PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine longevity advice please

Aaron Rosenthal
01-13-2020, 9:44 PM
For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks, and the mobile repair guru said “usable, but start looking”. The repair cost was estimated to be close to a new machine’s cost.
He suggested a Whirlpool direct drive washer, although the better models he said, were last made in 2010.
Although I’ve always had a top loader, I really don’t care. I want long term reliability.
We’re a family of 5 still at home, with regular washing of one load daily, and some days 4 loads.
I’ve seen almost universal reports to pass on the Samsung, but those were new.
I can feel the vibration of the old machine on the second floor during the spin cycle; it’s time to replace. Any advice?

julian abram
01-13-2020, 9:52 PM
We bought a new Samsung washer and dryer set about 6 years ago on the advice of an appliance repairman. They have been great, wife likes using them, no problems.

Doug Dawson
01-13-2020, 9:59 PM
For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks, and the mobile repair guru said “usable, but start looking”. The repair cost was estimated to be close to a new machine’s cost.
He suggested a Whirlpool direct drive washer, although the better models he said, were last made in 2010.
Although I’ve always had a top loader, I really don’t care. I want long term reliability.
We’re a family of 5 still at home, with regular washing of one load daily, and some days 4 loads.
I’ve seen almost universal reports to pass on the Samsung, but those were new.
I can feel the vibration of the old machine on the second floor during the spin cycle; it’s time to replace. Any advice?

"They don't make them like they used to" is so true, as appliances like this have become a disposable commodity. Maybe your repair guy wants a guaranteed income? :^) If it were me, I'd have it repaired, or learn to repair it myself. "Homor the timeless classics."

Kev Williams
01-14-2020, 2:22 AM
We got a Whirlpool 'Duets' front loader set in 2013, just the basic models, they look and work like brand new still. I get a kick out of how the washer sounds like a flying saucer when the spin dry is spooling up. And even when the wife has the thing full of rugs, when it's spin-drying at 1200 rpm, I can balance a nickel on top of the thing, which amazes me. Speaking of flying saucer noises, I've always had a keen sense of noticing when things start sounding different than normal, and neither the washer or dryer has ever made an abnormal noise. I figure they got at least another 7 years left in 'em.

Jason Roehl
01-14-2020, 5:30 AM
My friend, an "appliance guy" said to get Speed Queen--commercial grade durability, and dead simple. We replaced our laundry center (a legacy machine from our last, very small home), with a Whirlpool set that was about $1000 (electric dryer) last year. No bells and whistles. My friend told me that was about the second best option out there. The Speed Queen set would have been about $2500, which I would consider, but it wasn't in the budget at the time.

Wes Mitchell
01-14-2020, 9:02 AM
I had my front load Electrolux apart the other day to clean the boot that seals the door to the drum (apparently you're supposed to clean that regularly, not once every 5 years, who knew?) and was surprised at the amount of concrete involved in modern washing machines. It has been a good washer considering the low price.

Bill Dufour
01-14-2020, 9:29 AM
I am still waiting for them to make a gas washer/dryer unit. All the current washer/dryer units are non vented which does not really work in winter. The last gas washer dryer units were made around 1960.
Bill D.

Frank Pratt
01-14-2020, 9:37 AM
"They don't make them like they used to" is so true

And thank goodness! My current front loaders are much quieter and use a small fraction of the water, detergent & energy of what the old set did.

Jim Becker
01-14-2020, 9:38 AM
We have LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer front loaders with the pedestals. They have performed well for us and the capacities are very large. With the washer, it's important to do the normal maintenance which includes draining the overflow screen system and wiping out the seal as well as periodically running the cleaning cycle with bleach. We also leave the door open to further prevent any chance of mildew, etc. Our units are on the second floor and unless someone puts a "remarkably" unbalanced load in the washer, there's little vibration. We do limit spin speed to "medium" which also helps with that and is more than adequate for anything we ever wash.

Erik Loza
01-14-2020, 11:06 AM
We have LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer front loaders with the pedestals...

We've had the exact same models since around 2014 and no issues so far. The washers does tend to walk around slightly if I do something like a large blanket but it hasn't been an issue. Like Jim mentioned, there is actually a soft stop which keeps the washer door slightly cracked, so you don't get mildew. Took me a while to figure that out.

Erik

Stan Calow
01-14-2020, 11:14 AM
Difficult to tell who actually makes what. I think Whirlpool and Maytag are the same company now, and maybe same factory. Our Kenmore is made by Electrolux. There's a cost/longevity breakpoint that you have to weigh. We go to Consumer Reports for their brand reliability ratings for major appliances.

