PDA

View Full Version : Small Garage Dust Collection on a <1000$ budget

PHILIP MACHIN
01-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Good Morning all!

I'm a new woodworker, I've posted a few times now and you guys have been a tremendous amount of help so far. I appreciate all the advice.

My work area is about half of a 24 x 24 2 car garage. I've already seen from the few projects I've completed that dust control is a problem. My lungs were actually a little irritated after my last project. So since then I have purchased a respirator that I wear, unfortunately I have a huge beard that I'm not that willing to shave off so it doesn't have the best seal in the world. I also got a HEPA filter for my shop vac and started using it more with the tools that have ports, but it clogs up quite fast. I also set up a box fan to exhaust out the garage door.

So, I am interested in looking into improving my situation. I came across this blog https://www.danpattison.com/blog/2016/11/29/small-shop-dust-collection-solutions that seems to have a very economical and effective solution, and I wanted to get your opinions of it. The price is right, and he seems to operate in a similar sized shop. If you have any cheaper recommendations for similar equipment that'll get the job done, that is appreciated as well.

Dust collection seems to be a passionate topic for a lot of folks here, and I can appreciate that some people have the room/money to buy giant dedicated systems. I am trying to keep this less than 1,000$ though and I don't have the means to expand beyond my small shop at this time.

Thanks!

Phil

Prashun Patel
01-15-2020, 11:32 AM
I have a super dust deputy and a regular one for the shop vac. I like them both. They work as advertised.

If you can, vent the output of your blower outside; this will eliminate the need for a filter.

ChrisA Edwards
01-15-2020, 8:18 PM
My system probably falls within your budget. I have a 30' x 30' x 10' shop. All my ducting is down 30' of one wall and about 15' of the back wall. This is all 5".
I have a Jet 708659k DC-1100VX-CK ($749), which I converted into a two stage with an Oneida Supy Dust Deputy XL and a 55 gallon drum.

I use this with my SawStop Table saw, Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer, 19" Drum Sander, Belt Sander, Bandsaw and router tables. I have a couple of the iVac switches, which turn the DC On and Off when I use one of the power tools. Most of my power tools have 4" dust ports whit the exception of the two Hammer machines which have 5" ports. I connect all of these with 4" flex hose.

I research more expensive/powerful systems, but the lack of saw dust left after cutting operations, makes me wonder what extra capacity I actually need.

It works very well and keeps my working area clean.

Hope this helps.

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Jet%20Dust%20Collector/JetDC1100_1_zpsdajmcscs.jpg

Bruno Jean
01-15-2020, 8:28 PM
Oneida mini gorilla is good for medium size tools (3 to 5 inch dust ports).

If you can capture the dust at the source, your air will be HEPA clean.

Stan Calow
01-15-2020, 8:42 PM
Dust deputy, and keep the door open with a box fan when you can.

Joe Hendershott
01-16-2020, 8:00 AM
My system probably falls within your budget. I have a 30' x 30' x 10' shop. All my ducting is down 30' of one wall and about 15' of the back wall. This is all 5".
I have a Jet 708659k DC-1100VX-CK ($749), which I converted into a two stage with an Oneida Supy Dust Deputy XL and a 55 gallon drum.

I use this with my SawStop Table saw, Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer, 19" Drum Sander, Belt Sander, Bandsaw and router tables. I have a couple of the iVac switches, which turn the DC On and Off when I use one of the power tools. Most of my power tools have 4" dust ports whit the exception of the two Hammer machines which have 5" ports. I connect all of these with 4" flex hose.

I have this DC (with the metal top) and am using it with similar tools and it does just fine as stated. I use a Festool extractor with the hand held tools and between the 2 have almost no dust.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-16-2020, 8:04 AM
I just got done reading Bill Pentz’s website and He’s just about scared me out of wanting to do woodworking.

Robert Engel
01-16-2020, 9:15 AM
Philip,

You need to tell us what machines you have so we can give you the best advise.

Your budget is going to limit you quite a bit, used DC units can be found for very reasonable prices.

Bag filters need to be replaced with canisters.

An air filtration unit as well as an exhaust fan are also good to have.

ChrisA Edwards
01-16-2020, 10:11 AM
I just got done reading Bill Pentz’s website and He’s just about scared me out of wanting to do woodworking.

