PDA

View Full Version : Sketch up price

Reg Mitchell
12-20-2005, 5:34 PM
I just fot an e-mail from schtch up and they are lowereing the price of it by $100 until the end of the year....not sure if it was just for me or if that is for everyone.....

Mark Ebert
12-20-2005, 7:36 PM
I just got that email as well... This is a very nice program but still at $400 its just over what I can really afford. Now if they dropped it slightly more to $300-350 (perhaps with a fee for tech. support instead) I would jump all over it.:)

- Mark

Dave Richards
12-20-2005, 8:32 PM
Reg, sounds like a good deal.

Doug Shepard
12-20-2005, 8:40 PM
Dont mean to hijack the thread, but what about the upgrade cost of SU4 to SU5? I got emails from SU announcing the upgrade release a couple months ago. I don't recall the cost (it may have been full retail?) but remember being a bit shocked that previous owners weren't given a much lower upgrade cost. At my SU proficiency level I think I'm going to forego the upgrade. Is there some compelling reason for WW project use that really warrants going to the newer version?

Dave Richards
12-20-2005, 9:09 PM
If I remember right the upgrade cost is only about $95. Much cheaper than buying it from the git go. @Last gave me a free upgrade from 3 to 4 because I bought about a month before 4 was released.

aaron allen
12-20-2005, 9:22 PM
Gentlemen of the design forum,

I am a cabinetmaker in search of design software.
I am not familiar with sketch up, what is it. Where is it.
Are there any other threads that discuss cab software?
I searched a bit on Sun. but as I'm too new and the search was fruitless.
Thanks, Aaron

Doug Shepard
12-20-2005, 9:26 PM
If I remember right the upgrade cost is only about $95. Much cheaper than buying it from the git go. @Last gave me a free upgrade from 3 to 4 because I bought about a month before 4 was released.

Wow - I'm going to have to re-investigate. I wouldn't have any problem with $95. Just don't think any of the upgrade emails I got from @Last had that price & all the links they emailed for upgrading just charged the full retail.

Dave Richards
12-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Doug, I think it looks like the full retail until you get to the checkout.

Aaron, go to http://sketchup.com to find out what it's about. Also do a search for SketchUp or SU in the design forum. You should find examples of various models drawn in SketchUp. While you're at the SketchUp site, view the tutorials to see it in action.

They have an 8 hour free trial download of SketchUp so you can see if you like it. It is fully functional with only a limit of 8 hours of running time. Actually, if you buy it, they send you the key to disable the clock.

Reg Mitchell
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
laughing....yea Dave it dose....i am still doing the tutitorals and they keep sending e-mails on how do I like it. I am still learing ...I am going to streach that user time as long as i can. But I guess its getting down to the wire on the time wheather i like it or not if i plan on getting it at that price. :eek:

Ben Abate
12-21-2005, 9:41 AM
Hello, I have been reading your posts about Sketchup. I am in the same boat as some others. I would like a simple way of making drawings for furniture or cabinets. I have the full version of CAD but always seem to forget the process. As they say; if you don't use it you loose it. Well I have lost the CAD way of drawing. Don't think I ever had it.

I'm not sure how much money it is worth to me. If it is a program that I would fine very useful I guess the price would be ok if reasonable. I just hate to buy something and get lost trying to learn how to use it and waste my money.

Thank you

Ben

Dave Richards
12-21-2005, 1:25 PM
Ben, I think you'll find SketchUp to be much more user friendly and intuitive that CAD programs. Keep in mind that it isn't really considered CAD software but rather a sketching tool. That said, it is capable of giving you as a woodworker as much detail (including dimensioning) as you could ask for.

Spend some time viewing the tutorial videos on the SketchUp website.

By the way, lest anyone think I'm selling SketchUp, I'm not. I don't get any monetary kickback from @Last. My only reward is knowing that fellow woodworkers are able to do what I can do with the software.

aaron allen
12-21-2005, 2:51 PM
Thanks Dave,
I almost missed your post, it appeared above mine although written in reply to mine. (weird?) I'm still trying to figure out this site in an efficient manner. Did I understand correctly, you can just search one forum instead of all of them? I typed in software and got thirty posts from the laser guys ( those nice guys who have toys I dare not venture into). I did find some sketchup posts once I started to use it as one word.
Did find the sketchup site through the link you posted, thanks again. AA

Reg Mitchell
12-21-2005, 3:44 PM
Hey Ben,
I am doing some of the tutiorals myself when i get time between work and being lazy. It seems to be a pretty nice prog. There are lots of guys with lots of knowledg in here that are more than willing to help if you need it as i will soon....DAVE :D

Dave Richards
12-21-2005, 3:45 PM
Aaron, click on Advanced search. Then you can get picky about the way the search is conducted. ;)

Marty Walsh
12-21-2005, 4:24 PM
I just called the nice folks at @Last and there is indeed a year end promotion going on! I was provided a 'promo' code to purchase a V5 copy at $100 off.

Thanks Reg and Mark for the heads up.

Now I just hope my accountant doesn't have a fit with me spending money on the business that won't be incorporated until after Jan 1st.

Happy Sketching and Happy Holidays to all...

- Marty -

Pam Niedermayer
12-22-2005, 4:36 AM
...Now I just hope my accountant doesn't have a fit with me spending money on the business that won't be incorporated until after Jan 1st...

Hmmm, you don't have to have a 1/1 fiscal year; so if you want to get your expense into the business, give it a fiscal year start that incorporates the expense. This assumes it's to be truly incorporated.

I just sprung for SU today, too. I'd been drooling for more than a year, had to take them up on the 20% price break.

Pam

Marty Walsh
12-22-2005, 8:09 PM
Hmmm, you don't have to have a 1/1 fiscal year; so if you want to get your expense into the business, give it a fiscal year start that incorporates the expense. This assumes it's to be truly incorporated.

I just sprung for SU today, too. I'd been drooling for more than a year, had to take them up on the 20% price break.

Pam

Pam,

I spoke with my accountant today. He wasn't thrilled that I'm spending corporation monies before the actual incorporation (truly,fully incorporated), but he said we can still take the deduction. I'm not sure how, and don't really care. That's why we HAVE accountants after all.

Enjoy SU, I certainly am. Oh, and Happy Holidays...;)

Back to Sketching...
- Marty -

Ron Gove
12-15-2007, 12:34 PM
There is a free version of Sketch-Up at http://sketchup.google.com that has all the features most people would need.

Jim Becker
12-15-2007, 3:05 PM
Ron, this thread is from 2005 prior to when SketchUp! was available for free.

Dick Heifner
12-15-2007, 7:02 PM
Hi All,
I thought Google sketchup was free, am I missing something?

Jamie Buxton
12-15-2007, 7:21 PM
Hi All,
I thought Google sketchup was free, am I missing something?

This thread was started in 2005, when Sketchup cost $500. Last year Google bought the company and it now publishes a no-cost version for non-commercial use. Somehow this thread resurfaced this week, confusing people.

Jim Becker
12-15-2007, 8:33 PM
Thread is now closed to avoid further confusion.

Jim
SMC Moderator