We had to put water hammer arrestors on the washer because of the terrible banging that goes on at start up (several rapid open and closing of valves). Yes we also didn't find the soft stop door feature to prevent mildew until late.

Adam Herman
01-14-2020, 11:20 AM
we buy used from a big warehouse in a shady part of town, they have a big line where they fix dishwashers, washers, dryers and stoves, and distribute to rental companies, apartment complexes, used appliance stores. We have a set of Kenmore front loaders that cost us 600 for both about 4 years ago and they are going well. did have to replace the belt tensioner in the dryer, but that was not a big deal.

they don't do fridges. say it's not worth it. we buy used sub zeros and get them fixed if needed. cheaper than a nice new fridge, and will last twice as long.

Jerome Stanek
01-14-2020, 1:24 PM
I bought my washer and dryer back in 1995 and they still are going strong. I worked in construction and had 2 kids that were home and did about a load a day. I got the set from Sams club they were the Estate elcheapo at that time. No fancy electronics.

Bruce Wrenn
01-14-2020, 1:29 PM
We're using a Kenmore for the last ten years that came free, well almost free, from CL. Owner had "worked on it," putting new drive block in. He snapped the fingers that hold motor in place into the windings. End of story. I purchased a used motor from CL for $40. This was a much more deluxe version of out old washer. Took our old washer ( early eighties Kenmore) and use it at Campers on Mission at State Fair, when for two weeks it runs from early in the morning to well into the night each year. Check and see if your Maytag is actually a Whirlpool (same as a Kenmore.) If so, just replace damaged parts, which can be purchased online. Most leaks are around the pump shaft. Pumps can be gotten off Ebay for less than $20. Don't worry about them being made in China - They all are. Both E Replacemnt and Appliance Clinic have videos showing how to do this, it's not rocket science.

Bruce Wrenn
01-14-2020, 1:35 PM
I bought my washer and dryer back in 1995 and they still are going strong. I worked in construction and had 2 kids that were home and did about a load a day. I got the set from Sams club they were the Estate elcheapo at that time. No fancy electronics.Estate is a Whirlpool brand. Same innards, just a different name plate.

Izzy Camire
01-14-2020, 2:32 PM
We recently bought a Speed Queen TR5 and so far we like it.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2020, 2:37 PM
The last gas washer dryer units were made around 1960.

My dad had a gas washer. It had a pull cord to start the motor.

jtk

michael langman
01-14-2020, 2:40 PM
When we bought our house in 1994 there was a Sears Kenmore heavy duty washer with a nice gentle cycle my wife likes. Kenmore dryer also. It was made in 1979 or so.
I just keep repairing it as Bruce does. I just hope it keeps on going,, as the newer stuff doesn't impress me with the reliability issues.

Robert Engel
01-14-2020, 2:45 PM
For a while I was buying used appliances and actually had pretty decent luck. I bought them from our appliance repair man he backed them for a year.

The issue with non-commercial washers is the motor/transmission is one unit. If anything happens its usually not cost effective to fix.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend them, but we've had pretty good luck with LG appliances. We currently have LG front loaders no issues so far about 4 years in service, but not used heavily. Very high tech, very "electronic". We bought the 5 years service plan. PS if you go with front loaders, I highly recommend the drawer bases.

30 years ago our first washer was a Norge (on a par with SQ don't think they make them anymore). The dryer quit after about 10 years but the washer never quit the only reason we got a new one was the top was starting to rust - almost 25 years later. Never had a service call even once.

Myk Rian
01-14-2020, 7:31 PM
For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks,

That's what ours did.
We went with another Maytag. A Bravos XL MCT (Maytag Commercial Technology. Top loader
Direct drive with variable speed motor. 3ph? Very quiet and well built. Reasonably priced.

Larry Frank
01-14-2020, 7:56 PM
We had Bosch front loader for a little over 2 years and had constant problems with the spin, not draining, having it lock up and not being able to reset. My wife was really unhappy and I finally had enough and we bought a top loader...an LG. Clothes come out cleaner with larger loads and ZERO problems and a happy wife.

Bill Bukovec
01-14-2020, 9:52 PM
Speed queen all the way. When we bought our house it came with Samsung front loader. Our clothes came out still dirty and musty smelling. We bought the Speed queen to replace it. We have a Speed queen at work for washing uniforms. It gets used heavily and doesn't break down. If it ever did, the repairman is three miles away at the appliance store.