A lot of folk use the Dylos air meter and find, with DC use and a filter unit, the air in their shop is cleaner than outside.

I also have a Jet 1000CFM ($399) air filtration unit mounted on my ceiling which gets turned on occasionally, depending upon what I'm doing.

For hand routing, sanding and dowel or domino cutting, most of those tools allow me to connect to a small vacuum and get 95% of the off cut.

It really is this easy to keep the dust controlled.

I recently started doing some wood turning and this, so far, makes the most dust/shavings that are hard to collect at the source. So I wear a respirator.

I think it's easy to take protective precautions that don't interfere with the fun of wood working.

Ron Selzer
01-16-2020, 10:33 AM

everybody that reads Bill Pentz's website has roughly the same feelings
cyclones are great for dust collection filter life, however need to be sized right, too big a cyclone for your fan doesn't work well. Learned this the hard way and still working towards a good solution. a small cyclone for hand tools will greatly extend the life of your HEPA filter shop vac. Also use the paper bag liner in your shop vac.
A 20" box fan or two with 20" x 20" x 2" furnace filters will help with the amount of dust in the air that you breathe and is very inexpensive.
I want to try the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL and a 55 gallon drum at work sometime.
Since you had lung irritation already you should look into an air supplied mask as this will work with the heavy beard.
Start with something in the way of a mask that works for YOU and add more each year as money allows.
go after the really fine dust that irritates your lungs first.
Lots of information available if you search and read, also as mentioned used equipment shows up from time to time

GOOD LUCK
Ron

Andrew More
01-16-2020, 1:05 PM
I also got a HEPA filter for my shop vac and started using it more with the tools that have ports, but it clogs up quite fast. I also set up a box fan to exhaust out the garage door.

I've seen a number of variations on this cheap separator for shop vacs.
https://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/cyclone.html

You can build one in a day, or buy something like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustopper-High-Efficiency-Dust-Separator-12-in-Dia-with-2-5-in-Hose-36-in-Long-HD12/302643445

I would not buy a dust deputy, since I think they're over priced for what they are.

Please note that this will decrease your suction somewhat, and can be awkward to use. You can address that by adding everything to a cart like this:
https://jayscustomcreations.com/2016/05/mobile-air-cleaner-cart/

Also something like this can be very useful for cleaning the shop air. It's effectively a used furnance blower with some filters.

Jim Dwight
01-16-2020, 2:39 PM
I use a dust deputy and a rigid shop vac with their finest filter for the small tools. I also have a switch that turns the vac on when I turn on the connected tools. It did not provide enough suction to do much for my Saw Stop table saw, however. So I added the 2hp HF DC and a super dust deputy. The DC sits in about an 18 inch square space in the corner of the shop and has a run of 5 inch snap lock pipe to get to the table saw. Right now I just disconnect the table saw and connect a long flex hose to the planer, jointer, or router table. I may start running more snap lock for a drop for my CMS/RAS and a dedicated port for the flex hose yet this week.

I had a 1hp DC but I got rid of it, it didn't move enough air. I like the HF 2hp a lot better. I have it discharging outside. My setup is certainly nothing fancy but it works for me. I tend to underestimate cost but I think it should be at least close to your target. If you mostly use smaller tools you should probably start with the shop vac setup. Looks like you can get a pretty big rigid shop vac for close to $100 and the cyclone for about $50 so it shouldn't eat too far into your budget but I would get the best filter too. With a coupon you can get the HF DC under $200. But the cyclone is kind of pricey and piping adds up. Still you ought to be able to stay pretty close to your budget.

I have also used a thien baffle, the idea behind the trash can separator. They work well for chips but not fine dust. A cyclone does better with the fine dust. It is the fine dust that clogs your filter (or your lungs). If your climate is moderate, like mine, discharging outside eliminates the filter improving the DC performance.

jeff norris 2011
01-17-2020, 1:06 AM
A few value hints:

- looks outside of (hobby) woodworking for filters (if you can't vent outside). Any major city has more than a few industrial filter suppliers or you can go online to finding (shipping is $20-$30). They come in all shapes sizes and level of filtration. Prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 of what you find in woodworking stores for products with the same specs. You have to do some homework though, but if you catch a nice guy at the place you are buying for they can be very helpful.

