PDA

View Full Version : workbench protective cover

jeff norris 2011
01-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Any ideas?

The silicone sheets look interesting as they should be long wearing and easy to store.

I used to use hardboard cut to size, but it a pain to store when not in use.

No interest in a paper role.

I thought about maybe some Lino flooring cut to size.

Also thought about a rubber door matt style runner. (nice and grippy)

Charles Taylor
01-13-2020, 1:24 PM
I cover mine with misplaced tools and unfinished projects.

Erik Loza
01-13-2020, 1:27 PM
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING sticks to silicone: Sawdust, metal shavings, etc. Can't brush it off, can't sweep it away.

Erik

Frank Pratt
01-13-2020, 2:06 PM
To protect it from glue drips, a coating of Danish oil, or BLO will make it easy to pop of the dried glue while not making the surface slipery. Every couple of years another coat may need to be applied.

Günter VögelBerg
01-13-2020, 2:16 PM
I have a piece of masonite cut to fit for when I am painting or something. I just slide it behind the workbench against the wall when not using it.

Bruce Volden
01-13-2020, 3:27 PM
I cover mine with misplaced tools and unfinished projects.

I think I may have found my long lost brother!

Ken Platt
01-13-2020, 9:45 PM
I have and use some old window shades, which I like because they roll out and lay flat. I store the roll under the benchtop.

Ken

Ted Calver
01-14-2020, 1:07 AM
I covered mine with the cutting mat from Jo-Ann Fabrics shown in the background here. Not sure what it's made of, but it's about an eighth of an inch thick, cut resistant and cleans easily. Maybe a type of UHMW...or HDPE?

mark mcfarlane
01-14-2020, 8:53 AM
I put down a double-layer of canvas drop cloth (https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/trimaco-canvas-drop-cloth-8oz) when finishing and a grippy rubber mesh mat when sanding.

Otherwise the bench is maple with a thin coat of Seal-A-Cell on top. I chose Seal-A-Cell because there was a can on the shelf. Glue scrapes off 'easy enough' with a razor. I've refinished the bench top once in 3 years, just a quick sand and then reapply finish.

The canvas protects well enough for finishing projects. I use a smaller piece of canvas on the back bench when mixing/stirring finishes.

Jim Becker
01-14-2020, 10:03 AM
This is actually a relevant thing for a bench top I'm planning for another auxiliary bench setup. While the primary use for that top will be a down-draft sanding arrangement, there will also be consideration to using the surface for minor assembly and small item finishing. (It's an adjustable height bench setup, too) So I'm thinking about "inserts" that are optimal for each task...soft and perforated for down-draft sanding and solid and hard for minor assembly and detail finishing.

michael langman
01-14-2020, 10:18 AM
I just use clear 6mil plastic sheeting , and I fold it up and set where ever when not in use.

Thomas McCurnin
01-14-2020, 4:32 PM
1/4 inch melamine.