Rick Potter
01-14-2020, 10:32 PM
When our Maytag set gave out 2 years ago, we tried to get it fixed and the independent repairman told us it would not be worth it, too costly.

We asked what he would buy, and he said definitely Speed Queen, and just get the one with the least bells and whistles, because that is what is very expensive.

So we did just what he recommended.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2020, 11:21 PM
We bought our GE Profile washer and dryer when we moved here back in '08. The washer had one call while in warrantee. The dryer needed new drum bearing pads and rear bearing replacement twice. This was simple for me to do. There was a problem with the venting motor and control that required the shop to replace it.

If they do need replacement in the future, we will look for something else.

jtk

Bill Dufour
01-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Laundermat near me remodeled and installed "Dexter" brand machines. Seems to be an old USA made brand. They look equal to Speed Queen commercial at least a quick glance through the window looks good.
Bill D

Alan Rutherford
01-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Our Bosch front-loader is probably 12-15 years old. Showing its age, getting a little noisy while spinning now, but still going despite years of use and abuse. Bosch doesn't seem to make many washers now - just a couple of compact models. The 2020 Consumer Reports Buying Guide gives LG the highest scores for reliability.

Mel Fulks
01-15-2020, 1:39 PM
Our Maytags are 23 years old, and get used a lot. Not the slightest glitch .
Thats why the Maytag repair man is "the loneliest guy in town"

Dave Cav
01-15-2020, 1:48 PM
As Sam's Club, Costco and home centers have gotten into the home appliance business it's become a race to to the bottom, and major appliances have become commodities to be replaced every few years. This trend started about 10 or 15 years ago. When we started doing research on W/Ds when we built our new house, reading the reviews on most everything out there only reinforced this. We wanted a vertical washer with an agitator, the ability to bypass the "eco" cycle (which attempts to wash a full load with a cup and a half of water) and a gas dryer We ended up going with Speed Queen. I initially wanted the "non electronic" version but the salesman (who also owned the store) pointed out the electronic version had a five year warranty, but the regular model only had a 3 year warranty.

Mel Fulks
01-15-2020, 2:03 PM
"They don't make them like they used to" is so true, as appliances like this have become a disposable commodity. Maybe your repair guy wants a guaranteed income? :^) If it were me, I'd have it repaired, or learn to repair it myself. "Homor the timeless classics."

The color thing has really changed appliances . Our neighborhood chat site has always got free or real cheap appliances.
Especially dish washers.

Frank Pratt
01-15-2020, 4:54 PM
Our Maytags are 23 years old, and get used a lot. Not the slightest glitch .
Thats why the Maytag repair man is "the loneliest guy in town"

Don't think if you buy one now that you'll get the same quality. Maytag, like Kitchenaid, used to be a very good appliance brand. Now they're definitely in the lower end for durablilty.

Doug Dawson
01-15-2020, 5:02 PM
Don't think if you buy one now that you'll get the same quality. Maytag, like Kitchenaid, used to be a very good appliance brand. Now they're definitely in the lower end for durablilty.

The Maytag repair man died a few years ago. I don't know who's on the watch now.

I fifth the recommendation for Speed Queen, BTW. I bought a set four years ago (top-loading washer) and if you can afford them, (they don't cost _that_ much more) they are sweet machines, no matter what Consumer Reports says (they are IMO idiots when it comes to this type of gear.)

Mel Fulks
01-15-2020, 6:08 PM
Just looked up Maytag washshinamasheen. Current top load ....top rated.

Doug Dawson
01-15-2020, 6:14 PM
Just looked up Maytag washshinamasheen. Current top load ....top rated.

Consumer Reports seems obsessed with whether a washing machine makes noise. So if it didn't do anything at all, they'd rate it even higher. :^)

Mel Fulks
01-15-2020, 6:24 PM
Doug.....I'm sorry. Please choose one of our lovely "parting gifts". And the second runner-up Miss America will send you
a photo.....Now let's meet our NEXT CONTESTANT !!

Doug Dawson
01-15-2020, 7:09 PM
Doug.....I'm sorry. Please choose one of our lovely "parting gifts". And the second runner-up Miss America will send you
a photo.....Now let's meet our NEXT CONTESTANT !!

So you disagree? What is, "Did you read the reviews"? :^) Judges please.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2020, 7:24 PM
[edited]

no matter what Consumer Reports says (they are IMO idiots when it comes to this type of gear.)

Consumer Reports seems obsessed with whether a washing machine makes noise. So if it didn't do anything at all, they'd rate it even higher. :^)

My opinion of Consumer Reports has remained low for decades.