- A mask. You can spend a lot of money chasing the fine dust. Masks are cheap and hard to beat. Don't need them all the time, just when you are making fine dust that is not easy to catch. Dollar for dollar - impossible to beat.

- Duct works of many sizes is getting torn out of building all the time. You can find it free at local dump or cheap used if you look for it.

- Shop Vac sized Cyclones work well. As they are just some cheap plastic there are many 'off brand' options for $20 you can find.

ChrisA Edwards
01-17-2020, 9:59 AM
That Jet DC, post #3, just went on sale for $674.

Mark Daily
01-17-2020, 1:50 PM
Phillip, I have a 10’ X 20’ “3rd car garage” shop. I have an earlier version of the below linked DC which is now selling for $365.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-1-1-2-HP-Dust-Collector/G1028Z2

I also have the Jet AFS 1000B air filter with washable first stage filter which filters much better than the cheap paper filter that came with it.
Ive seen it online currently for just under $400.

After reading the Pence material I bought a Dylos particle meter to see how effective my system is. When running, the dust collector is filtering small particles in the range around 100 which is very good. The Jet is doing about the same, so the air coming out of each is very clean.

When using the table saw, chop saw or sander the particle counts can get into the 2000-3000 (tel:2000-3000) range which is “poor” but running the Jet on high will reduce that to around 100 or less in about 10-15 minutes.

I put my shop together many years ago and used 4” flex hose to construct the entire system.

Hope this helps.

Nick Drake
01-17-2020, 1:53 PM
You can build one in a day, or buy something like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustopper-High-Efficiency-Dust-Separator-12-in-Dia-with-2-5-in-Hose-36-in-Long-HD12/302643445

I would not buy a dust deputy, since I think they're over priced for what they are.

Also something like this can be very useful for cleaning the shop air. It's effectively a used furnance blower with some filters.

I tried similar set ups to the first two when cutting a lot of fiber cement board (~700sq ft) for flooring underlayment and found that it didn't separate the fine dust well. I was still getting short bag life.

You can get the better designed oneida cyclone without going for the overpriced kit, this is only $10 more than the home depot lid linked: https://www.oneida-air.com/anti-static-dust-deputy-diy-cyclone-separator

A 5 gallon bucket/lid and you're good to go. I would also suggest cutting out a circle of plywood to support the middle of the bucket. Without support a 6hp shopvac would collapse the bucket on longer run times.
Later on I got tired of frequently dumping a 5 gallon bucket and have gone to more capacity in the garage where I'm rarely moving tools: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026GO5CA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray Newman
01-17-2020, 3:59 PM
Jeff Norris 2011 mentioned wearing a mask. A good mask will work well as long as you do not have a beard. I have beard and know of several other who also have beards and we have found that dusk masks really do not work very well with a beard.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-19-2020, 11:56 AM
That’s my problem. I have a full beard, and my wife doesn’t want me to shave it. (I would do it in a second to keep working)

After reading responses and talking it over, My wife wants me to hold off on investing in the shop because we’re going to move in 3 years. If I find a property with land I can build an outbuilding with ventilation in mind.

It does suck having to wait, but I am worried about tracking the fine dust into the house from the garage. (I have a daughter with asthma)

Thanks for all the input.

Dave Sabo
01-20-2020, 9:22 PM
While I understand the SWMBO edict, I think it's a bit short sited.

She's correct on principle , but not totally. No sense investing a lot into something you know will be replaced soon. However , there a real benefits to having dust collection NOW even if it's not your be all need all system.

The cleanliness and health benefits of having a collector are a real need now.

Perhaps a harbor freight collector (on sale) and a Wynn cartridge filter would be a sensible middle ground. If you to a few hours and made a Thein baffle for it , you'd have a pretty bang up system for a single tool at a time for $500 or less. A box store box fan and some good pleated furnace filters will clean the shop for another $30-$40. Bith can easily be taken with you when you move. The collector could even be sold at moving time recouping a decent amount of your money to put towards a bigger cyclone at the new shop.

Brice Rogers
01-21-2020, 1:24 AM
Consider buying a powered respirator like the Trend Air pro. They work well with beards. They presurize the helmet and have a curtain around your face. So, you are supplied with fresh air and they expect it to leak out somewhere. They cost around $400 but everyone says that they are worth it.

