slicing)
Customizable tool presets, keyboard shortcuts, and menus

Jim Becker
12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 for photo editing (and their Premier Elements 2 for video editing...available as a combo package for a good price). Amazon usually has a good cost, but also check NewEgg.

Bill Stevener
12-22-2005, 9:39 PM
Hi Gang,

I would like to thank everyone for the great info. and all of the suggestions.

I took it all in and found a great place to obtain one of each of what was commented on, as well as a number of other programs. I have a full house now and will be looking at them all for some time. The ones I like will stay, and for the ones I don't -- well zipo----

It's unbelievable as to just what's available on the net if you poke around, just apply some time and hit the keys and bingo, it's in your magic box.

Thanks again to all.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Vaughn McMillan
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Bill, I see the problem...you're holding the dad-gum camera upside down. There. Problem handled. ;)

No real need to actually ever pay for it: Elements comes bundled free with every scanner, printer, digital camera, graphics tablet, CD/DVD drive, or potato peeler sold in the civilized world.

Lee, I've not seen free PS Elements with the last three all-in-one printers I've bought, nor was it with my camera a couple of years ago. At work I use a very old version of Photoshop LE (which did come free years ago with Pagemaker V4 or V5), and at home I use a current version of Photoshop Elements, that I bought in a package deal with Adobe Premier Elements.

Bill, I'll second the vote for Irfanview for simple graphic resizing and file format conversion. I use it daily, both at work and at home. If you want to do other touch-up work though, you'll need something else, but there are a lot of good solutions listed here that are less costly than the full-blown Photoshop product.

- Vaughn

Tim Morton
12-23-2005, 7:13 PM
I use CS2( adobe creative suite) every day in my real life....what would I buy it if I was just messing around with personal pictures. I think I would find a way to get PS. You can buy a version on ebay for 30 bucks or so and theb use that as an upgrade path for another $169 i believe...check for deals. But if not PS elements is pretty decent in its own right...just not quite as inovative at least for me....and if you can print from RGB then you are probably fine.

Jim Becker
12-23-2005, 7:16 PM
Bill, if you are not aware for some reason, once you open purchased software...it's yours. The good news is that many of the programs have downloadable "try it" arrangements...I'm hoping that's what you were referring to.

Bill Stevener
12-24-2005, 2:12 PM

Hi Lee,

Hate to put a big squash on The Elements program ie. comes with everything. I just purchased a new Kodak dig. camera, high end, all it comes with are Kodak photo programs. The camera is great, it does more than one would ever expect and more. However the program is much to be desired, and I removed it from my computer, just use the docking station feature for transfer.
Guess I will have to go and buy a pin nailer :confused:

I did find a Elements program, and now playing with it.

Thanks Bill..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Brian Austin
12-24-2005, 3:38 PM
Hi Lee,

Hate to put a big squash on The Elements program ie. comes with everything.
I had PE in both my Canon EOS 20D and my Epson RX500 all-in-one printer. Both versions were 2.0. I've kept up to date with upgrades (now at 4.0).

Every once in a while, Adobe comes out with a upgrade program for Elements users to jump to CS2. I'm waiting for the next one. :D