One report gave top marks to a Montgomery Wards branded refrigerator. The same model with the OEM's badge was down low on the list.

They gave bad ratings to some good quality cookware, which is the preferred cookware of many cooks, for being "too heavy." The top rating went to some aluminum cookware.

Another time the Schwinn Varsity bicycle was given a top rating. At the time it was one of the heaviest 10 speed bikes on the market. They didn't like the lugs used at the joints of tubing on other bikes. Anyone who knows about bicycle riding knows it is the rider who has to work harder to move the extra weight.

They may get some things right, who knows? For my money, it may be better to ask individuals on a forum like this.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
01-15-2020, 8:49 PM
My dad had a gas washer. It had a pull cord to start the motor.

jtkThat's what I learned to repair small engines on. Dad brought home a 1.0 HP, cast iron Briggs, horizontal shaft engine from a Bendex washing machine. Told me to figure out what was wrong, and he would pay for the parts necessary to fix it. It had a rusted intake valve, so I learned how to "grind valves." Probably one of the best gifts ever, as it keeps giving and giving.

Mike Wilkins
01-15-2020, 9:24 PM
No advice on which model to buy.
But it's a sad state when even the appliance salesman tells you that today's appliances are not meant to last. I hate this disposable society.

Dan Jansen
01-15-2020, 9:28 PM
We bought a speed queen after a disappointing experience with a Kenmore. I definitely recommend a Speed Queen. We are very pleased with it.

Mel Fulks
01-15-2020, 10:09 PM
I agree they ( Consumer Reports) have unusual criteria. At times goofy criteria. They will give high marks for "easy to open", "doesn't smell
as bad as some things", "bullet proof", "if you eat it ,you have a chance of surviving", " not comfortable but will not scratch
a vinyl floor", "the only shoe polish that is a safe food coloring", "we like this car because the radio antena has a grease fitting". BUT they sure know washing machines !

Darcy Warner
01-15-2020, 10:15 PM
I have old school speed queens. Probably close to 25 years old, bought them used and my wife has never complained or told me to fix them.

Roger Bell
01-15-2020, 11:07 PM
We had an expensive Bosch front loader washer (and dryer) for about 15 years. 15 years of trouble, that is. Finally, I lost my patience and got fed up. FED UP.

Fed up with the electronics. Fed up with the "eco" water saving. Fed up with the buzzers demanding my immediate attention to a MACHINE. Fed up with the clogging filter in the drain, the leaking out onto the floor and the perpetual moldy smell. Fed up with "German Engineering." And, most of all, fed up with clothes that would simply not wash clean, to say nothing of smelling clean.

I could do better than that with a washboard in a cesspool.

Finally, I decided that I just wanted it out of my sight..... and started looking for the kind of wringer washer my mother had bought just after WW2. No electronics, no dials, no "features", no Eco water saving foolishness, no manuals in three languages, none of that. It just worked. It got the clothes clean. That was fantasy, but I found something nearly as simple.

A Speed Queen top loader. Entirely mechanical with no electronics. And, guess what.....clean underwear.

Aaron Rosenthal
01-15-2020, 11:25 PM
I'd love to even entertain the idea of a Speed Queen, but the closest dealer I can find is in the USA - all sorts of nightmares with that, including the possibility of warrantee service.
Sigh, of to picking "second best".

Wes Mitchell
01-16-2020, 9:13 AM
I guess this could be considered an interesting read. It's basically a direct rebuttle to the Speed Queen fans. The writer sounds like he was even starting to come around about Speed Queen (apparently the tests conducted don't necessarily reflect real world circumstance, especially for "work clothes" type of loads,) but once the 2018 models came out even the Speed Queen fans started to turn-tail.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

Curt Harms
01-16-2020, 9:45 AM
We have front load stacked Kenmore Elite washer/gas dryer. SWMBO has always preferred front loaders, says they use less water and being stacked take up less space. We got these in probably 1997-1998. and so far so good. One thing she insists on is leaving the washer door open for a day after use so the inside dries out. I did a search on likely points of failure after getting them and a big one was the 'star' that supports and turns the washer tub. It is prone to corrosion, letting it dry out between uses helps with that.

Frank Pratt
01-16-2020, 11:02 AM
The Maytag repair man died a few years ago.

Probably from overwork :D

Mel Fulks
01-16-2020, 1:59 PM
Probably from overwork :D

No, the coroner said his heart showed signs of "agitation" But the crime scene was just "too clean" to be sure.