ChrisA Edwards
01-21-2020, 9:36 AM
Consider buying a powered respirator like the Trend Air pro. They work well with beards. They presurize the helmet and have a curtain around your face. So, you are supplied with fresh air and they expect it to leak out somewhere. They cost around $400 but everyone says that they are worth it.

Just bought a Trend Airshiled Pro (Impact version) a couple of weeks ago. I started a bit of wood turning and quickly realized there is not a good way to collect saw dust and shavings at the source like you can on most other tools.

I find it relatively comfortable to wear and it stays in place while I'm moving my head down, such as marking and measuring. I don't find the weight an issue for extended period of wearing it. I put it on anytime I'm using a power tool now. I wear prescription safety glasses and in goes on and off easily over those.

Jim Dwight
01-21-2020, 1:02 PM
I also have a beard, I have for nearly 50 years now. I think a mask still reduces dust but I do not wear one while woodworking. I use my DC or shop vac to get as much dust as possible (although the DC needs upgrades still) and let air blow through my shop whenever possible.

My goal for air cleanliness in my shop is to be no worse than outside air that isn't terribly dusty. I do not know if I get there yet but I will find out. But it is important, I think, to note that Bill Pentz's goal is very different. He wants his shop air to be cleaner than most people have inside their house. That takes a lot more. Bill needs this for health reasons but I do not. (Bill also has significantly upgraded the air filtration inside his house for the same reason)

I don't think it's terribly healthy to have a closed up shop without doing something to collect the dust. I used to do it but I did not like walking out all dusty and coughing etc.. But I find that even the simple, relatively inexpensive, equipment I have prevents any gross amount of dust in the air. I need to clean up my shop, I am messy, but that isn't my DCs fault. I am really pleased with Rockler's floor sweep powered by my HF DC but I still have to pick up scraps before I can do a good job cleaning the floor. That is underway, just not done yet.

Ben Schmidt
01-21-2020, 4:05 PM
Just bought a Trend Airshiled Pro (Impact version) a couple of weeks ago. I started a bit of wood turning and quickly realized there is not a good way to collect saw dust and shavings at the source like you can on most other tools.

I find it relatively comfortable to wear and it stays in place while I'm moving my head down, such as marking and measuring. I don't find the weight an issue for extended period of wearing it. I put it on anytime I'm using a power tool now. I wear prescription safety glasses and in goes on and off easily over those.

What's the noise like? I feel like that motor running inches from your ears would get annoying after a little while.

ChrisA Edwards
01-21-2020, 4:34 PM
You can hear the motor, but it's not loud, above the same level as hearing the engine while driving a car.

With ear protection, it almost disappears.

glenn bradley
01-21-2020, 5:14 PM
Dust collection seems to be a passionate topic for a lot of folks here,

It is one of those polarizing topics. those of us who have suffered the impact of too little, too late need to be careful to not terrorize folks with gigantic price tags and tales of doom and gloom ;-)

I have a super dust deputy and a regular one for the shop vac. I like them both. They work as advertised.

If you can, vent the output of your blower outside; this will eliminate the need for a filter.

Prashun has summed up an answer to your question in about as brief and a succinct way as you are likely to get.

Your location is not posted but, I will guess that venting outside is not an option as anyone who can do that earns good-natured, jealous wrath from the rest of us. It boils down to this:
- Get the best you can afford. Given your shop size you can get away with a portable unit and I would spend the lion's share of my budget on the machine itself.
- If you exhaust back into the air you are working in, a bag filter is not going to cut it. A pleated filter will clog quickly and require frequent maintenance in a single stage machine.
- A cyclone will keep your filter cleaner longer and allow decent air quality to be exhausted back into your work space.

You do not mention your height restrictions. There are a plethora of short, fat-cone portable cyclones currently on the market that do a sub-optimal job of separation. This leads to more frequent filter problems than a typical cyclone geometry separator. The Super Dust Deputy mentioned is a good modification for a bagger to get the separation you want. This setup can be challenging to portabilize which means ductwork and the asociated cost of that ductwork eating into your machine's share of the budget.

Using a quick Google search I would stay away from things like the short-cone machines (https://www.woodcraft.com/products/laguna-c-flux-1-5hp-1-micron-cyclone?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuoK24tmV5wIVEb7ACh2fYgAH EAQYASABEgL54vD_BwE) and lean towards a portable long-cone machine (https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-1-1-2-HP-Portable-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/G0860) if possible. The ones I linked to were just spit-balled and not a thoroughly researched recommendation.

George Yetka
01-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Elipse is working pretty well with my beard (about 1-1/2 inch)

There a whole bunch of ways to skin cats. I went the way of starting with 2hp HF(added Wynn air filter to it. the bag does little to save your lungs) and eventually added ducting and seperator.

I upgraded to a Clearvue with ducting.did all install myself not too hard and I vent outside now. Cost me less than 2500 total with all ducting and gates

Looking back I would have bought the HF/ wynn filter and a hose to move around to machines for a while until i could afford the clearvue.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-23-2020, 7:59 PM
Just a little update:

Fortune smiled upon me a bit (in the form of a scratch off lotto win), and I have a little more money to work with than I initially thought. I am going to pick up the Dylos 1100 meter (https://www.amazon.com/Dylos-DC1100-Standard-Quality-Monitor/dp/B000XG8XCI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1NRVSOLITZTDJ&keywords=dylos+air+quality+monitor&qid=1579827247&sprefix=dylos%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3), and the Jet Air Purifier (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9LO?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=T4SDW12Y5M48RKEG0J0H).

I'm still mulling over what kind of DC to buy. HF and the Wynn filter is a cheap/effective solution, but I think I can probably do a little better. My garage has 9/10 foot ceilings so I believe that would accommodate most of the tall vertical units. I think I can afford around 1000$ on the DC unit. Any suggestions? Is the 600-700$ Jet unit a well performing option? I'm completely ok with swapping the hose between machines.

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for my slow replies, been busy at work.

Phil

ChrisA Edwards
01-23-2020, 8:29 PM
Is the 600-700$ Jet unit a well performing option? I'm completely ok with swapping the hose between machines.
Phil

Congratulations on the win....

I've been happy with my Jet, the one I reference in post #3 and #14, that's the one I've had for 5 years.

I think most of these <2Hp DC's are pretty much the same unit with a different paint job.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-23-2020, 8:50 PM
Congratulations on the win....

I've been happy with my Jet, the one I reference in post #3 and #14, that's the one I've had for 5 years.

I think most of these <2Hp DC's are pretty much the same unit with a different paint job.

I was thinking of going with one that already had the cyclone built in. Something similar to this guy (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1YTJZD/ref=psdc_553020_t1_B07K1T97GK).

ChrisA Edwards
01-23-2020, 10:04 PM
That'll work.

David Bassett
01-24-2020, 12:16 AM
I was thinking of going with one that already had the cyclone built in. Something similar to this guy (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1YTJZD/ref=psdc_553020_t1_B07K1T97GK).

Pretty sure FWW had, or will have soon, a review of that one. (One of their editors described the assembly, and possible errors..., in their podcast.)

Bob Jones 5443
01-24-2020, 1:42 AM
Just a little update:

Fortune smiled upon me a bit (in the form of a scratch off lotto win), and I have a little more money to work with than I initially thought. I am going to pick up the Dylos 1100 meter (https://www.amazon.com/Dylos-DC1100-Standard-Quality-Monitor/dp/B000XG8XCI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1NRVSOLITZTDJ&keywords=dylos+air+quality+monitor&qid=1579827247&sprefix=dylos%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3), and the Jet Air Purifier (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9LO?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=T4SDW12Y5M48RKEG0J0H).

I'm still mulling over what kind of DC to buy. HF and the Wynn filter is a cheap/effective solution, but I think I can probably do a little better. My garage has 9/10 foot ceilings so I believe that would accommodate most of the tall vertical units. I think I can afford around 1000$ on the DC unit. Any suggestions? Is the 600-700$ Jet unit a well performing option? I'm completely ok with swapping the hose between machines.

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for my slow replies, been busy at work.

Phil

Philip,

Yep. That's the Jet to get. Mine works like a dream. I notice a marked difference in clearing the air after a blast of fine dust shoots out from something, or after sanding (which I rarely do anymore).