Bill Dufour
01-16-2020, 2:47 PM
Consumers reports rated him highly because he made no noise after was dead. Also used no water or power.
Bill D

Tom M King
01-16-2020, 5:32 PM
My 103 year old Mother still has a working Harvest Gold Maytag top loader that was bought new in 1974. She had to go into assisted living this past Fall, but the people we found to rent the house are still using that washer.

We have some front loaders, and do at least one load a day, and many days, multiple loads. They typically last 6 to 8 years for us, so we favor price over brand, and bells, and whistles. Current one is LG, and I like the ease of cleaning the strainer in it. It has given absolutely no trouble. I forget the brand of the last one, but it finally started popping an error code EF. I told my Wife that it was telling us that it was Effed Up.

Frank Pratt
01-16-2020, 6:32 PM
No, the coroner said his heart showed signs of "agitation" But the crime scene was just "too clean" to be sure.

I was gonna vote this the best post in the thread, but then...

Consumers reports rated him highly because he made no noise after was dead. Also used no water or power.
Bill D

:D:D:D

Doug Dawson
01-16-2020, 6:40 PM
I guess this could be considered an interesting read. It's basically a direct rebuttle to the Speed Queen fans. The writer sounds like he was even starting to come around about Speed Queen (apparently the tests conducted don't necessarily reflect real world circumstance, especially for "work clothes" type of loads,) but once the 2018 models came out even the Speed Queen fans started to turn-tail.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

That was an interesting article, along with the (ex-)dealer Youtube reviews. It seems that SQ really screwed up with their mods to the 2018 top-loader washer to get it more highly rated in Consumer Reports. From watching the videos, you can see why.

I'm glad I have my 2016 SQ top-loaders, which perform phenomenally well. If you want new, supposedly the Ipso and Huebsch (sp?) are built to the old SQ standards.

Mel Fulks
01-16-2020, 7:01 PM
My congratulations to Bill , he used the "double whammy" well . But my own review of CR would make a good movie!
And it's for sale.

Lisa Starr
01-16-2020, 7:03 PM
Speed Queen. My set are workhorses that have never neeeded a repair in the 15 years I've had them. Old fashioned Top Loader washer that actually fills with water. If I lived in a different part of the country, I'd feel differently and probably have a Front Loader.

Frank Pratt
01-16-2020, 8:35 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out why CR is still in business. Every couple of years I'll take a look, forgetting how bad it is. Shame on me for wasting my time.

Ronald Blue
01-16-2020, 10:43 PM
First front loader was a Whirlpool Duet set. Washer locked the door at less than 2 weeks of age and we had a loaner washer for 2 months. The spider broke in it at around 8 years of age. Lifetime guarantee for the part, but a huge job to change. Bought an LG front loader and it's been great. It's a step down from Jim's model. average 4-5 loads per week. The Duet dryer failed and I got the first one I could find in stock. (Gas) If you have gas available they are much more economical than electric. Any no issues with our LG front load washer.

Mel Fulks
01-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Frank, they once gave a radio top marks because it would not kill you if it fell into the bath tub with you.

roger wiegand
01-17-2020, 7:46 AM
We recently replaced our 30+ year old Maytags with ~20 year old Maytags. We are blessed with having Norm (not that one), who is an old appliance repair guy who runs Normans's Used Appliances in the town next door. He buys up cosmetically good old appliances and then thoroughly refurbishes them mechanically and re-sells them at a cost 1/4-1/3 of what you might pay for new junk. Our kids have both bought washers, dryers and dishwashers from him and all of those are going strong years later.

Norm is pushing 70 from the wrong side, so I don't know what we'll do the next time we need a washing machine. (BTW, he won't touch Samsung, says they are unrepairable due to lack of parts. He'll tell you if you want reliability go with mechanical controls, the main reason that machines become unfixable is problems in the electronics where no replacement parts are available. Apparently a lot of the mechanical parts for the myriad brands made by Hotpoint have been basically unchanged for most of the last 50 years and are still readily available.)

Frank Pratt
01-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Our last set was Maytag Neptune. They worked very well, for a while. After 5 or 6 years the washer quit because the main control board failed. A new one was over $200. It was a common enough fault that the interweb was loaded with repair solutions. A capacitor and resistor had to be replaced. Cost was less than $2.00 and it took about 5 minutes to solder the new parts in place. A couple of years later it started sounding like a jet taking off when on the spin cycle. Again Maytag's only solution was to sell me the entire drum assembly for the modest sum of $650.00 (parts only). I bought 2 top quality bearings and seals for about $50. The labor to install them was about an hour & a half.

There were other minor issues as well, among them, those stupid wax motors that control the door lock failing. I had enough & got rid of them.