I am just blown away by how expensive simple impeller dust collectors have gotten lately. Ridiculous. I still use my Delta 50-850 from 2001 or 2002, and it's a powerhouse. I paid $300 at most for it, new. Today many people talk about the Harbor Freight impeller unit. If I had it to do today, I'd try that one. It's cheap (although it was available for $150 last year, and seems to be $209 as I write), and the principle is simple, so how bad could it be? You take it apart, throw away the top bag and keep the plastic bottom bag.

Then you throw down the cash for a Wynn filter (mine was $205) and build yourself a wall mount contraption out of 2x4s for the motor/impeller and the cyclone-like receiver with Wynn on top. What a difference the Wynn makes.

Now you need the ducting. 4" is PLENTY GOOD ENOUGH. Make your own blast gates (it's fun). Don't forget the Super Dust Deputy. I built mine last year after owning the free-standing Delta all that time. Finally, a bucket to catch the chips and dust.

I already owned the Delta, as I said. Total additional expense for Wynn, PVC, Dust Deputy, nifty 30-gallon air-tight bucket, and miscellaneous hardware: $700. Add the Jet AFS-1000, and it's a couple hundred more than that. I've seen that unit on deep discount lately.

Although that sounds like a lot of coin, I now have what feels to me like a world class dust system: effective and convenient. Not having to wheel the rickety DC around the shop is a real treat. I just open a blast gate and away I go.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-24-2020, 3:09 AM
Philip,

Yep. That's the Jet to get. Mine works like a dream. I notice a marked difference in clearing the air after a blast of fine dust shoots out from something, or after sanding (which I rarely do anymore).

I am just blown away by how expensive simple impeller dust collectors have gotten lately. Ridiculous. I still use my Delta 50-850 from 2001 or 2002, and it's a powerhouse. I paid $300 at most for it, new. Today many people talk about the Harbor Freight impeller unit. If I had it to do today, I'd try that one. It's cheap (although it was available for $150 last year, and seems to be $209 as I write), and the principle is simple, so how bad could it be? You take it apart, throw away the top bag and keep the plastic bottom bag.

Then you throw down the cash for a Wynn filter (mine was $205) and build yourself a wall mount contraption out of 2x4s for the motor/impeller and the cyclone-like receiver with Wynn on top. What a difference the Wynn makes.

Now you need the ducting. 4" is PLENTY GOOD ENOUGH. Make your own blast gates (it's fun). Don't forget the Super Dust Deputy. I built mine last year after owning the free-standing Delta all that time. Finally, a bucket to catch the chips and dust.

I already owned the Delta, as I said. Total additional expense for Wynn, PVC, Dust Deputy, nifty 30-gallon air-tight bucket, and miscellaneous hardware: $700. Add the Jet AFS-1000, and it's a couple hundred more than that. I've seen that unit on deep discount lately.

Although that sounds like a lot of coin, I now have what feels to me like a world class dust system: effective and convenient. Not having to wheel the rickety DC around the shop is a real treat. I just open a blast gate and away I go.

I think I'm going to take the same path. However, I'm going to invest in a comfortable 3M full face respirator to eliminate the active fine dust risk. That seems to be the most cost effective way to deal with the problem. Then just leave the Jet ceiling unit running until it all calms down.

Phil

Larry Frank
01-24-2020, 7:23 AM
I would not call a Delta 1.5 hp DC a powerhouse.

While a face mask respirator is great, you still have a lot of dust in your clothes and carry it around with you and into the house.

The best dust collection is done at the source of the dust.

Mark Daily
01-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Philip- I would also get the washable electrostatic outer filter for the Jet purifier. I did and found they filter very well and will save you money not having to buy replacement filters. I’ve had mine over 10 years.

jeff norris 2011
01-24-2020, 11:24 AM
I would not call a Delta 1.5 hp DC a powerhouse.

While a face mask respirator is great, you still have a lot of dust in your clothes and carry it around with you and into the house.

The best dust collection is done at the source of the dust.

This is my process to remove fine dust from my clothes:

PHILIP MACHIN
01-28-2020, 6:32 PM
My Air Quality meter showed up yesterday. My ambient levels in my garage and house were both about the same 400-500 pm2.5 and basically 0 large particle. What's interesting is when we cook dinner the entire living area shoots up to like 30,000 particles and takes an hour or two to come back down.

We ended up buying an air purifier for the downstairs living area as well.

Bruno Jean
01-29-2020, 8:58 AM
Philip,

Are you sure your particle meter is working. You are supposed to have more large particles in the air than small ones. Check the bottom of this wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulates

I also have an air quality monitor and the large particles count is always higher than the lower. I never see a 0 count for any particle size, even after hours of filtering.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-29-2020, 9:50 PM
Right now it’s reading 727 small and 28 large which seems pretty consistent with the ratio of particles shown in the users manual.

Andrew More
01-29-2020, 10:53 PM

I think you're better off with this (https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-1-1-2-HP-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/G0443) model in that price range. The general problem with the mobile cyclones is that they're a compromise all around. The shorter cone does not separate out the dust as well, and then you have to clean the filter a lot. If you're looking for mobile, or you've got really short ceilings that model's okay, but otherwise go with one of the taller cyclones.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-30-2020, 7:58 AM
Update:

After much deliberation, my wife has expanded my allowable budget significantly. I have been doing considerable research over the last week or so and I think I have decided on a ClearVue CV 1800. The ol' buy once, cry once strategy. It might be a little overkill for what I have now, but I plan on expanding to an external shop in the future.

I do have questions/issues to ask you all about though:

1) We are moving in 3-4 years, I don't want to spend a huge amount of time/money installing permanent ducting. My DC will be in reasonably close proximity to my tools and I was thinking of just running one roughly 10' run of 6 inch duct up to the ceiling, over to the center of my work area and down to a 6/4 wye at about head level. Then I would use flex hose to each machine in my work area. My 'Shop' is basically a 1 car garage portion of my 2 car garage. I have a Sawstop PCS, a Band saw, a Miter saw and other assorted hand power tools. I generally move the tool I am using to the center of my work area, and back to the wall when i am done. Will this setup be effective, or am I going to lose a lot of CFM by using a bit of flex?

2) I planned on building a free standing, sound dampening enclosure similar to this one. (https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/forum/forum/clearvue-cyclones/noise-control/1353-unique-portable-cv1800-enclosure) I am concerned about motor cooling, and it looks like in his pictures they left the top open. Would that be sufficient? There will probably be at most 3-4 inches of clearance between this thing and the garage ceiling.

Thank you all for your input and support. This is a great community.

Phil

Prashun Patel
01-30-2020, 8:51 AM
Given that you move the tools anyway, and are planning to move from this house, I would just run a 10 or 20' flex hose from the dc. Any CFM loss from the flex hose would be compensated by the shorter distance, and lack of any splits or drastic bends from a rigid duct network.

I do this on my shop. I use a 10ft 6" flex that steps down to a 10 ft 4" flex.

I would also take a look at the Oneida offerings. I find mine to be well made. Their Supercell collector looks very interesting as it claims to be a good vaccuum AND dust collector.

PHILIP MACHIN
01-30-2020, 9:23 AM
Given that you move the tools anyway, and are planning to move from this house, I would just run a 10 or 20' flex hose from the dc. Any CFM loss from the flex hose would be compensated by the shorter distance, and lack of any splits or drastic bends from a rigid duct network.

I do this on my shop. I use a 10ft 6" flex that steps down to a 10 ft 4" flex.

I would also take a look at the Oneida offerings. I find mine to be well made. Their Supercell collector looks very interesting as it claims to be a good vaccuum AND dust collector.

I was looking at the V3000 from Oneida. It seems like a solid machine, but the Clearvue seemed like it had more potential for long term "growth" with the 5HP motor. I also liked the idea of being able to build it myself inside an enclosure without having to disassemble the machine and potentially void warranties, etc.

I'm still open to any ideas though.

ChrisA Edwards
01-30-2020, 1:50 PM
Metal or plastic ducting is easy to setup and install. It can be put up with minimal supports and likewise, taken down in less time leaving minimal evidence that it ws ever there, especially in a garage.

Plumb it now as if you are planning to stay there and take it down and re-install when you actually move.

Congratulations on your choice of the Clearview.

john lawson
02-01-2020, 5:57 PM
I understand putting everything on hold and waiting 3 years, but here is what I did when faced with your problem:

I decided to search Craigslist and be patient. It took me a year but I found a used 5hp Clearvue for $500 with a bunch of 6" piping and blast gates. I had to drive 600 miles to get it but it was worth it, I'm retired and had the time and a trailer so no big deal for me. I built a sound closet for a couple hundred bucks and I am set for life.

Will you find the same deal, probably not but the mintimum I would settle for is a 5 hp, either Clearvue, Onieda or Grizzly. The electrical you can do yourself and it may seem daunting at first, it's not and it's not that expensive if you can do it or have a friend help you.
Good luck

Jim Andrew
02-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Glad you came to a good decision. There is a huge difference between where you started out and and have finally finished. Personally, I think anything less than a 3hp system, is a waste of money, unless you are just using some homeowner grade power tools, and then you could probably get by with a shop vac.

ChrisA Edwards
02-03-2020, 10:41 PM
....... Personally, I think anything less than a 3hp system, is a waste of money, unless you are just using some homeowner grade power tools, and then you could probably get by with a shop vac.

I was going to bite my tongue on this statement, but then I thought, there's lots of folk who garner lots of information from these threads, just as I have done in the past and still do.

So my home owner grade of tools consists of a 3HP SawStop tablesaw, a Hammer A3-31 12" planer/jointer, a Hammer F3 Shaper, a Shopfox W1812 Moulder, a Laguna 14/12 BandSaw, a Powermatic Mortiser, a Jet Oscillating Belt Sander and a SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander, to name a few.

Not bad home owner grade tools....but I know for a fact, a shop vac would not work with the majority of those tools.

When I cut 600 ln/ft of elliptical Plantation Shutter Louvers, with my ShopFox Moulder, I filled my 55 gallon drum twelve times, that was a lot of horse stable bedding, which is where those shavings ended up.

And what allowed me to do this? A measly 1.5HP Jet dust collector converted into a two stage through 5" metal ducting with 4" ports at the tool.

If I found the Jet inadequate or frustrating to use, it would have been replaced long ago.

I'm very happy for the OP, I think he's made a good choice and won't regret it.

At some point I may upgrade the Jet, but it probably will not be until the motor fails, so far 5 years and going strong with a start and stop every time I turn a tool on.

Larry Frank
02-04-2020, 7:05 AM
I agree that a 1.5 hp DC is a great chip collector. However, it probably is not so great with dust collection. I went from a 1.5 HP chip collector to a 5 HP one and there is a huge difference in the shop air quality.

Edwin Santos
02-04-2020, 1:21 PM
Glad you came to a good decision. There is a huge difference between where you started out and and have finally finished. Personally, I think anything less than a 3hp system, is a waste of money, unless you are just using some homeowner grade power tools, and then you could probably get by with a shop vac.

Perhaps saying anything less than 3hp is a waste of money might be a little extreme. After all any dust collection is better than none. However I definitely agree with the larger point that dust collection is one of those areas where more power is better. In my case, I have a 3hp Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. It is quite powerful and indeed my dust collection is better than a lot of shops, but had I been thinking properly, I should have gone with the 5hp simply because the incremental cost between 3hp and 5hp was so small, like $150 or something like that. Imagine that, $150 more to get 60% more power on a $2000 purchase.

I even called Oneida to find out if I could upgrade the motor, and it really wasn't feasible due to the fact that my unit's housing is designed around the 3hp motor. So take it from me, if you go smaller, you could find yourself wishing you went larger, but odds are you won't have any remorse if you err to the larger size.

Edwin

Andrew More
02-04-2020, 1:31 PM
I agree that a 1.5 hp DC is a great chip collector. However, it probably is not so great with dust collection. I went from a 1.5 HP chip collector to a 5 HP one and there is a huge difference in the shop air quality.

The problem is that there are SO many things that could be effecting this I don't think we can just put it down to more HP = better system. Just as a guess, I'm going to say that you likely replaced most, or all of the ducting, and the filter. Depending on the time between replacements, you likely also have different tools, with different shrouds, and potentially different work loads. Those different work loads are likely producing difference amounts of dust.

PHILIP MACHIN
02-04-2020, 8:53 PM
Just finished the sub panel install in the garage today. Two 30A 240 circuits and two dedicated 20A 120’s. Got the inspector coming to give it the ok. Once I’m good to go I’m pulling the trigger on the CV1800.